[2.0.17] Table BBCode

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
50%
Very Good
17%
Good
24%
Fair
4%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 46

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:03 am

Nexile wrote: Personally, I think changing all the names just creates more confusion. After installing the mod and assuming it'd work, I wrote out a fairly large table with common table bbcode format (you know, [td], [/td], etc) and now I need to go and change everything ...

I believe that it would help "newbies" by introducing them to something most akin to real html format, so they don't have to learn two lines of curricula if they eventually want to learn html. If the abbreviations "td" and "tr" are really that confusing, you could explain them in the mod...a simple "td = table data" and "tr = table row" would suffice.

But that's just my two cents.

if I were to do that, how would my BBCode be ANY different than HTML besides the simple bracket instead of an arrow? The point is to make it simpler than html, not similer to html, see my point?

So while I do see your point and recognize it, I will continue to use row and col in order to maintain my goal.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:36 am

Ive updated the mod to be compatable with MBBC 1.4.0, just awaiting verification
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:05 pm

MOD Updated to version 1.2.4
See first post for Download Link

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:36 am

I just finished installing the table_bbcode_with_multi_bbcode_mod140 into my 2.0.10 board without any problems whatsoever. It was worth the wait for this MBBC 1.4 version. Thanks for the upgrade...

I also added two additional buttons to my BBCode panel, Row and Col. Is there a way to use the Table BBCode without them? If not, it might be worthwhile to include these additional buttons in this MOD as well...

Can you provide a list of the available attributes that can be used. I notice that Width doesn't work for the columns but Color does. What other attributes are available???

Here is what my BBCode panel looks like with the new additions...

:lol:

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:48 am

Definately a good idea to include row and col buttons, i will consider it

currently, color is the only attribute that works with it

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:26 am

Thanks for the quick reply SlapShot434... :lol:

What are the chances of adding other attributes to the table, row, and column tags? I think width and align would be nice additions. I like cellspacing and cellpadding too, but I doubt that few of my board members would use those attributes. If it isn't a huge deal for you to make the modifications, it would be nice to have as many of the attributes that the equivalent HTML tags provide. If it is a major ordeal, I will understand...

:?:

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:13 am

ah, this is why I have been so reluctant to add to many attributes. If i make everything editable, it completely destroys the point of having a bbcode. The entire point of the bbcode is to make it simpler, and I fear that adding too many attributes will comprimise this. I will consider adding more, but certainly not all attributes, and not very many. Please understand what I mean when I say the goal is to be simple, not advanced.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:23 am

You're probably right to maintain the KISS principle on this. I just received an IM message from one of my members that read like this:

Code: Select all

Not sure I'll ever use the tables.  Maybe if I have enough time to mess around with that and learn more I may actually enjoy them.  We will see .........
She probably won't ever use the code as won't 80% or more of the others. I also have the HTML code enabled, so those who know it can create fancier posts...

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:34 pm

thats very dangerous, the entire point of using the bbcode instead of the html is that members cannot destroy the layout of a forum with bbcode, but they can with the html, but it is your choice and your choice alone.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:39 pm

Generally I would agree with you SlapShot. But currently, we have a very select membership who we all trust without question. There is no one in our community at the present time who would intentionally cause any harm to it or anyone in it. So it is safe to take down the safeguards for now. I could easily make everyone a moderator and never have to worry...

If I had a larger membership who I didn't know well, I probably would clamp down more than I do. But as of now, we are a happy and respectful "family" and we plan to keep it that way. We probably won't ever grow too large, but in less than two months, we have 28 great members, all hand picked without advertising. It's sure a lot easier to manage a board when you know you can trust everyone...

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:48 pm

i know, i mean unintentionally. soooo many people do not understand who to use tables n html (you should see my demo board area of my forum for the table bbcode mod. It's rediculous, haha). If you would like I could probably work in a fewattributes for yhour board specifially, just tell me what attributes you would like and we'll talk about it

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:52 am

I really appreciate your offer, SlapShot. You don't have to go out of your way just for my board. But if you are in the mood and have the time and energy to do so, I wouldn't mind if the width, cellpadding, cellspacing, and align attributes were added to the BBCodes. Those who don't know how to use them will never use the attributes. But for those who like to be a bit fancier in their posts, those attributes would be a nice addition...

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:25 pm

This is a nice mod, but for boards with members who are mostly technophobes (like my board), I prefer going with an approach that is simpler. Instead of allowing tables, I allow users to post with a [pre] bbcode. That allows users who are so inclined to draft a post with columns in a text editor, copy and paste it into a post on my board, and surround it with '[pre]' and '[/pre]' tags and they are all set (columns and spaces get preserved, just like when you use html <pre> tags). Not nearly as pertty or powerful as the stuff you can do with this table mod, but a whole lot simpler..

If anyone is interesetd in trying that out, you can find the code here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=244791

Any feedback will be appreciated.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:50 pm

I do not see the point in your post. It has almost nothing to do with the point behind using this MOD.

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:14 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: I do not see the point in your post. It has almost nothing to do with the point behind using this MOD.

I'm guessing some people using this mod are using it so that they can draft posts with nice even columns in them. My point is that if you are only using this mod to allow your users to post with columns or spaces, using a [pre] bbcode is a whole lot simpler than setting up tables.

Obviously a lot of people using this mod want the greater power that this table mod gives them...thast's fine too.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”