Email Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
59%
Very Good
21%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 82

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Indemnity_83 wrote: I see now, if you moved all the language items into a diffrent file, and included it before the constants, you wouldn't have some of the variables being initialized (like you said). I can't give you a reason why the language files are in with digests constants, better question for Mark. I assume it was to keep the number of files in the MOD down.

And the answer is ... because I didn't think about it! It makes sense though to move language issues into the appropriate language directory. Good ideas all ... just goes to show that some fresh minds working on the project will improve things.
Last edited by MarkDHamill on Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Indemnity_83 wrote: [I may have a solution for the permissions sooner than I thought, I took a very quick look though Mark's code and nothing stood out to me. But after comparing it to the rest of phpBB I decided I wanted to re-write the auth code using phpBB's built in is_auth() funciton. So I've done that much to the digests.php file, now I just need to re-work the mail_digests.php to match and do some testing. It so far has solved my problem of MOD [Private] forums being hidden from those who should be able to see it, as well as kept it out of sight for those who aren't supposed to see it.

I looked at is_auth in development and decided not to use it. Why I don't totally recall, perhaps because it was not documented very well. I know it's important to specify the parameters very carefully. Basically I wanted to make sure I presented the list of forums a user could read, which is not the same as those seen on the Main Index. And it can be subtle. For example in most cases you can see all the forums, but I wanted to only show those one could actually view messages.

So tread with care and test this part with care!
Indemnity_83

Post by Indemnity_83 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
Indemnity_83 wrote:[I may have a solution for the permissions sooner than I thought, I took a very quick look though Mark's code and nothing stood out to me. But after comparing it to the rest of phpBB I decided I wanted to re-write the auth code using phpBB's built in is_auth() funciton. So I've done that much to the digests.php file, now I just need to re-work the mail_digests.php to match and do some testing. It so far has solved my problem of MOD [Private] forums being hidden from those who should be able to see it, as well as kept it out of sight for those who aren't supposed to see it.

I looked at is_auth in development and decided not to use it. Why I don't totally recall, perhaps because it was not documented very well. I know it's important to specify the parameters very carefully. Basically I wanted to make sure I presented the list of forums a user could read, which is not the same as those seen on the Main Index. And it can be subtle. For example in most cases you can see all the forums, but I wanted to only show those one could actually view messages.

So tread with care and test this part with care!

Actaully the is_auth() funciton allows a check for any of the assignable permissions (VIEW, READ, POST, REPLY, EDIT, DELETE, STICKY, ANNOUNCE, VOTE, POLLCREATE) so it was really easy to get an accurate list of forums a user is allowed to actually read.
INDEMNITY
a legal exemption from liability for damages.
BLOG | DORMLIFE
baja170

Hourly or every 3 hour digests?

Post by baja170 »

Anybody have a hack for this EXCELLENT MOD to add every hour and every 3 hour options to the control panel? Once a day or once a week is not enough to please our users. Sorry to be a PITA.

We LOVE the digest feature, one of our most loved MODS!!!

Thank you in advance!!

William
www.HeliFreak.com
MarkDHamill

Re: Hourly or every 3 hour digests?

Post by MarkDHamill »

baja170 wrote: Anybody have a hack for this EXCELLENT MOD to add every hour and every 3 hour options to the control panel? Once a day or once a week is not enough to please our users. Sorry to be a PITA.

We LOVE the digest feature, one of our most loved MODS!!!

Thank you in advance!!

William
www.HeliFreak.com

Well, I'll take a bow for it ... but soon Indemnity_83 will no doubt wrap circles around my code. We need more push technology for phpBB. Thank you for the complement.
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

MarkDHamill wrote: I'm not sure about the footer issue. It sounds like maybe a type in mail_digests.tpl.

Further to this I decided to do some further tests. I went back to the original MOD and let the digest run last night. What I realised is that none of the links in the digest work at all, they just contain 'blank' as references. So obviously I've missed something somewhere, byt what?

Have gone through all the instructions again and can't see I've missed anything!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If you are getting a bad URL, the problem is usually in the $siteURL value in digest_constants.php. A number of users find they have to hardcode the value, making sure that it ends in a slash.
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

Cheers for that Mark, I hard coded:

Code: Select all

$siteURL = 'http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/'
But this gave an error when trying to include it:
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document. Error processing resource 'http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/forum....

<b>Parse error</b>: parse error in <b>/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/tekguru.co.uk/httpdocs/phpBB2/includes/d...

So again I must be missing something obvious?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Hmm, nothing in the digest software uses XML or XSL ... could this be a conflict with another mod?
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

No ideas at all, not as far as I am aware, it's got me stumped though! Nothing I am using uses XML at all - weird!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Does this happen with mail_digests.php or digests.php?

Is there a URL to examine?
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

The problem actually occured when trying to view:

http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/forum.php

I did not check the digest pages at all as I had 37 users online and wanted to get the main forum up and runing for them.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

forum.php looks like a clone and modification of index.php. forum.php is not part of the digest mod at all. I don't even see a link on it to subscribe to a digest.

It sounds like an integration problem. It looks like you are running phpBB inside of phpNuke or some similar portal. I have heard integration problems in it before ... perhaps some other members have a clue.

The digest mod is built to integrate well on top of a stable 2.0.7 or 2.0.8 release with no other mods. It usually works okay with other mods, but there are no guarantees.
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

I'm actually running Minerva, which is a heavily MODified phpBB2 installation (http://www.flexion.org), the only place I can think of that XML is being used is in the QBar MOD which does have a link through to the digests page (if a user is logged in).

I've asked for help from the Minerva developers to see if they can assist.
tekguru

Post by tekguru »

Found part of the problem. In QBar you have the ability to define a linked page as part of phpBB2 or a stand alone page. Which invokes all sorts of protection. I had this set as a part of phpBB with protection on, turning it off actually gives an error message that line 47 of digest_constants.php cant be parsed, the line in question is:

Code: Select all

$lang['digest_introduction'] = 'As you requested, here is the latest digest of messages posted on ' . $board_config['sitename'] . ' forums. Please come and join the discussion!';

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”