[2.0.21] prevent reply notifications to unauthorized users

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
93%
Very Good
No votes
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
7%

Total votes: 14

GurlzLubme

Post by GurlzLubme »

is this entirely different from 1.0.2? installing this won't interfere with "prevent reply notifications to unauthorized users v 102" right?
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

No, it does NOT work to install one mod version on top of the other. You need to uninstall one if you want to install the other. But my October 30th post says exactly what changed between the two versions...why not just do that change instead and you'll be all set.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

[Edit: deleted double post]
burnthome

Post by burnthome »

hi asinshesq,

As i notice that there are two different of the files inside the download files,(alternative version prevent reply notifications to unauthorized users-version 1.0.3) and (prevent reply notifications to unauthorized users- version 1.0.2) ...
and can i know what have change so far of this mod?? :lol:

thanks,
burnthome
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

burnthome wrote: hi asinshesq,

As i notice that there are two different of the files inside the download files,(alternative version prevent reply notifications to unauthorized users-version 1.0.3) and (prevent reply notifications to unauthorized users- version 1.0.2) ...
and can i know what have change so far of this mod?? :lol:

thanks,
burnthome

They are both version 1.0.3 (one of them is marked incorrectly as 1.0.2). As the author notes in the mod says, the alternative version is for people who are running David Hermann's forum notification mod on their boards. If you don't run that mod, just use the regular version.

As for teh difference between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3, see my post from October 30 above...that's the only change.
GurlzLubme

Post by GurlzLubme »

asinshesq wrote: But my October 30th post says exactly what changed between the two versions...why not just do that change instead and you'll be all set.

which oct 30th post?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

The only October 30 post in this thread.
GurlzLubme

Post by GurlzLubme »

done, and thank you! =)
petes

Email notifications not sent when they should be.

Post by petes »

I have this mod (not alt version) installed on 3 boards. All boards have the same mods on them. In one board users are not getting post notifications. Also, I don't get notifications to Admin either. Other email functions (PM, group add, etc.) all work.

I have double checked the mod install, even copied functions_post.php from another working board... no good. Removing the mod fixes the problem.

The difference seems to be the groups/memebership. On the working boards there are several groups set up, and the users are members.

The non-working board has no groups. But if I create a group, make the user the group mod, or a member, and give the group access rights (to a private forum), or mod rights (to a registered forum), something that ties the group a forum-any forum, then the user gets notified from all forum topics that are watched.

I have to add the Admin to the group to get notified, which I thought wasn't the case in 1.0.3, so this effect all users regardless of rights.

I hope this is clear and points you inthe right direction.

Thanks, Pete
petes

Post by petes »

Duplicate post...
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Thanks foir your feedback, Pete. I won't be at home for another week so I can't really troubleshoot till then. But I do want to make sure I understand what you are seeing.

1. You are talking about open forums that should be readible by everyone (i.e. open to 'all' or 'reg' rather than just 'private', 'mod' or 'admin'), correct?

2. You say that creating a group and giving it a member fixes things. Does each user who is supposed to be notified get notified even if you haven't made that particular user a member of a group? In other words, does creating a single group and making a single user a member of the group fix things for all users throughout the forum?

3. When you say the admin doesn't get notified, do you just mean on the board where you have no groups, or do you mean in your other boards too?

4. Are there any errors in your php error log that might be associated with this issue?

5. Final question: I wrote this mod with groups in mind because I envisioned that you would have no need to screen who is authorized to receive notifications if you don't use groups -- if you don't use groups I would have imagined that everyone is entitled to see everything on the board so why would you want this mod)? Am I missing something?
petes

Post by petes »

1. yes, the forums are readable by all, though some are private for posting, but not replying, so that only mods/admins can start toics in certain forums. I tested in both type of forums and got the same results, even in one the were full registered, nothing private, mod or admin.

2. no, you have to add eanh user as best I can tell. But only one group is necessary, and the group must be tied to some forum in some way. Then notifiers work for all groups. This is the best I can determine-there are a lot of variables to deal with, but I think I have it nailed down.

3. yes, Admins seem to be treated the same as other users with regard to this issue... even though I'm using 1.0.3. (Didn't test for other 1.0.3 Admin funstionality.)

4. none that I know of. I saw none in the pages served, but don't have access to the server logs.

5. good point. I was just setting up the third board and didn't need groups (yet). I simply installed the same mods for all boards. Most often I would see a board having a combination of forums that do and do not require group membership-so in that sense you wouldn't see this problem. It looks like the mod was written from tha standpoint-not checking if a forum was private to readers before continuing to validate for user notifies.

Another thing I didn't test was the effect on a user of giving them person (rather than group) access to a forum-but I expect that woudl have the same effect.

Enjoy your time off.

Pete
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Not surprising, given how I wrote the code (the paradigm I had in mind was users in various groups, and I had the mod check for which groups the user was in and checked for those groups to see if they had access or if the forum was open. Should be easy to fix, though, so people who have some suers that are not in any groups will not be blocked from notification for open forums. And, as long as I am at it, I guess I should do a separate check for users that are not in groups that have access but have been granted user level access.

Again, thanks for pointing this out. It's very easy to have tunnel vision when you are writing mods and think only about how your own board is set up (all of my users are in groups and no one has any user special permissions).
petes

Post by petes »

Yeah, I know what you mean about tunnel vision. I can just disable it on that board for now, or make a bogus, do nothing, group and add all to it.

Hey, related to watched topic notification... what do you think of this? http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=250284

Thanks for your good work!
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Pete,

I spent a fair bit of time staring at the code and didn't see anything wrong with it, so then I actually tried it and find that I cannot reproduce your error at all. If I create a user and don't put him in any group, he still receives notifications for any forum that is open to all registered users or all users (just the way the mod is supposed to work). Moreover, he still receives notifications in any forum in wihch he has been granted special user level permission (since user level permissions are in the same table as group level permissions -- they both are in the auth_access table).

Since I can't reproduce the error, I don't know what to suggest for your board. Any ideas?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”