Save posts as drafts

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
72%
Very Good
15%
Good
8%
Fair
2%
Poor
3%

Total votes: 65

Wo1f

Re: W01f: the answer, I think

Post by Wo1f » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:10 pm

asinshesq wrote:
Wo1f wrote:...I would ideally like to have drafts displayed in an individual table at the top of the page (as is with your mod) and posts as posts in an individual table below.[/list]
Can you take a look and help me find a solution to this one?[/list]

Thanks
Wolf

You already said you figured out how to change the egosearch so that it would display regular posts by post rather than topic. I haven't checked the code (and don't have time right now), but by I strongly suspect the reason you lose the drafts table when you change from display by topics to display by posts is that when you display by topics you use a different template than you use when you display by posts. So, if you want to try to do this yourself, check how the mod changes search_results_topics.tpl and then try to do the same for search_results_posts.tpl. Search_results_topics probably has one or more 'switches' that turns the draft table on and off and you would need to stick the same switch or switches in search_results.posts.tpl if you want to do egosearch by post and still retain the drafts.

Excellent suggestion, you sent me looking in the right place. It's all very very good now. Exactly the end result I wanted. As for a new topic saved as a draft not showing in the search result - for some reason, I can't duplicate that problem anymore and it's behaving the way it should. I have no other explanation for this one besides "a temporary moment of insanity" probably helped along by a stray bit or two. :wink:

Now, for another "new" scenario! Have you noticed that when a member creates a draft but has never posted before, the draft will NOT show up in the search result (by clicking on "Your posts and drafts")?

Mind you, this could turn out to be another one of those "temporary moments of insanity" or possibly one of my homemade hacks interferring in some way.

Thanks for your help, much obliged!
Wolf

AaronOwnsYou

Post by AaronOwnsYou » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:05 pm

Can this be added to the Super Quick Reply Modification?

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:33 am

Wo1f wrote: ...Now, for another "new" scenario! Have you noticed that when a member creates a draft but has never posted before, the draft will NOT show up in the search result (by clicking on "Your posts and drafts")?...

Never tested that, and it's a good question. It is possible that a person with absolutely no posts who saves a first post as a draft will not have any post show up when he clicks view your posts and drafts (since there are 0 regular results in the egosearch). If so, should be easy to fix (though I'm not sure how often it would be the case that a user with 0 posts would save a post as a draft so I'm, not sure how helpful it would be to fix this narrow problem).

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:35 am

AaronOwnsYou wrote: Can this be added to the Super Quick Reply Modification?

I don't use that mod and I have never looked at the code, but it shouldn't be too hard to make it do that (since I assume that mod uses the same basic posting.php code in submitting a post).

AaronOwnsYou

Post by AaronOwnsYou » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:59 am

asinshesq wrote:
AaronOwnsYou wrote:Can this be added to the Super Quick Reply Modification?

I don't use that mod and I have never looked at the code, but it shouldn't be too hard to make it do that (since I assume that mod uses the same basic posting.php code in submitting a post).
I know, but I am lazy.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:24 pm

asinshesq wrote:
Wo1f wrote:...Now, for another "new" scenario! Have you noticed that when a member creates a draft but has never posted before, the draft will NOT show up in the search result (by clicking on "Your posts and drafts")?...

Never tested that, and it's a good question. It is possible that a person with absolutely no posts who saves a first post as a draft will not have any post show up when he clicks view your posts and drafts (since there are 0 regular results in the egosearch). If so, should be easy to fix (though I'm not sure how often it would be the case that a user with 0 posts would save a post as a draft so I'm, not sure how helpful it would be to fix this narrow problem).

Hehehe... chances are very slim and "next to none" indeed. And submitting a first post would display the invisible draft(s) normally. On the other hand, I do believe in Murphy's conniving abilities to uncover low probability scenarios. I can imagine this happening in cases where the board member turnaround is very high or a newly installed board (where trying out the new features becomes a game). I have the time to look into it, and I'll be back with the results, if I manage it.

I would also like to post some screenies of the end result for the eogsearch (including drafts) as I'm very pleased with it. I do believe this is allowed on these boards (some size limitations apply), but I'm not sure. Can someone confirm??

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:54 pm

Wo1f wrote: ...I would also like to post some screenies of the end result for the eogsearch (including drafts) as I'm very pleased with it. I do believe this is allowed on these boards (some size limitations apply), but I'm not sure. Can someone confirm??

Yup, you're allowed to post screen shots. But you don't do it here by uploading a pic...instead you use the img tag (see the img bbcode button at the top of the form while you are posting) and you give it a url where the pic can be found. I don't think there are any special rules, but it probably makes sense to keep them to no more than 800 pixels accross so that they fit in pretty much any screen except for an ancient 640x480.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:46 pm

Thanks for the info asinshesq! I've posted one already (in another thread) and I haven't been "flagged" by the mods, so it's all good. Here's the end result I've been mentionning:

The "Edit Draft" button is not an image, but rather HTML, W3C style. As are the other similar ones. Very efficient.

I'll be looking into the last "scenario" problem I mentionned sometime this week-end. I suspect it's a simple "elseif" statement in search.php, which would allow for drafts to be displayed even though posts=0. Easy as pie!
Last edited by Wo1f on Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Nice screen shot. I can see why you like having the list in post rather than topic view. By the way, if you want teh screen shot to show up in the post (rather than simply including a link), you can use [img] rather than [url] tags.

forluvish

Post by forluvish » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:54 pm

I need your help

I tried to install this mod, but the moding command is too complicate to follow. Is there anyone whoc can provide a premoded 2.14 based "save as draft" with "attachment mod" only ? I really want to use this mod, but my klimited intellectual ability..........T.T

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Sun May 01, 2005 2:18 am

forluvish wrote: I need your help

I tried to install this mod, but the moding command is too complicate to follow. Is there anyone whoc can provide a premoded 2.14 based "save as draft" with "attachment mod" only ? I really want to use this mod, but my klimited intellectual ability..........T.T

Use easymod. Or, if you want to do it by hand, go ahead...it's totally self explanatory and does not require any special knowledge. (But I would recommend using easymod since it is long and you are likely to make a mistake if you do it by hand).

nopeekiepeekie

Post by nopeekiepeekie » Tue May 03, 2005 6:09 pm

i'm trying to figure out what part of the code i edited wrong to make my dates show up as "31 Dec 1969 07:00 pm" on the viewforum page, with no poster name when you post your draft. does anyone have any idea?

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Tue May 03, 2005 6:31 pm

nopeekiepeekie wrote: i'm trying to figure out what part of the code i edited wrong to make my dates show up as "31 Dec 1969 07:00 pm" on the viewforum page, with no poster name when you post your draft. does anyone have any idea?

Are you saying that in viewforum everything looks normal except that if a draft of a topic exists in that forum you can see the name of the draft topic (with messed up time and author)? Or maybe you are saying that when you have a draft of a post in an already existing topic then viewforum tries to show you that latest post (the draft) and messes up the info? Is viewforum otherwise normal?

A draft topic should not show up at all in viewform (and a draft post that is the most recent post should not be referred to as the last post in an existubg topic until it is submitted as a real post). If you give me more info maybe I can give you a clue about where to look for your mistake (though alternatively maybe you are better off going back to your files pre installing the mod and then instal the mod with easymod so that there is no chance of making a mistake).

nopeekiepeekie

Post by nopeekiepeekie » Wed May 04, 2005 5:20 pm

i guess i didn't explain myself correctly. i have a habit of doing that :oops:

anyhow, you can't see the draft, it's after you save the draft and then go to post it where i have the errors.

when you look in the thread after posting the draft you want to post it looks right

but when you look in the viewforum it looks like this:

where it says last post it's giving me December 1969 and no poster name.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Wed May 04, 2005 6:24 pm

nopeekiepeekie wrote: i guess i didn't explain myself correctly. i have a habit of doing that :oops: ...

You weren't incorrect, I just didn't understand what you were saying. And I still don't (sorry). Let me try to spell this out and see if I've got this right:

1. When someone saves a post as a draft, the draft gets saved fine.

2. If a post is saved as a draft and you then open up viewtopic, that draft correctly does NOT show up.

3. If you click the link to show your drafts, it correctly shows your draft.

4. If you finally submit the draft as a real post, it shows up perfectly everywhere exactly as it should.

5. And the only problem is that if you save a post as a draft and then go to viewforum and that draft happens to be the most recent post in a forum, it shows that the latest post has a 1969 date with no author.

Have I got each one of those points correct?

If so, sounds like you problem is in viewforum and that there is a sql defnition where you forgot to put in this line:

Code: Select all

AND p.post_draft = 0
So, maybe your forgot one of those inserts listed in my mod. Or, if you have modded viewforum to reflect other mods, maybe one of those other mods added its own sql and you need to modify that sql definition to reflect this mod.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”