[2.0.18] Auto Cookies

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
73%
Very Good
8%
Good
6%
Fair
2%
Poor
13%

Total votes: 390

Nitroid

Post by Nitroid » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:50 pm

I recently moved my forum to a new server, disabling it (for backup purposes) in "General Admin / Configuration" beforehand. Upon trying to access install/cookie.php, I'm shown the forum with the message: "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later.". If I try to log in to the new forum to reactivate it, I'm redirected instead to the old site.

So yeah, I'm kind of in a Catch 22 situation. Any suggestions?

Colliope

Post by Colliope » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:30 am

:D

Thanks, this worked beautifully for me - solved the problems I was having and I am once again able to log-in to my Admin Panel.

Only thing is, I did not see there were 27 pages to this thread so I stopped reading after the last post on page one, and that post has incorrect step-by-step directions in it.

I figured it out after doing it wrong the first time, but perhaps there's a way you can insert the proper step-by-steps for this onto Page One of this thread so others like me who may not notice there are 27 more pages (or maybe don't want to wade thru them all) do it right the first time?

1) download and unzip the mod file onto your harddrive.
There are only two files in it you need:
"cookies.php" and "auto_cookies.mod".
2) on your server, create a new directory inside your phpBB2 directory called "install".
3) upload "cookies.php" and "auto_cookies.mod" to that "install" directory.
4) point your browser to "yourdomain/yourphpBB2/install/cookies.php"
5) review the page and if happy with the automatic-corrections it has made, click the button at the bottom of the page to automatically make the changes to your board.
6) delete the "install" directory from your server.
7) clear your browsers cache; cookies, and history files.
8 ) restart your computer

Col

Govnor

Post by Govnor » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:24 pm

I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing with this mod.
I ftp'd the files to my server & went to the cookie.php page & clicked 'write these settings to database' button, but i get a 404 error.

When I do figure out this 404 error, do I just accept the settings that this page creates & thats it? or do I need to edit them in any way?

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:38 pm

Govnor wrote: I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing with this mod.
I ftp'd the files to my server & went to the cookie.php page & clicked 'write these settings to database' button, but i get a 404 error.

When I do figure out this 404 error, do I just accept the settings that this page creates & thats it? or do I need to edit them in any way?

Did you have the cookies.php inside a folder called "install"?

Govnor

Post by Govnor » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:44 pm

eviL<3 wrote: Did you have the cookies.php inside a folder called "install"?

Yes, and I FTP'd it to my server and my browser found the page, when I clicked 'write these settings to database. it went to a page called /install/cookie. -no file extention & gave a 404 :?

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:28 pm

/install/cookie.php

Govnor

Post by Govnor » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:35 pm

I am an IDIOT this evening, I put the install directory in the site root folder doh!
Works a charm now THANKS FOR THIS MOD!!! :D :D

NIORA

Post by NIORA » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:40 am

Nitroid wrote: I recently moved my forum to a new server, disabling it (for backup purposes) in "General Admin / Configuration" beforehand. Upon trying to access install/cookie.php, I'm shown the forum with the message: "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later.". If I try to log in to the new forum to reactivate it, I'm redirected instead to the old site.

So yeah, I'm kind of in a Catch 22 situation. Any suggestions?

I'm in EXACTLY the same problem....how do I fix it now?

Nevermind. I was finally able to get logged in and access the Admin panel to reenable the forums to run the script.

niksa

Post by niksa » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:49 am

This MOD is brilliant. I can't recommend it to my phpbb admin friends enough. As far as utility goes, it's elegant, simple and definitely useful. Thanks for releasing it. 8)

Bluesugar

Post by Bluesugar » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:39 am

thank you for this mod! :wink:
Annie are you ok? Annie are you ok? Are you ok Annie?

paul_at_cichlidforum

Post by paul_at_cichlidforum » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:26 am

I am having some problems with users not staying logged in and am considering updating my settings with this mod. Are all the users going to need to reset cookies, or is it just something I can tell users that have problems logging in? I realize that everyone who was previously set to automatically "remember me" will need to log-in again. We have thousands of people visiting, and I really don't want to create a bigger problem. Also, I noticed some strange recommended settings. The data is below. The site is www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/

My Current Cookie Settings:
  • Domain Name: www.cichlid-forum.com
  • Server Port: 80
  • Script path: /phpBB/
  • Cookie secure: Disabled
  • Cookie domain: cichlid-forum.com
  • Cookie path: /
  • Cookie name: phpbb2mysql
  • Session length [ seconds ]: 7200
  • Allow automatic logins: Yes
  • Automatic login key expiry: 0
My Suggested Cookie Settings:
  • Domain Name: www.cichlid-forum.com
  • Server Port: 80
  • Script path: /phpBB/i - why the trailing 'i'?! not supposed to be there, IMO
  • Cookie secure: Disabled
  • Cookie domain: .cichlid-forum.com
  • Cookie path: /phpBB/
  • Cookie name: cichlid-fo_forum - looks like it messed this up too. i'd guess it should be cichlid-forum
  • Session length [ seconds ]: 3600
  • Allow automatic logins: Yes
  • Automatic login key expiry: 0
Thanks

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:22 am

Not sure why it recommends the dot before the domain. that made problems worse for my board. I was told that the dot before the domian was more for http://forum.site.com kind of deal. and also if /phpbb/ doesn't work, try just the forward slash and nothing after /

Your cookie name has to be creative. that's why it is suggesting it like that.

paul_at_cichlidforum

Post by paul_at_cichlidforum » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:34 am

Thanks, I'll make it creative then ;)

cdamianou

Post by cdamianou » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:27 am

Can someone help me as this mod has caused a problem.

I followed the instructions, creating an install folder in the forum etc, running ht script and saving, then deleting the folder.

But now my redirection when clicking Log In doesn’t work. This is really frustrating. Yu can have a look at what it does www.magicchat.co.uk

Your help is much appreciated. Everything worked before attempting the install of this contribution.

MattKitchen

Post by MattKitchen » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:56 pm

Thanks Geocator,

Fix appears to have worked. I did need to ignore the suggested cookie security enabled & change it to disabled though.

Otherwise very easy & straightforward.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”