Email Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
59%
Very Good
21%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 82

daddyo

Post by daddyo »

I'm currently experiencing a problem where no one can unsubscribe, but they can change between weekly and daily.

Has this ever been an issue before?
Daddy-O Deals - Who's Your Daddy-O?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If a user cannot unsubscribe, there should be an error message.

It may be they have unsubscribed. If after going unsubscribing they select the digests link it should indicate they currently do not have a subscription.

To my knowledge no one has reported this problem before.

If your unsubscribing users report an error, that would be helpful. There are only 2 SQL call though: one to remove rows from the phpbb_mod_digest_subscribed_forums table and then one to remove a row from the phpbb_mod_subscriptions table.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
daddyo

Post by daddyo »

MarkDHamill wrote: If after going unsubscribing they select the digests link it should indicate they currently do not have a subscription.

Sorry. I should have been more clear.

I tested it with an account of my own. After removing myself from the digest, I went back into it and it had "Daily" marked.

But then I went into the subscriptions table in mySQL and it had deleted my subscription.

I guess the display was throwing me off. I would have though it would marked the "Unsubscribed" radio button, but it defaults back to "Daily."

Sorry for the confusion.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I agree that could be clearer. I should probably change the default if there is no subscription to None.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
daddyo

Post by daddyo »

Have you done any research into Digest titles?

Mine always hit my Spam Filter, and I imagine they do for most other people receiving the digest as well, thus defeating the purpose of direct marketing with the digest.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the subject line of the email? It should default to Message Board name followed by "Digests".

The title name can be configured in /lang/lang_english/lang_digests.php if you don't like it, along with many other things about the digest.

Depending on the content in the digest, some of it might be construed as spam. I cannot do much about this.

However it is a good idea as a future feature to warn upon subscription that people may need to configure their spam filter to let in emails from the domain or with a particular subject line.
RJPotts

Post by RJPotts »

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help with a problem I'm having with this mod. I have a previous version installed on a moderately modified board running an older version of phpBB.

I've setup another board using phpBB 2.0.21 and would like to install the digests mod, I've tried with both 1.0.15 and 1.0.13 and errors were the same (apart from line numbers), there are several other mods installed (list below).

I've restored the original files and have tried a fresh installation of 1.0.15, I've modified the DIGEST_SITE_URL entry in digest_constants.php and it points to the root of my phpBB installation which is also the root of the site (I've tried copying everything into a /forum sub-folder (with alteration to the DIGEST_SITE_URL ) and the problems were identical).

When calling mail_digests.php by URL there are no problems, likewise with the test / simulate switches. I can call it by cron but that's when the problems arise, the error I see is;

Code: Select all

Warning: include(./extension.inc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/bahr4com/public_html/mail_digests.php on line 38

Warning: include(): Failed opening './extension.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/bahr4com/public_html/mail_digests.php on line 38

Warning: include(./common.): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/bahr4com/public_html/mail_digests.php on line 39

Warning: include(): Failed opening './common.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/bahr4com/public_html/mail_digests.php on line 39

Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_pagestart() in /home/bahr4com/public_html/mail_digests.php on line 41
If I change the

('DIGEST_SITE_URL', 'http://www.mydomain.com/');

to

('DIGEST_SITE_URL', 'http://www.mydomain.com/test/');

(a non existant folder) the result is the same, i.e. no mention of the test/ folder within the error message. If I change it to ('DIGEST_SITE_URL', './'); (the same path as used in digests.php which displays fine) then the result is the same, if I use /home/bahr4com/public_html/ the result is also the same.

I do hope it's possible to get it working as I've found the digests invaluable on my other board. If anyone can point me towards a solution or to where I might find a problem I'd be very grateful indeed.

Rgds & many thanks
Richard

List of installed mods;

Attachmod
Topic Calendar
(Event) Registration mod
Log me on automatically checked by default
Re-send account activation email
Animated New Message Icon
Announcements Mod
Show user groups (in viewtopic)
Available characters in signature
Available characters in title
Hide PHP date
Searchbox
Birthdays mod (terrafrost)
Show number of newposts
MSN messenger button on profile
13 or older only (i.e. non Coppa)
Disable website entry during registration
2nd website
Last visit on memberlist
Expire unactivated accounts
Alternate PM notification (if popup blocked)
FAQ Editor
JulieJesta

Post by JulieJesta »

hiya, i read a few pages of this topic, but with over 60 i could not keep reading. Sorry.
i says this mod takes an hour to instal? can it be done with easy mod? are there cetrain syles it will not work with? my defualt board theme is aphrodite purple, which is totally different coding from subsilver. i'm not that hot on coding so i really need advice as to wether you guys think it would work for me!

i dont want to mess everything up. :)
Julie, Mum to 1 boy, 1 boyfriend, and many fluffy pets. :)
http://www.parentstime.co.uk
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

RJPotts, most likely you will need to hardcode the absolute path to mail_digests.php into that program. See batch_scheduling.txt.

JulieJesta, please download the latest version from my web site. The URL is in my signature. To say it is EasyMod compliant is both correct and misleading. EasyMod will install it just fine, however there is a lot of work that must be done outside of EasyMod. It's a fairly technical thing to do. Read install.txt carefully. I'd say you'd be lucky to do it in an hour. Just getting the cron working correctly can take a day or more of experimentation.

This is not a mod for the faint of heart.
JulieJesta

Post by JulieJesta »

Mark, thanks very much for the warning. :)
i know to only do it on a day off... starting early too. thanks!
Julie, Mum to 1 boy, 1 boyfriend, and many fluffy pets. :)
http://www.parentstime.co.uk
severdia

So far so good

Post by severdia »

I've ben using this mod for a while now and everything seems to be working well. The only thing that seems quirky is sometimes my own messages don't show up in the email digests. I don't know what the cause might be, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

I'd also love to see an admin page for the mod, which would show stats like the number of digest subscribers and a ranking of the most-subscribed forums, etc. Maybe some stats on each of the options that users have (e.g. How many people prefer HTML to text-based emails? What's the best time of day for people?). I can go into phpMyAdmin to see the raw table data on these things, but it's not very convenient.

Thanks!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

You might want to upgrade to my latest version (in my signature line) to get newer features like BBcode support in HTML digests.

There was another version based on mine that used to be available that had an administrator interface. It was maintained on the dormlife.us domain. The domain went dormant I am afraid, and it is reputedly a bit buggy.

I can email it to anyone who wants it. Send me a PM.
SpeleoFool

Post by SpeleoFool »

Emailer Bug Found (low priority)

Hi, and thanks for a great mod. :)

I am using your emailer to enable some additional HTML-based email templates on my board and discovered a bug in the process. It's also present in the phpBB emailer, so not your fault. And it's not anything that most people will ever see because it's in code that is not executed in the released phpBB or in your mod.

The problem is in the $emailer->assign_vars method:

$this->vars = (empty($this->vars)) ? $vars : $this->vars . $vars;
The problem here is that the '.' operator is a string concat and will corrupt the data in $this->vars if a secondary call to the assign_vars method is ever made. This situation never occurs in phpBB or in your Digests mod so the bug never presents, but it should be fixed in case anyone else needs to add data to the emailer in stages like I did.

Since $vars is an associative array, you can use the PHP array_merge() function to add new values. Using array_merge() will replace any duplicate array elements with the contents of the new array, so it is convenient for populating the emailer with default values and then overriding those vars with different data, for example. Here's the code I used to replace the faulty line above:

$this->vars = (empty($this->vars)) ? $vars : array_merge($this->vars, $vars);
Cheers!
Speleo.
Last edited by SpeleoFool on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks. Please submit this as a bug to the phpBB folks, if you haven't already.
SpeleoFool

Post by SpeleoFool »

No problem.

I did submit a bug report, which I should have mentioned. Thanks for the reminder. Here's the link for reference:
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=6194

Cheers!
Speleo.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”