Email Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
59%
Very Good
21%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 82

MarkDHamill

Re: Email Digests

Post by MarkDHamill »

No, I have no particular insight. Presumably Joomla does something to mess with the phpBB templating system and the problem is there.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
gcoulter

Re: Email Digests & Joomla

Post by gcoulter »

Hi

I've figured out why, the digest uses styling from the overall_header.tpl file which had the style formats removed for the joomla mod. I've now re-inserted them and got the formatting back.
I thought it used the css file.

Thanks, now I've just got to wrestle with the cron job!!!

Graham
:D
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Great! If you have the time at some point to document all the changes you made I would appreciate knowing what they are so I can keep them in a knowledge base. I get this request from time to time.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
lifedeuce

Post by lifedeuce »

Is there any reason why I am the only one that gets the e-mail digest? I have the cron set up and that is what delivers the e-mail digest to me so I know that works. I have all users set to receive the digest as well, but none are getting it and I have a couple of test accounts set up with different e-mail addresses that do not get it. Great MOD, but I have not been able to get it to work for the masses.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I am surprised that no one other than you gets the digest. The installation instructions has a number of suggestions that may be causing digests not to be received. I am copying and pasting them below. The two in bold are the most likely causes.
mail_digests.php says it sent me a digest, but I never received it

* Are you looking in the wrong email box? The digest is sent to the email address in your phpBB profile.
* Your internet service provider may be marking the digest as spam. Check your ISP spam folder, your whitelist spam folder, or your email spam folder as applicable.
* It may take some hours to receive the digest, if the internet is congested or the intervening mail servers are backlogged.
* Your ISP's mail server may be overloaded, and it may take some time for it to catch up. You might want to check their support page to see if this is a general problem
* Check the Administrator email address in the phpBB Administrator Control Panel, General Setting. Does the administrator's email domain match the board's email domain? Sometimes if there is a mismatch your web host will say, "How can this domain be sending email by someone from another domain?" If your server is configured this way, such email addresses may be flagged as "spam" and the email may not go through. If you suspect this is the problem, contact your web host.
* Your web host may be scanning outgoing mail for spam and it is thinking the digest is spam. Web hosts don't want to get blacklisted. If you suspect this is the problem, file a support request with your web host.

* If the board is behind a firewall, it may not be able to send email outside the internal network.
lifedeuce

Post by lifedeuce »

The admin e-mail is the same as what I have put in the cron job.
Your web host may be scanning outgoing mail for spam and it is thinking the digest is spam. Web hosts don't want to get blacklisted. If you suspect this is the problem, file a support request with your web host.
What exactly would I say to them?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Tell them your phpBB board is sending out email but it may not be getting past the server's mail server. Ask if they do any filtering like this. File a support ticket.

Sometimes if you get some sort of webmail with your account, you can log into it and see messages sent and received.
bwoodzy

Malformed links in digest emails - Re: Email Digests

Post by bwoodzy »

Thanks for the great mod, Mark!

Just one problem I'm having with it so far.

In the digest emails our forum members receive, the links are not forming correctly.

There is probably a setting I need to fix, and I've searched high and low for it

The links to posts come out like this:

http://www.mnwin.orgwforum/viewtopic.php?....

instead of

http://www.mnwin.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?....

As you can see, the ' / ' is being left out of the link between my domain name and the forum directory.

In the digest_constants file, I do have the digest site url set correctly, but this issue persists.

I'm using...

phpbb v2.0.21
Apache1.3.41
Ben-SSL/1.57 (Unix)

I have no other mods installed except EasyMod, which I used to install this and one that displays first/last name in profile (which was installed manually).

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Meanwhile I'm having to let all users know to adjust the URLs in their digests accordingly, which I'm sure many of them have no idea what I'm talking about.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I don't know if you downloaded the version from phpBB.com or my web site. Hopefully you are using the version on my website. Anyhow, you likely missed this part of the installation instructions:
On the Digest Configuration screen, correct the field with "Your forum's site URL" so it reflects the public URL to your forum. Make sure you leave the / on at the end - this is crucial!
bwoodzy

No Digest Config screen! - Re: Email Digests

Post by bwoodzy »

On the Digest Configuration screen, correct the field with "Your forum's site URL" so it reflects the public URL to your forum. Make sure you leave the / on at the end - this is crucial!
I don't have a Digest Configuration screen. No, I didn't get this from your site, I got it from phpbb.org download area, which you should be updating anyway (IMHO) if you are going to offer a version off-site. :roll:

Morever, your http://phpbbservices.com site is not loading for me! So even if I wanted to update this, I couldn't do so from your site. :?:
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Believe me I have tried to get the phpBB Mod Team to approve a change to the mod. In one case I waited in their queue more than a year! The process got very discouraging. In any event if you are using version 1.0.13 you need to change the following code in includes/digest_constants.php:

Code: Select all

define('DIGEST_SITE_URL', $protocol . trim($board_config['server_name']) . (( $board_config['server_port'] <> 80 ) ? ':' . trim($board_config['server_port']) : '') . preg_replace('/^\/?(.*?)\/?$/', "\\1", trim($board_config['script_path'])) . '/'); // if this gives you trouble, simply substitute it for the full URL to your site, leaving on the trailing '/'
if (substr(DIGEST_SITE_URL,(strlen(DIGEST_SITE_URL)-1),1) <> '/')
{
	define('DIGEST_SITE_URL', DIGEST_SITE_URL . '/');
}
To something like this:

define('DIGEST_SITE_URL','http://mysite.com/forum/';
Make sure you leave the / at the end.

Not sure why the phpbbservices.com domain is an issue for you. Perhaps your firewall is blocking you. If you want the latest version send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you.
LHG

custom return path

Post by LHG »

I would like to send all the bounced digest emails to a special mailbox.
Can I customize the return path?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

There is no current functionality to do this and I believe you were the first to request it, so I will keep it in mind for a future version.

I can tell you where code changes would be needed. The file is includes/functions_messenger.php. If you examine my changes in the digests_install.xml file you may be able to figure out where the code would go. It should go in the build_header function.
LHG

Post by LHG »

I am using v 1.0.18

I was looking for the line to change in the files for a different return path.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Sorry, wrong topic!

For phpBB 2, you would need to hack /includes/digest_emailer.php.

You would probably add it right after this code:

if ($is_html)
		{
 			$this->extra_headers = (($this->reply_to != '') ? "Reply-to: $this->reply_to\n" : '') . (($this->from != '') ? "From: $this->from\n" : "From: " . $board_config['board_email'] . "\n") . "Return-Path: " . $board_config['board_email'] . "\nMessage-ID: <" . md5(uniqid(time())) . "@" . $board_config['server_name'] . ">\nContent-transfer-encoding: base64\nDate: " . date('r', time()) . "\nX-Priority: 3\nX-MSMail-Priority: Normal\nX-Mailer: PHP\nX-MimeOLE: Produced By phpBB2\n" . $this->extra_headers . (($cc != '') ? "Cc: $cc\n" : '')  . (($bcc != '') ? "Bcc: $bcc\n" : '');
		    $this->msg = rtrim(chunk_split(base64_encode($this->msg)));
		}
		else 
		{
			$this->extra_headers = (($this->reply_to != '') ? "Reply-to: $this->reply_to\n" : '') . (($this->from != '') ? "From: $this->from\n" : "From: " . $board_config['board_email'] . "\n") . "Return-Path: " . $board_config['board_email'] . "\nMessage-ID: <" . md5(uniqid(time())) . "@" . $board_config['server_name'] . ">\nMIME-Version: 1.0\nContent-type: text/plain; charset=" . $this->encoding . "\nContent-transfer-encoding: 8bit\nDate: " . date('r', time()) . "\nX-Priority: 3\nX-MSMail-Priority: Normal\nX-Mailer: PHP\nX-MimeOLE: Produced By phpBB2\n" . $this->extra_headers . (($cc != '') ? "Cc: $cc\n" : '')  . (($bcc != '') ? "Bcc: $bcc\n" : '');
		}
I don't intend to make any further updates to the phpBB 2 version of Digests except possibly critical security updates, as it is being phased out in favor of phpBB 3.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”