Email Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
59%
Very Good
21%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 82

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Email Digests

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Email Digests
Author: MarkDHamill
MOD Description: Sends customized email digests to self subscribed users of a phpBB board. Daily or weekly digests can be send. Digest can be customized to restrict posts to particular forums and to be sent at a particular time of the day. Excerpts from posts are presented with a convenient link back to the original message if the user wants to read more. Other filtering options are available. Requires crontab or similar server side utility to send the digests.

MOD Version: 1.0.13 (Updated 08/08/06)
Tested on phpBB Version: 2.0.21

Download File: digests_1.0.13a.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 40270 Bytes

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Users on your board can set it up so they receive emails every once in a while that contain all of the new posts that have been made on the forums. Great tool if you want to have a Newsletter.
agiacosa

Post by agiacosa »

Congratulations on the release of your mod.

I know you said you want to pass on development of it now, but...

Have you given any thought of making it so that those of us without cronjob access can still use it?

I know MD has made some changes to your code and to pseudocron code, but that is WAY beyond me.

Thank you.

Art
zocalo

Post by zocalo »

Message Removed because it was out of date and possibly confusing to people reading the thread.
Last edited by zocalo on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
ZOCALO
aliases: INDEMNITY83
FORUMMARK | VENTURE CREW | DORMLIFE
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

Indeed, congrats Mark. ;-)

Question, the MOD is now working for me, but appearing like this:

Now this question is that should this be appearing in the actual style of the forum, i.e. fisubsilver or subice (which I use)?

Wondering as I have B9 filtering Email and I'm not sure whether it is filtering out the actual style.

If the style should actually come through can someone post a screen shot sample of what it should look like?

The reason for the query is that if the actual HTML is preserved I want to look at it to see if I can add a format change to get the digest to have a custom header and footer, etc.

Cheers.
masterdavid

Post by masterdavid »

Congrats Mark... this is really a very nice tool indeed and deserves to be officially released as a MOD.

I am also finding a solution for this tekguru. I am thinking of including the stylesheet with the mail itself. If somebody can look at that part, the better since I am busy with some other things.

Anyway, seems like my integration with the Pseudocron MOD is functioning as expected since I am receiving mails now from my forum. I just have to tweak it a little. I did remove the Cron extension of the Pseudocron MOD but upon thinking of it, if this MOD can be made compatible with Pseudocron with the Cron extension, then this will be both flexible for those with and without Cron jobs capability in their servers.

If zocalo can do the integration.. the better. I can't release my code now since I am busy with Integra.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks guys. I put the first Beta release out in June 2003. Someone started noticing it in September 2003 and that's why I started actively tweaking it to meet all the requests from our large crew of beta testers. You betas were invaluable ... the product is much better as a result of your feedback.

The time though has come for me to step back from it and turn it over to someone else or perhaps the larger community. I just don't seem to have the interest in doing much more with it but I know there are others who would love to extend it further. I'll hang out on this thread and offer technical support as best I can. But features it can use include:

- Admin interface, so an administrator can manually add or remove people who receive digests, or even bulk load the subscriptions table (although that seems awfully spamish to me)
- Work with pseudo cron (would have to be done as a switch)
- Build in referential integrity so, for example, when a user is removed their subscription goes away.
- Better support for non-MySQL databases
- Troubleshooting FAQ
- Digest monitor, showing history of digests sent out, number bounced back, perhaps some artificial intelligence to remove digests for those that repeatedly bounce back.

When phpBB 2.2 is released of course someone will have to make it work in that environment ... likely this will be a lot of work.

If I have energy to work on a mod, I suspect it will be on an enhanced RSS mod that will deliver phpBB forums through a newsreader in a useable format, including access to private forums. But basically life is keeping me pretty busy so I don't often have energy to work on these things. I'm more likely to be blogging than coding.

I don't know how to transition these things. I don't know if I'm supposed to pick one person, or if one person should act as a lead developer and work with a broader group ... gosh this is practically a SourceForge project!

So if you have an interest tell me what you'd like to do and how committed you are to adding new functionality and incorporating the work of others. I guess I'd have to let the phpBB MOD team let them know if I am transferring authorship.

Again I can't say enough about all you Beta testers. It's been a great learning experience for me in the phpBB architecture and I've learned the MOD team won't let crap through.

Regarding tekguru's question, stylesheets sometimes will get stripped off depending on the email client. Yahoo mail, for example, will do this. I can't control that. But digest_constants.php has some switches in it that allow for turning styles on or off, to use the default stylesheet for a board or even for a custom stylesheet.
zocalo

Post by zocalo »

masterdavid wrote: ... I am thinking of including the stylesheet with the mail itself. If somebody can look at that part, the better since I am busy with some other things. ...

I never could get the stylesheet stuff to work right they way it is, and I wanted a slightly diffren't layout to the email so I modified the mail_digests.php code so it builds emails that look like this:

It would need some polishing, but the bulk of the work is done.

[EDIT: Oops, I think I accidentally removed the image from my server, here's a new link to the picture]
Last edited by zocalo on Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZOCALO
aliases: INDEMNITY83
FORUMMARK | VENTURE CREW | DORMLIFE
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Nice, Zocolo. I like the digest options in a table ... looks much cleaner.
masterdavid

Post by masterdavid »

well... from the looks of it.. seems like Zocolo is really the man for the job. I think he is the guy you are looking for Mark.
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

I agree with you there David, go Zocolo go!

Erm and chance of a copy of the updated code? ;-)
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Okay, Zocalo if you feel up to being the new Email Digest author you have my permission to go for it. You have certainly contributed some valuable additions to this mod in the past so I think you know the code pretty well. I don't know if you've done other mods or not. It doesn't pay well but having your name in lights, so to speak, has some gratification.

I don't know if I have to notify the Mod Team or not but you certainly have my consent to take over. Some new energy to the mod might really spruce it up.

I'll keep watching the topic but unless you decide you don't want to make the mods I'll assume you'll handle it from here on.

I do ask one favor: give me credit in the existing code as an original author.

I'm also available as a consultant if you need one, but the code should not be sufficiently mysterious ... I tried to make it understandable.

Enjoy.
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

As to what I know can be achieved using the digest MOD here is an extract from a digest already published by a forum, who will needless to day not share the code.

Click on the image if you wish to see the full extract:

Rather awesome is it not?

Pictures included, sponsored articles, hot articles, and daily extracts - wow!
aalishan

Post by aalishan »

Hi
I am getting this error when I click on 'make Digest Changes' on digests.php

Could not insert or update phpbb_mod_subscriptions table

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1062 Duplicate entry '5' for key 1

INSERT INTO phpbb_mod_subscriptions (user_id, digest_type, format, show_text, show_mine, new_only, send_on_no_messages, send_hour, text_length) VALUES (5, 'DAY', 'TEXT', 'YES', 'YES', 'FALSE', 'NO', '17', 100)

Line : 428
File : /path/digests.php

..Any advice
Thanks
Aalishan
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

tekguru wrote: As to what I know can be achieved using the digest MOD here is an extract from a digest already published by a forum, who will needless to day not share the code.

Very pretty. But if phpBB is released under the GPL then my mod is also GPL (it's in the header of every file) then it strikes me that this author also has to GPL their mods, at least if asked by someone.

If written generically it looks like this would be a valuable mod to the mod.

I am glad to see it is being widely used and so creatively.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”