[2.0.17] Table BBCode

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
50%
Very Good
17%
Good
24%
Fair
4%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 46

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:39 pm

asinshesq wrote: Any thought to adding width in % so that you could specify in % terms how wide a column is relative to the normal phpbb post area?

Currently the width is not even set at all, it all depends on how much space the text that is inserted takes up, though in future versions I plan on making bbcode tags as functional as simple html code.

The main point of using a bbcode for making tables rather than enabling the html code is that with the html codes enabled, it makes it very easy to completely destroy the layout of the forum by mis-using the codes. The bbcode helps prevent this.

The bbcode also makes it much easier to create the tables and understand what each tag does.

Instead of having

Code: Select all

<tr>
make new rows, you use

[row]
, and instead of

<td>
for new columns, you use

[col]
, meaning that users understand what each tag does instead of guess what tr and td stand for.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:14 pm

I'm thinking about bringing back the requirement for [/col] and [/row] as well as requiring a [col] for the first column in future versions to better avoid confusion.

Currently, the bbcode tag to html conversion is as follows:

[table] = <table align="top" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" border="1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

[mrow] = <tr bgcolor="#FFFF00" align="center"><td>

[row] = </td></tr><tr><td>

[col] = </td><td>

[/table] = </td></tr></table>

As you can see, the mrow, row, and col tags automatically start the next line, and the [/table] tag closes whatever rows and columns are before it, therefore removing the need for a [col] tag for the first column of any row, and also removing the need for closing tags for mrow, row, and col.

This system was set up to lessen the amount of required tags to make a table, but obviously it can be quite confusing to a regular poster who doesnt know the actual html equivilants of each tag, and especially to those who have no clue how to make a regular table using the html codes.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do, please post them here.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

wheech

Size of Table Font

Post by wheech » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:43 pm

Is there any way to resize the font in the tables.
Current implementation is huge and makes any wide tables scroll completely off the page.

Does anybody know how to do this please!! :idea:

Rosha Cristi

Post by Rosha Cristi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:58 pm

SlapShot434 wrote:

I'm thinking about bringing back the requirement for [/col] and [/row] as well as requiring a [col] for the first column in future versions to better avoid confusion.

Please do implement the requirement for col for the first column. As it is right now, I can't see a way to make the first column a different color without putting in an empty first column.

Also, is there a way to make the background a different color or transparent?

I would also like to be able to change the font size of the text in the table. It currently ignores the size bbcode.

edwardsun

Post by edwardsun » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:20 pm

maybe it should be just [table] [tr] [td] and stuff like that

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:17 pm

Rosha Cristi wrote: Please do implement the requirement for col for the first column. As it is right now, I can't see a way to make the first column a different color without putting in an empty first column.

Also, is there a way to make the background a different color or transparent?

I would also like to be able to change the font size of the text in the table. It currently ignores the size bbcode.

Yes, use [row color=] and then [col color=] if you want both columns to be a different color.

I'm working on making the font stay small... ill get back to you

mattbugz

Post by mattbugz » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:31 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: I'm working on making the font stay small... ill get back to you

Can't wait!!
--
Regards,
Matt

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:01 pm

Alright guys, I'm now gonna start making the font size thing, and I think I'm gonna go ahead and make it require a [col] in the beginning.

I'm also thinking about making an error page if a person attempts to post a reply with just [table]blah[/table] and not bothering to follow the directions (i've had several people do this at the test area of my forum).
If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, please help.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:03 am

well i got [col fontsize=] to work, but for some odd reason, i cannot get [row fontsize=] to work. Ill continue trying. I will have to implement the requirement for [/col] and [/row] however

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:40 pm

ok, I'm not sure what is y'all's problem, but I CAN use the size bbcode to change the fnt size in my tables. As long as it is inside the [table] and [/table], it'll work perfectly.

mattbugz

Post by mattbugz » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:31 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: ok, I'm not sure what is y'all's problem, but I CAN use the size bbcode to change the fnt size in my tables. As long as it is inside the [table] and [/table], it'll work perfectly.

Strange...this doesn't work for me.
--
Regards,
Matt

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:41 pm

post the exact stuff you're trying to type (dont forget to disable bbcode)

mattbugz

Post by mattbugz » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:50 pm

[quote="SlapShot434"]post the exact stuff you're trying to type (dont forget to disable bbcode)[/quote]

Can't give you the exact info, but here is the format:

[table][size=6][mrow]First Name[col]Last Name[col]Location[col]Department[col]Cell Phone[col]Direct Dial[col]Extension
[row]xxx[col]xxx[col]xxx[col]xxx[col]xxx[col]xxx[col]xxx[/size][/table]
--
Regards,
Matt

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:17 pm

try putting the size tag INSIDE the mrow.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:20 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: try putting the size tag INSIDE the mrow.

this will work, but you will also have to repeat the size tag for every column.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”