Email Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
59%
Very Good
21%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 82

ogimaa

Re: Email Digests

Post by ogimaa »

THANKS!!!

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Okay, I updated my 1.0.17 digest archive with the changes discussed a few posts above this one.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

MarkDHamill

A small bug in 1.0.17

Post by MarkDHamill »

Discovered by Sylvain Bourdon.

This bug is considered minor

I repacked this version a number of times to address bugs that resulted from not having enough testers. In an earlier version I had a mail digests path in the Digest Admin Configuration screen. I removed it when I realized it couldn't work. Unfortunately, I forgot to fix the Javascript. Otherwise, with the bug you press Submit the form submittal logic won't work to do things like check to see if the Site URL field has a / at the end of it.

To fix, edit /templates/subSilver/admin/digest_config_body.tpl as follows.

Change line 9 from:

Code: Select all

function validate_fields (site_url_field, custom_ss_field, date_format, html_encoding, text_encoding, users_per_page, send_key, summary_date, mail_digests_path)
to:

function validate_fields (site_url_field, custom_ss_field, date_format, html_encoding, text_encoding, users_per_page, send_key, summary_date)
Then change line 141 from:

<form name="digest_settings_form" action="{S_POST_ACTION}" method="post" onsubmit="return validate_fields (site_url, custom_ss_path, date_format, html_encoding, text_encoding, users_per_page, send_key, summary_date, mail_digests_path);">
to:

<form name="digest_settings_form" action="{S_POST_ACTION}" method="post" onsubmit="return validate_fields (site_url, custom_ss_path, date_format, html_encoding, text_encoding, users_per_page, send_key, summary_date);">
Finally, remove lines 44-47 which are:

if (validate_field_not_blank (mail_digests_path) == false)
		{
			return false;
		}
I will repack my 1.0.17 archive with this correction.

aalishan

Post by aalishan »

BY when can we expect Email Digest for PHPBB3

abhishek1711

Re:

Post by abhishek1711 »

do the user get the digests by default and have to specifically choose not to recieve the same ;)

coz i want it to be sent to evry1 :)

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

aalishan wrote:BY when can we expect Email Digest for PHPBB3
I would not hold your breath. As you probably know phpBB 3 is a big change, new templating system, etc. I would say optimistically it is sixth months away.

MarkDHamill

Re: Re:

Post by MarkDHamill »

abhishek1711 wrote:do the user get the digests by default and have to specifically choose not to recieve the same ;)

With the latest release 1.0.17 the Administrator can set this as an option in the Administrator Control Panel.

abhishek1711

Re: Re:

Post by abhishek1711 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
abhishek1711 wrote:do the user get the digests by default and have to specifically choose not to recieve the same ;)

With the latest release 1.0.17 the Administrator can set this as an option in the Administrator Control Panel.
hmmm bt the link on first post is of 1.0.13?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Yeah, because that was the last version I could get the phpBB gods to place as an official Mod. Not that I haven't tried since then, but they have mostly been ignoring mods, concentrating on other stuff like phpBB 3. So those who are interested follow this topic and download latest versions from my site.

MarkDHamill

Another tiny bug in 1.0.17

Post by MarkDHamill »

This is only a problem if a user receives a private message in the digest and they turn off the option to show the text of the private message. In this case the header will show "Message Excerpt" when it should say "Subject".

Change line 396 in mail_digests.php from:

'</th><th>' . $lang['digest_message_excerpt'] . "</th>\n";
to:

'</th><th>' . $lang['digest_subject'] . "</th>\n";
This is really trivial.

vic2007

Post by vic2007 »

Hello Mark,

Great Mod - just what i needed, extremely easy to instal too. I just installed this on my board yesterday.

But Im faicng a problem with setting the timezones - I did get the mod to send me an email, then set up the curl job in crontrab & that seemed to work too until i played around with the timezones & am very confused now ... cant seem to figure my way back to the timezone settings that worked the first time.

There are 4 timezone settings:-
1. Server time ---- this is set to '-5 or CDT' (this can not be changed)
2. PHPBB board time ----- this is set to IST (Indian Standard Time = GMT - 5.5)
3. Timezones set in Individual profiles ---- these again I have no control on as people set different time zones, but I imagine most people will not have changed the default board setting of IST
4. the 'Time of Day to send Digest' setting ----- this i believe is what controls the digest sending time. Am I correct in assuming that if a user sets this to 6am then the digest will be mailed out to him at 6am CDT ?

Also, which ones of the above timezone settings do I have to set ? Do I have to change the PHPBB Board time to CDT too ? and do I also have to ask all members to change the time in their profiles to CDT (server time) ?

I will prefer to keep the board & members profiles times to be IST & not CDT, if possible, as almost all the members are in India.

Please help me out here.

cheeers,

vic

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I have not tested timezone logic on timezones that are on the half hour. I am not sure how that would work. Most likely users would get digests either at the hour expected, or one hour before or after.

Digests are mailed out based on the timezone in their phpBB user profile. The software has to figure out the difference between the server time and their time to make sure it goes out at the correct time.

vic2007

Post by vic2007 »

Hi Mark,

My first curl job just went through fine & I figured the timezones issue :

i havent changed any time settings - & the mailing worked
the only thing is that the system doesnt figure out time in user profiles - & the messages are sent out according to the server time.

let me explain this better - i set 'digest sent out time' as 6am for all users & all the users + the board is on IST (GMT + 5.5) but the email was sent out at 6am CDT (GMT - 5) which is the server time. But this is not too much of a problem, & as long as the digests are going out Im a happy man :)

The only problem will be when the board members try to change the 'digest send out time' to say 8 pm & wonder why they recieve the digest at 8 pm CDT when their profile time + board time is in IST.

But overall I must say the MOD is excellent & I already have feedback from a few memebrs saying they are loving it.

Ta,

Vic

P.S. - Im on PhpBB 2.0.22 & the latest version of digests mod (1.0.17)

abhishek1711

Post by abhishek1711 »

vic2007 wrote:Hello Mark,

Great Mod - just what i needed, extremely easy to instal too. I just installed this on my board yesterday.

vic
Is it really easy to install??? well his personal website explains it be a complex mod to install etc and also says he an do it for a charge.

vic2007

Post by vic2007 »

hi,
Is it really easy to install??? well his personal website explains it be a complex mod to install etc
Actually I was fairly surprised at the ease of install. Must admit Mark's instructions on his website are so clear and straightforward that it is difficult to go wrong ;)

I am not a developer & have no experience of php but can follow instructions in mods fairly easily (a skill i had to pick up when i installed my forum last month) - so if i can install this mod by myself, it is purely because of the easy & logical instructions on Mark's website.

cheers,

vic

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”