[2.0.21] email posts or messages to combinations of groups

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
70%
Very Good
23%
Good
3%
Fair
5%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 40

Carpe_Diemond

Re: A Clarification on the Mass Mail MOD

Post by Carpe_Diemond »

asinshesq wrote:
Carpe_Diemond wrote:Hi asinshesq,

Thank you very much for developing such a useful MOD.

I understand that this MOD splits the users into "chunks" and sends e-mail according to the number in each chunk. But what happens if I want to send an e-mail to 1000 registered users and the SMTP provider has a limit, say 250, SMTP relays per day? Can your MOD manage to "queue" the e-mails so that it can send 250 e-mails per day?

Regards,

Time to get a new ISP ;)

No, this mod mostly relies onh the normal phpbb email function plus simple email chunking. IF your ISP is as unfriendly as you describe, you should do a search for another mod called mega mail. Another user apparantly has adapted that mod for use with this one, so you could use the two together.

Thanks Alan. What a fast response!

I can't promise to change my ISP for the time being but I will take a look at the Megamail MOD you mentioned. :)

Keep up the good work!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Re: A Clarification on the Mass Mail MOD

Post by asinshesq »

Carpe_Diemond wrote: ...I can't promise to change my ISP for the time being but I will take a look at the Megamail MOD you mentioned. :)

Keep up the good work!

Here is a link to megamail: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=92275

You will see that the author began with a very simple chunking approach like I use for my mod. Then he decided that for really large boards (and uncooperative ISPs ;) ) that approach was not good enough. So he abandoned that approach and changed things so that the email would go out in entirely separate batches that could be stopped and then started later.

You will also see from a March 10, 2005 in that thread that vrflyer seems to have done some work adapting that mod to use with this one. Probably not too tough, but I've never been motivated to do that because my ISP is kinder than yours and so my chunking approach works ok on my board.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Updated to version 1.1.10
See first post for Download Link
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Thanks for the validation, Mac. That was quick.

Here's the change log entry for version 1.1.10:

Code: Select all

##   2005-03-19 - Version 1.1.10
##		  added processing to bbcode so that when you include the text of a post you are emailing it does not include ugly bbcode;
##		  fixed minor typo in designated_groups_cp_body.tpl (applies only if you use mod to the mod allowing posters to sign);
The readme file has upgrade instructions for each version from 1.1.7 through 1.1.9.

I just realized that I wasn't very clear in that readme file. If you are running 1.1.7 and you want to upgrade to 1.1.10 you need to apply the changes I list for 1.1.7 plus the changes I list for 1.1.8 plus the changes I list for 1.1.8a plus the changes I list for 1.1.9. Same goes for 1.1.8, etc. In each case, you need to apply the changes specified for your current version plus the more recent versions. Hope this doesn't create too much confusion.
KeraLensMod

Only one Mail

Post by KeraLensMod »

Hello,

after installing the mod everything works normal.... - but: by using the mass-mail funktion from ACP there are only one mesasge sent with no recipient (there are 4 members in my hidden test group).

Here you find the modified files:

admin_mass_email.php
bbcode.php
functions_post.php
lang_main.php
posting.php
posting_body.tpl

Can anyone help?

Regards, Andreas

Re: Only one Mail

Post by asinshesq »

KeraLensMod wrote: Hello,

after installing the mod everything works normal.... - but: by using the mass-mail funktion from ACP there are only one mesasge sent with no recipient (there are 4 members in my hidden test group)...

I don't know what you are talking about. Are you saying that emailing posts works perfectly but doing a mass email from the acp does not?

And there should only be one email sent (the members in the hidden test group should be bccs in a single email). More detail on exactly what is going on, please.
KeraLensMod

only one Mail

Post by KeraLensMod »

Hello,

yes I try to describe it better:

After installing the mod all "normal" mail funktions of the board are working korrect:

- mail from memberlist to single member = OK
- mail from profile or post to single member = OK
- mail from ACP (full user list) = OK
- mod "Post Notification" (mail Moderator every new post) = OK
- mod "Watched Topics List" = OK

And now there are two problems:

To test the mod I create a hidden goup with 4 members. When I send an email to this group from the ACP (no error message) I only receive one message to my inbox.

After creating a reply to a given post -> the hidden goup is not available in the selective list.
2a.
... after unhide the group the test_group is shown but after pushing the "submit-button" I only receive one message to my inbox....

Here you find the modified files:

admin_mass_email.php
bbcode.php
functions_post.php
lang_main.php
posting.php
posting_body.tpl

Regards, Andreas

Re: only one Mail

Post by asinshesq »

KeraLensMod wrote: Hello,

After installing the mod all "normal" mail funktions of the board are working korrect:

To test the mod I create a hidden goup with 4 members. When I send an email to this group from the ACP (no error message) I only receive one message to my inbox.

After creating a reply to a given post -> the hidden goup is not available in the selective list.
2a.
... after unhide the group the test_group is shown but after pushing the "submit-button" I only receive one message to my inbox....

Sorry, I still don't know what you are saying. AThe mod is really 2 separate mods and I want to hear exactly what is happening to each part :

A. When the admin is posting a new post, he is allowed to email that post to any combination of groups. This has nothining to do with the ACP. Can the admin select the option to mail a new post to combinations of groups? Does that work fine?

B. The mass email function to from the ACP is totally separate. Are you saying that that is the only thing that isn't working right on your board?

And what do you mean when you say the hidden group is not available in the selective list after you reply to a post?? Are you using any of the mods to the mod (like the one that allows other users to email posts) or are you just using the basic mod that allows the admin to email posts?

Also, what about the other files the mod adds or changes? lang_admin.php and the three new tpl files?
KeraLensMod

Post by KeraLensMod »

Thank you for your patience - hope we can find the problem....
asinshesq wrote:
KeraLensMod wrote:Hello,

2a.

asinshesq wrote: Sorry, I still don't know what you are saying. AThe mod is really 2 separate mods and I want to hear exactly what is happening to each part :

A. When the admin is posting a new post, he is allowed to email that post to any combination of groups. This has nothining to do with the ACP. Can the admin select the option to mail a new post to combinations of groups? Does that work fine?

Yes, the admin can select the option to mail new post to combination of (non hidden) groups. I try it with my test_group (4 members) but I only receive one message back to my inbox (no error messages).
asinshesq wrote: B. The mass email function to from the ACP is totally separate. Are you saying that that is the only thing that isn't working right on your board?

... and the same result occur if I try to send an mass-email from ACP to the test_group - only one message comes into my inbox (but there are still 4 members)
asinshesq wrote: And what do you mean when you say the hidden group is not available in the selective list after you reply to a post?? Are you using any of the mods to the mod (like the one that allows other users to email posts) or are you just using the basic mod that allows the admin to email posts?

Like I discribe on "A" - only unhidden groups are available to select when the admin is posting a new post to a combination of groups.

I use the basic mod.
asinshesq wrote: Also, what about the other files the mod adds or changes? lang_admin.php and the three new tpl files?

..I´ve made the text change in "lang_admin.php" and copied the three new tpl-files to dest. folders...

Regards and many thanks for your help!, Andreas

PS: If it is to difficult for you to reconstruct my special board configuration - I will take a clean copy of phpbb on a test-server an try it again.

Post by asinshesq »

KeraLensMod wrote: ...
asinshesq wrote:Sorry, I still don't know what you are saying. AThe mod is really 2 separate mods and I want to hear exactly what is happening to each part :

Yes, the admin can select the option to mail new post to combination of (non hidden) groups. I try it with my test_group (4 members) but I only receive one message back to my inbox (no error messages)....

The reason I keep asking questions is that you keep answering in contradictory ways. Let me try again. I think you are now saying that the problem you are having (which I do not have) applies to emailing posts to combinations of groups. It's NOT just a problem with the mass email from the ACP. Am I correct? Are you having EXACTLY the same problem with emailing posts to combinations of groups as you are having in using mass email from the ACP. Please keep in mind that these are totally separate functions so I need to know exactly where you are having the problem.

I don't hvae this problem in emailing to hidden or unhidden groups. But are you saying that you have no problem emailing to unhidden groups and you only have problems trying to email to hidden groups?
KeraLensMod

only one mail

Post by KeraLensMod »

Yes - in both ways are the same result - only one mail comes into my inbox by selecting the test_group with 4 members.

Regards, Andreas

Re: only one mail

Post by asinshesq »

KeraLensMod wrote: Yes - in both ways are the same result - only one mail comes into my inbox by selecting the test_group with 4 members.

Regards, Andreas

OK. So a few more questions:

1. If the group is not hidden what happens? Do all the emails come through?

2. Are yousure that the people in the group are given authorization to view posts in the forum where you are emailing the posts?

3. Do hidden groups still 'disappear' from your selection list in both the ACP and when you are emailing a post?

4. Did you use easymod to install?
KeraLensMod

Post by KeraLensMod »

KeraLensMod wrote: Yes - in both ways are the same result - only one mail comes into my inbox by selecting the test_group with 4 members.

Regards, Andreas

OK. So a few more questions:
asinshesq wrote: 1. If the group is not hidden what happens? Do all the emails come through?

... the same result, only one mail comes through.
asinshesq wrote: 2. Are yousure that the people in the group are given authorization to view posts in the forum where you are emailing the posts?

yes, its a forum with no restrictions.
asinshesq wrote: 3. Do hidden groups still 'disappear' from your selection list in both the ACP and when you are emailing a post?

no, they only dissapear by mailing from the forum - in the acp they are all visible
asinshesq wrote: 4. Did you use easymod to install?

no

Thank you for your time!

Regards, Andreas

Post by asinshesq »

KeraLensMod wrote: ...
asinshesq wrote:4. Did you use easymod to install?

no...

There's your problem ;)

I'm sure there are one or more mistakes in installation, since none of this happens on my board and there are lots of other people who are using this and no one reports these problems. But I'll try to take a look at your files some time over the next few days to see if I can spot the error.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

KeraLensMod: your posting.php has the following line that tells the mod to leave out all hidden gorups:

AND group_type <> 2

Where did that line come from (it's not in my mod)? I think if you delete it all hidden groups will show up when you email posts to groups.

(I suspect you got that from this post: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 12#1456312 , but that post specifically talks about how to make the mod hide hidden groups, which is exactly what you say you don't want it to do!)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”