[2.0.21] email posts or messages to combinations of groups

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
70%
Very Good
23%
Good
3%
Fair
5%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 40

jbarrouk

Re: [2.0.21] email posts or messages to combinations of groups

Post by jbarrouk »

I see. That makes sense.

I just found out that my host limits bcc to 25 recipients. I am trying to convince them to increase that. Just in case they do not allow it, Could you tell me which file to adjust and how to change my parameters for chunking?

thanks,
Joe
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

jbarrouk wrote:I just found out that my host limits bcc to 25 recipients...
Are you sure the first 25 are clean and it's only the 26th that starts to get time penalized (as opposed to a lower number being where you start to be time penalized and 25 being the absolute cap)?
Could you tell me which file to adjust and how to change my parameters for chunking?
Assumning the first 25 bccsare really free (no time delay), do this:

Code: Select all

OPEN
includes/functions_post.php

FIND
$max_per_batch = 100;

REPLACE WITH
$max_per_batch = 25;

OPEN
admin/admin_mass_email.php

FIND
$max_per_batch = 100;

REPLACE WITH
$max_per_batch = 25;
With that setting, if your target group really is 2500 users the code will loop and execute send() 100 times. Please let me know how quickly that executes or wheter that times out too (I am quite curious).
jbarrouk

Post by jbarrouk »

Thanks Alan,
I will let you know when I do this. I just received an email from my hosting support this is what they said:

Code: Select all

We have next email limitations on mailserver to disallow outgoing UCE and unapproved huge distribution lists to be passed through through IX Webhosting mailservers:
1. Message will not be accepted by mailserver if total number of recipients, listed in To, Carbon Copy and Blind Carbon Copy fields exceeds 25 (It will be rejected as “452 4.5.3 Too many recipients”)
2. By default, it is allowed to send up to 300 messages of the same content per day. Further messages will be dropped without any notification (mailserver will issue afformative reply, but message will be dropped)
3. By default, it is allowed to send up to 5000 messages of the same content per month. Further messages will be dropped without any notification (mailserver will issue afformative reply, but message will be dropped)
4. By default, it is allowed to send up to 200 total messages per hour per domain. Further messages will be queued to be sent out in subsequent hours.
5. All above will not be applied on EZMLM-managed lists, as they have automated bounce handling.

We've whitelisted your phpbb on our mailserver with requested quantity of mails sent per month using this forum. Thank you for choosing our services and for further cooperation.
Is anything he said going to conflict with the mod or should it work ok?

all the best,
Joe
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

jbarrouk wrote:Is anything he said going to conflict with the mod or should it work ok?
I don't really understand what tehy are saying. Are they saying that even though the normal limits are what they say earlier, you can send emails with no limits so long as you stay within what you told them? If so, does that mean you no longer need to chunk at all because they would allow you to send out a single email with 2500 bccs?

Maybe it makes sense for you to ask them: if I send out a forum email that has 2500 bccs, should I send a single email with all the bccs or should I instead chunk the email into smaller numbers of bccs and send out, for example, 25 emails that each have 100 bccs?

Then you can see what they say.
writer2

Post by writer2 »

Hello,

Some time ago Alan helped me to do a modification on this excellent mod. The mod-to-the-mod allows the emails to be sent directly to members of a designated group when the person making the post hits "submit" (so that they don't have to select the group first).

This worked very well up to a week or so ago. Then we started getting error messages saying that the smtp server wasn't responding, so I wrote to our ISP provider about that. He seems to have sorted that problem out for us.

Since then however, we have a new, weird problem. This only happens on one forum. Somebody made a post to it last week, and ever since then, every day (except Sunday for some reason!), those of us who are in its email group have been receiving a copy of the post. So now I have five or six copies of it. The first time round it was a normal post, listed as being from the person who sent it, but all the subsequent copies are listed as being from "Anonymous".

Any idea what could be causing this? As I said, it's only happening on this one forum, although there have also been posts made to other forums which have email groups since then.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

writer2 wrote:Then we started getting error messages saying that the smtp server wasn't responding, so I wrote to our ISP provider about that. He seems to have sorted that problem out for us.
Sounds like the problem was on the isp side and had nothing to do with this mod, so you were right to get your isp provider to help.
writer2 wrote:Since then however, we have a new, weird problem. This only happens on one forum. Somebody made a post to it last week, and ever since then, every day (except Sunday for some reason!), those of us who are in its email group have been receiving a copy of the post. So now I have five or six copies of it. The first time round it was a normal post, listed as being from the person who sent it, but all the subsequent copies are listed as being from "Anonymous".

Any idea what could be causing this? As I said, it's only happening on this one forum, although there have also been posts made to other forums which have email groups since then.
Again, it sounds like this has nothing to do with this mod (or the mod to the mod that automatically sends out emails for each post). I don't believe the extra emails are coming from your board...I think they are coming from outside (the email is 'rattling around' somewhere out there). For example, I'm guessing that if you post to the forum you mentioned, you would not see that behavior for the new post, but please give that a try to confirm.

Is it possible that the email came from the isp's efforts to fix things (maybe one part of the smtp server was trying to send, got errors and tried to resend a few times??). Is the problem continuing or was it just an initial flurry for the first day or so after the isp fixed things?
writer2

Post by writer2 »

Thanks for the quick reply! I did post something else to the forum and that only got sent out once. Meanwhile though I got another copy of the first post today! I checked with my ISP about the smtp server, as you suggested, and they said they can't see any problem with it. They think the problem is within the forum. They suggested I try deleting the post and re-posting it, so I've done that. We'll see if it does the trick.

I'm quite intrigued by this problem - it would be nice to figure out what's causing it. One thing we spotted is that the multiple posts only ever get sent out when one particular person is online and looking at the forum (not the same person as made the original post). This person isn't an administrator or moderator and so would have no way to edit or re-post the message. I've written to him to ask if he's run into any problems with the forum. All very mysterious.
pclive72

Post by pclive72 »

Are there any screenshots of what and where this option/feature is displayed? I tried installing the mod, but was unable to see where the feature is.

Also, do you know if there are any conflicts between this mod and the Topic Reply in email mod?

Thanks,
Paul
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

pclive72 wrote:Are there any screenshots of what and where this option/feature is displayed? I tried installing the mod, but was unable to see where the feature is.
When a user who is authorized to email posts begins a post, there is a checkbox titled "Mail post to designated groups" right under the post window. But that will only appear for a user who is authorized to email posts. Did you grant yourself permission to "Email posts" via the ACP?
pclive72

Post by pclive72 »

I thought I had this mod installed before. But I had to undo the operation due to some other issues that I had. Now here's where I am. I try to install the mod and I get an error in the posting.php

Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [posting.php] could not find:

if ($error_msg == '' && $mode != 'poll_delete')
{
user_notification($mode, $post_data, $post_info['topic_title'], $forum_id, $topic_id, $post_id, $notify_user);
}

MOD script line #407 :: FAQ :: Report

One thing I noticed about the second line is that it has: "$message" at the end of the line that is in MY posting.php file. That comes from the Topic Reply in Email Mod. Can I modify this so that is maintained, or will this mod not work with the Topic Reply mod?

Thanks.
Paul
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

pclive72 wrote:I thought I had this mod installed before. But I had to undo the operation due to some other issues that I had. Now here's where I am. I try to install the mod and I get an error in the posting.php

Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [posting.php] could not find:

if ($error_msg == '' && $mode != 'poll_delete')
{
user_notification($mode, $post_data, $post_info['topic_title'], $forum_id, $topic_id, $post_id, $notify_user);
}

MOD script line #407 :: FAQ :: Report

One thing I noticed about the second line is that it has: "$message" at the end of the line that is in MY posting.php file. That comes from the Topic Reply in Email Mod. Can I modify this so that is maintained, or will this mod not work with the Topic Reply mod?

Thanks.
Paul
Sure, you just need to adapt the mod to what is actually on your board. You would comment out that line as the mod says but make sure that later on when the mod adds two lines that each begin with user_notification(... you conform those lines by adding a reference to whatever the topic rely mod added there. And make absolutely sure that the order of the parameters you add there is exactly the same order as the order of the parameters in the line you will be modding in functions_post.php.

I have a feeling that I actually posted the exact changes needed for topic reply somewhere earlier in this thread, but I don't think it's much more complicated than what I say in this post.
pclive72

Post by pclive72 »

Ok,

I feel like I've got it installed now. I've re-adapted the $message code for the Topic Reply in Email. But I still don't know how the email thing works. I'm not sure how or where to give permission to use this feature. I've looked in the ACP (assuming that is Admin Control Panel) but I don't see anything there that references this email to groups option. Where would I see this?

Thanks for your help.
Paul
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

pclive72 wrote:Ok,

I feel like I've got it installed now. I've re-adapted the $message code for the Topic Reply in Email. But I still don't know how the email thing works. I'm not sure how or where to give permission to use this feature. I've looked in the ACP (assuming that is Admin Control Panel) but I don't see anything there that references this email to groups option. Where would I see this?

Thanks for your help.
Paul
In the permissions. Go to the permissions for whatever group or user you want to authorize and grant permissions to email posts.
pclive72

Post by pclive72 »

I'm sorry to have to keep bother you with this.

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. But I don't see any options to grant this permission. Here are the things I see for various ACP Options.

Group Administration
Group name:
Group description: This group grants access to the members only section of the forum.
Group moderator:
Group status: Open group Closed group Hidden group
Delete the old group moderator?
If you're changing the group moderator, check this box to remove the old moderator from the group. Otherwise, do not check it, and the user will become a regular member of the group. Yes
Delete group:

Group Permissions Control
I select a group...
I get a list of forum categories, Simple permissions (Allow Access or Disallow Access), and Moderator status.

Under User Admin
User Administration
This appears to be the registration user settings that the user can set.

User Permissions Control
This seems to be the same thing as the Group Permissions Control, only it's for individual users as opposed to groups.

The only place that I see anything to do with emailing, it in the Configuration where it has,

User email via board
Users send email to each other via this board

However, this was there before. In any case, I did try enabling this.

I feel like I'm missing something.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
pclive72

Post by pclive72 »

I'm beginning to think that, though EasyMod indicated that it was installed successfully, the mod wasn't actually installed. It's not showing in the Mod History list. I may have to go through this manually.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”