Email Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
59%
Very Good
21%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 82

EphesiansSix

Re: Email Digests

Post by EphesiansSix »

I ran the new one and it still says 1.0.18...maybe I'm doing something wrong...I upload the install folder and upgrade file, run the upgrade, and get confirmation that it's ok. The mySQL table "phpbb_mod_digest_settings" says 1.0.19 in the version field. ::shrug:: Again though, not a big deal. The rest of it works great :D
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Huh, and I tested it. Well, you can use a tool like phpMyAdmin to set it to 1.0.19. Look in the phpbb_mod_digest_settings table.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
lifedeuce

Post by lifedeuce »

Can someone tell me what file I would need to edit to add an advertising banner script to the daily e-mail digest? A google adsense, Burst Media or ValueClick ad would be desired, but really any javascript banners.
I have added a background image to my e-mail digest using CSS, but do not know how to make the image linkable to a script. If we could add advertising to our daily e-mail digest it would create a new revenue stream and make this MOD even more popular. Please teak a look at my e-mail digest to see the work I've done on it so far: http://www.dawgbones.com/boneyarddigest.htm
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

lifedeuce wrote:Can someone tell me what file I would need to edit to add an advertising banner script to the daily e-mail digest? A google adsense, Burst Media or ValueClick ad would be desired, but really any javascript banners.
I have added a background image to my e-mail digest using CSS, but do not know how to make the image linkable to a script. If we could add advertising to our daily e-mail digest it would create a new revenue stream and make this MOD even more popular. Please teak a look at my e-mail digest to see the work I've done on it so far: http://www.dawgbones.com/boneyarddigest.htm
That would be /language/lang_english/email/mail_digests_html.tpl.

However, be aware that people can get text or HTML digests, so those selecting text won't see it. Also be aware that email clients take various approaches to allowing Javascript. Some don't understand it. Others see a security issue and will ask the user for permission to invoke the Javascript.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
lifedeuce

Post by lifedeuce »

Mark knowing that the e-mail client may not like the javascript, is there another coding technique that can be used that the e-mail client won't mind?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Well, you could hard code HTML into the email template, but I don't know if that will work with Google Adsense.
woodsnwind

Post by woodsnwind »

I am running the latest phpbb, brand new install on hostmonster via simple scripts. I uploaded the 1.0.19 files and tried to run the http://www.mysite.com/phpBB2/install/digest_tables.php script, using my site and dir info. I get this...

Code: Select all

Warning: include(../extension.inc) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/carolir1/public_html/groups/install/digest_tables.php on line 35

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '../extension.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/carolir1/public_html/groups/install/digest_tables.php on line 35

Warning: include(../common.) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/carolir1/public_html/groups/install/digest_tables.php on line 36

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '../common.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/carolir1/public_html/groups/install/digest_tables.php on line 36

Warning: include(../includes/digest_functions.) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/carolir1/public_html/groups/install/digest_tables.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '../includes/digest_functions.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/carolir1/public_html/groups/install/digest_tables.php on line 37

Fatal error: Call to undefined function message_die() in /home/carolir1/public_html/groups/install/digest_tables.php on line 264
There was no extension.inc in the download, where should that come from?

I tried using phpmyadmin (i'm a rookie with that) to make my own tables but cannnot insert the digest settings row. Nor can I figure out how to set the CONSTRAINT on the subsciptions table.

Any hints appreciated. This is for a non-profit i volunteer for, so we can't cough up the $$ for the personal service. <grin>

tia

-terryd
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Terry, check to see if the three tables actually got created and populated by the script. There should be three tables with the prefix phpbb_mod_.
woodsnwind

Post by woodsnwind »

The script just dies. no tables were created, so I've been trying to do them by hand, by reading your script.

I can't figure out the CONSTRAINT thing on line 59, nor the "insert one row" on line 107. It feels like I'm awful close...

I know just enough to be dangerous... :roll:

-terryd
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Are you using MySQL for your database?

The script is rather old and has not been thoroughly tested, particularly for non MySQL databases because I do not have the right test environment.
woodsnwind

Post by woodsnwind »

Yes Mark, this IS a MySQL DB. If I just knew how to do the mySQL commands to add those lines and attach the CONSTRAINT thing I might be in business... sigh.

thx.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Here is the SQL that typically gets executed with MySQL. It assumes phpbb_ is the prefix for your tables. I would try one at a time in phpMyAdmin in the SQL window for your database and see where it complains.

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE phpbb_mod_subscriptions ( user_id INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, digest_type CHAR(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'DAY', format CHAR(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'TEXT', show_text CHAR(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'YES', show_mine CHAR(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'YES', new_only CHAR(5) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'TRUE', send_on_no_messages CHAR(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'NO', send_hour SMALLINT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, text_length INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, show_pms CHAR(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'YES', CONSTRAINT phpbb_mod_subscriptions_pk PRIMARY KEY (user_id) )

CREATE TABLE phpbb_mod_subscribed_forums ( user_id MEDIUMINT(8) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, forum_id SMALLINT(5) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, UNIQUE user_id (user_id, forum_id) )

CREATE TABLE phpbb_mod_digest_settings ( table_key int(11) NOT NULL default '0', version varchar(10) NOT NULL default '1.0.19', site_url varchar(255) NOT NULL default 'http://www.example.com/phpBB/', autosubscribe_users char(3) NOT NULL default 'NO', autosubscribe_daily varchar(4) NOT NULL default 'DAY', weekly_digest_day int(11) NOT NULL default '0', use_custom_stylesheet char(3) NOT NULL default 'NO', custom_stylesheet_path varchar(255) NOT NULL default 'templates/subSilver/digest_stylesheet.css', date_format varchar(20) NOT NULL default 'd M Y h:i A', server_display_date varchar(20) NOT NULL default 'm/d/Y', html_encoding varchar(20) NOT NULL default 'iso-8859-1', text_encoding varchar(20) NOT NULL default 'us-ascii', show_summary char(3) NOT NULL default 'YES', summary_type varchar(4) NOT NULL default 'HTML', require_send_key char(3) NOT NULL default 'NO', send_key varchar(255) NOT NULL default 'qwertyuiop', users_per_page int(11) NOT NULL default '20', mail_digests_phpbb_path varchar(255) NOT NULL default './', PRIMARY KEY (table_key) ) TYPE=MyISAM COMMENT='Digest Settings Table'

INSERT INTO phpbb_mod_digest_settings (table_key) VALUES (1)
gcoulter

Post by gcoulter »

Hi, do you know if your digest mod works with the mod for Joomla?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I have tried to get the mod to work with Joomla before but with no success. The main issue is that Joomla subsumes the phpBB profile capability, and I depend on joining with the profile table to get critical information. Also, the administrator interface needs the ability to subscribe people to digests and that is hard to do with Joomla handling the registration.

It probably could be done but I am not enough of a Joomla guru to know how to do it.
gcoulter

Re: Email Digests & Joomla

Post by gcoulter »

Hi

I've had a go at integrating joomla, phpbb and your digest. It seems to work ok however when you click on the digest link it's losing the formatting.

Any ideas?

I made all the mods manually except for the profile.php file which was already modded. When a user gets to the forum they will be already logged in.

Thanks

Graham

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”