[beta] EasyMOD v0.4.0

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
safeTsurfa
I've Been Banned!

Post by safeTsurfa » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:22 am

We'll see what develops. I got a PM from wGEric today, he is going to raise this with the MOD Team, so hopefully we can get something sorted out. Meanwhile there is nothing to stop MOD authors voluntarily adopting that or another similar line, to help out the team. What is important, is that EMC is not part of the official standard (see MOD Template for what is part of the standards), so it has absolutely no place at the top of the file.

If you place it at the very top where the name, version and such goes, you are failing to meet template standards as you are adding something which is not approved for inclusion in that top section. Kind of like adding ## MSG: Hi Mum and expecting them to allow that too!

So people can argue all they like about this, the bottom line is... EMC and usability with EM are nothing at all to do with the official standards, so any reference to it belongs in the Author's Notes as additonal information as any reference in the topmost area is a breach of the MOD Template standards.

Therefore, the only issue up for discussion is, can we agree a standard declaration to go in those Notes, that all authors will use, so we retain the same consistency of meaning and intent without confusing the user or making false claims?

I think this is important, since it is misleading to say things like "EM compliant" when there are no benchmark tests to comply with, and no EM "standards" as it is not an official part of the phpBB standards. It is equally misleading - and improper - to use "EM compatible", what the hell is that supposed to mean anyway? Since when did anyone code for "compatibility" with an unofficial tool?

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't we meant to code for compliance and compatibility with phpBB and that is the only standard which matters? If anyone wants to code to something else other than official phpBB Standards, maybe they should relocate to phpbbhacks or some other site where standards are as loose and low as a hooker's briefs?

So for me, it is wrong to use the words "compatible" or "compliant" with reference to using EM to install a MOD, and it is improper because it means the author is setting up EM as some kind of "pseudo standard" they are working to, which is disrespectful to official phpBB standards.

So we get back to what I wrote, and why I am taking this one seriously... we need a suitable officially approved line which can be added to Author's Notes where appropriate, which says what it means - that the MOD installs correctly when EM is used... without setting up EM as part of the standards, or claiming any sort of compliance or compatibility when such claims are meaningless.
safeTsurfa
Need help? First READ THIS
Personal projects: My Mods

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:54 pm

safeTsurfa wrote: This is annoying me intenesely.
Well then you need to get over that. The thing is just out of alpha and there's a long way to go before I'm going to write up "official" standards. Everything is still subject to change. No one is getting the seal of approval "officially" so it is equal for everyone. In summary: there are bigger things to worry about.

-Nuttzy :cool:
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
No Support via PM please!

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:58 pm

safeTsurfa wrote: The annoyance is that since it does install my Mod, it would have been nice to see "EMC compliant"
No, no, no, no, no. This is not the point. EM will install ANY mod on a virigin board regardless of how unfriendly it is written to deal with other MODs. The point of EMC is that all MODs will place nicely with each other even if you have numerous MODs installed.

Now please, this is a marathon not a sprint so don't be bothering me with these petty things until I'm ready to deal with them. Thank you.

BatteriesIncluded

Post by BatteriesIncluded » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:59 am

I tried contacting you at area51 but it will not allow me to login even though I have registered and the email was sent to me.. so here goes.

I checked the FAQ and browsed the messages on area51 and there was no mention of this:

I need to use port 24 for FTP rather than the standard port 21 as this port is blocked for security reasons. How can I change the default port on the EasyMod install? Perhaps you can include a small dialog box to query the FTP port number from the user?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:44 pm

Sorry, you'll have to wait until you can log into area51. I'm not doing support on this topic or at phpbb.com so that I can keep everything together in one place. If you still can't login after another couple of days, send me a PM and I'll find a way to get your question posted.

I'm tied up with things now so will be a few days before I can do support over there anyway.

BatteriesIncluded

Post by BatteriesIncluded » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:25 am

I still am not able to login at area51 but it won't be necessary as I have found the answer to my question:
BatteriesIncluded wrote: I need to use port 24 for FTP rather than the standard port 21 as this port is blocked for security reasons. How can I change the default port on the EasyMod install? Perhaps you can include a small dialog box to query the FTP port number from the user?

Here it is:

Code: Select all

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

easymod/em_includes/em_ftp.php

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

$port = 21

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------
#

$port = 24

# 
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]-------------------------- 
# 
# EoM
Thanks anyway... and I DO hope I can login to area51 to contribute soon.

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:27 am

Good job! (We ALL like people that can answer their own problems! ;-))

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:30 am

I, however, am having no problems with logging in on area51. If you can't log in because the board says you don't exist, try re-registering.

As for why Nuttzy said "Support only given at area51" I don't know why. I thought this topic was here for in case area51 don't work, which it is liable to do (as, after all, it is testing software). Oh well. Tsk tsk tsk.

Qiotl

Post by Qiotl » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:46 pm

/forum/admin/mods/EasyMOD/
I coppied the mod in this folder.
Testing selected write method
Testing FTP access...
1) Logged in successfully

FTP ERROR: could not cd to q.funpic.de/forum
You successfully logged into the server, but could not change direcory (CD) to the easymod directory. The following is recommended:

1. Are you sure you entered the correct path? Below is a directory listing of the files in the FTP root directory. The FTP root directory is simply the starting point when you connect. The path to the phpBB2 installation should begin with one of the directory names listed below.
2. Directory names are case sensitive. Be sure the easymod directory is all lowercase.
3. In some *very rare* cases it's possible that you are not connecting to the proper FTP Server. Try specifying the hostname in the FTP Server field.
4. Some servers have issues with the passive mode that EasyMOD attempts to use by default. If you have the PHP FTP extension loaded, then enable that option in step 1.

FTP root directory:
/

Directory listing: your FTP Path should start with one of the directories listed below
forum

but this one keeps appearing...
What do i have to do?

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:51 pm

Fountain of Apples wrote: As for why Nuttzy said "Support only given at area51" I don't know why. I thought this topic was here for in case area51 don't work, which it is liable to do (as, after all, it is testing software).
Nope. The purpose of this topic is to let people know a new version is out and where they can find it.

Support will not be conducted on this thread. Trying to do support in the confines of one topic is a nightmare and leads to a zillion pages.

In a perfect world, sure this could be a place to ask questions if area51 was down. But as the above posts demonstrates, people will use this topic regardless of the availiblity of area51.

I should probably lock this topic, but in case something does occur and people can't login for extend periods they can at least tell me to reenable guest posting at area51 or something.

Support will never be rendered on this topic. I've been doing this a loooong time, so trust me that I know what is best here.

Qiotl

Post by Qiotl » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:14 am

but i can't find any area51...
sry for posting here...

Qiotl

BatteriesIncluded

Post by BatteriesIncluded » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:31 am

Fountain of Apples wrote: I, however, am having no problems with logging in on area51. If you can't log in because the board says you don't exist, try re-registering.

As for why Nuttzy said "Support only given at area51" I don't know why. I thought this topic was here for in case area51 don't work, which it is liable to do (as, after all, it is testing software). Oh well. Tsk tsk tsk.

I get this when I attempt a login:
You have specified an incorrect username or password. Please check them both and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact a board administrator.

And this when I attempt to register again:
The username you entered is already in use, please select an alternative.
EMAIL_TAKEN_EMAIL
The confirmation code you entered was incorrect

So perhaps the password is incorrect BUT I'm using the one that the board emailed to me... what now?

torewyn

Post by torewyn » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:40 am

nvm

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:36 pm

Qiotl wrote: but i can't find any area51...
sry for posting here...

Qiotl
Try reading the first post. Specifically look for the link that says Area51 ;)

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:37 pm

BatteriesIncluded wrote: So perhaps the password is incorrect BUT I'm using the one that the board emailed to me... what now?
I believe there is an "I forgot my password" function ;)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”