[2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
1%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 79

rs-bhe.com

Post by rs-bhe.com »

Ok. I'll do this tomorrow.

Thanks for your support.
Mawerick

Post by Mawerick »

Okey, I understand that this mod only block for registration from proxies.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=356196 <- If you look here, you see the beef with my board.

What I need is a mod that blocks for registration AND for logging in. Could something like that be implemented?

I guess there are mods out there that is taking care of brutforcers aswell? The troublemaker I don't want in forums is guessing passwords from other users, and he is using a brutforcer to do that.
-Mawerick-
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

I posted something like that here:

http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/wordpress/?p=3

I haven't tested it with 2.2.1 of this MOD or 2.0.19 of phpBB, though. Since it's pretty simple, though, you can probably test it and remove it if it doesn't work (and let me know if it doesn't work) :)
Kalipo

Post by Kalipo »

Unable to load recently used proxies

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'thisdb.PROXY_TABLE' doesn't exist

:(

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ SQL ]-------------------------------------------
#
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_enable',2);
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_ban',0);
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_delay',1);
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_ports','005008fd0c3819bc1f401f90');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_cache_time',0);
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_block',1);
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_sort','last_checked,DESC');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_user_agent','phpBB Open Proxy Detector');
CREATE TABLE phpbb_proxies (
   ip_address char(8) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
   behavior tinyint(2) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
   port char(4) DEFAULT '0' NULL,
   last_checked int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY (ip_address)
);
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

#
#-----[ SQL ]-------------------------------------------
#
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('ip_link','http://network-tools.com/default.asp?host=%s');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('proxy_dnsbls',1);
CREATE TABLE phpbb_dnsbls (
   url char(255),
   domain_name char(100)
);
INSERT INTO phpbb_dnsbls (url, domain_name) VALUES ('http://www.spews.org/ask.cgi?x=%s','%s.l1.spews.dnsbl.sorbs.net');
INSERT INTO phpbb_dnsbls (url, domain_name) VALUES ('http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=%s','%s.sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org');
INSERT INTO phpbb_dnsbls (url, domain_name) VALUES ('http://dsbl.org/listing?%s','%s.list.dsbl.org');
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
Am I missing something :? :?:
Shanana

Post by Shanana »

Good one.
Novagallia

Post by Novagallia »

This mod is exactly what i need. I installed it with easymod without getting any errors or anything. My problem though is that it doesn't seem to detect any proxy at all. I've tried about 4-5 of them and everytime i get through without any problem. Even when I test ip's that i know are open proxies it says no proxy detected... any advice?
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

The MOD is disabled by default. You have to successfully test it via the ACP to activate it.

Also, when testing proxies, be sure to test them yourself, too. Just because some random website says that something is an open proxy doesn't mean that it is.

If it's slow, increasing the timeout will make it more detectable.
Novagallia

Post by Novagallia »

I did test them myself and the mod is enabled (and i also made the modification posted on your website that makes ip checked at logon for open proxies), everytime i got through without any problem. Would giving you the forum address help?
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

Were they slow when you tested them? If so, then try increasing the connection timeout.

Also, test via the ACP and tell me what the debug information says.

Finally... no - giving me the forum address at this time won't help. What will help is the above ;)

edit: also, give me some proxies that you've tested.
Novagallia

Post by Novagallia »

I increased the connection timeout and it now manages to detect some once in a while. I used proxies from this list : http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

I was happy to see that it detected some.
Some weren't detected like:
proxy: 218.18.120.5
debug:
Sample HTTP Request 1

GET /phpBB2/proxy/connect.php?address=218.18.120.5&port=6588 HTTP/1.0
Host: www.etapout.com
User-Agent: phpBB Open Proxy Detector
Connection: close

Sample HTTP Request 2

GET http://www.etapout.com/phpBB2/proxy/serve.php HTTP/1.0

Sample SQL Query

UPDATE phpbb_proxies SET behavior = behavior + 1 WHERE ip_address = 'da127805' AND behavior < 65

Execution Time: 11.52ms

proxy: 61.135.158.125
debug:
Sample HTTP Request 1

GET /phpBB2/proxy/connect.php?address=61.135.158.125&port=3128 HTTP/1.0

Sample HTTP Request 2

GET http://www.etapout.com/phpBB2/proxy/serve.php HTTP/1.0

Sample SQL Query

UPDATE phpbb_proxies SET behavior = behavior + 1 WHERE ip_address = '3d879e7d' AND behavior < 65

Execution Time: 11.45ms

proxies that have been detected are: 209.160.32.39 and 193.178.208.135

Since it detected some i'm not sure if it's functioning alright and the non detected proxies are just another type or something. Anyways did i mention this? I love your mods and i think You rule! :)
rs-bhe.com

Post by rs-bhe.com »

Could we simply manually add all those IPs to our banlist, or would that slow things down a lot?
Kalipo

Post by Kalipo »

Two posts and no response. I guess that table magically appears then.

Too bad my server doesn't have the required magic wand -shrugs
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

I increased the connection timeout and it now manages to detect some once in a while. I used proxies from this list : http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

I was happy to see that it detected some.
Some weren't detected like:

218.18.120.5 isn't listed on that page. I tried using it, with FireFox, on ports 8080, 80, and 3128, and got either connection timeout or connection refussed messages.

In any case, I am currently unable to test 2.2.1 out, myself (I'm working on 3.0.0 and don't want to replace it with 2.2.1 and risk losing the progress I've made; and no - you're not going to get an advance copy). As such, I can't say anything definitive, but... for each and every alleged proxy this MOD doesn't detect... can you actually use it as a proxy in FireFox or Internet Explorer or whatever? You say you've tested a few out. Are you testing each and every proxy out by hand, as well? I ask because, as I said earlier, if you can't use something as a proxy, this MOD isn't going to detect it as a proxy. Because, if it can't be used as a proxy, it isn't a proxy, despite what some website might say.

Also, are they slow? If it takes 30 seconds to load a page with a proxy, not even a timeout of 10 seconds will be enough to detect it. You'll probably need a timeout of more like 30 seconds.

If I sound skeptical, it's because a lot of people seem to think that proxy detection is an exact science - that there exists some magic program that'll tell you instantly whether or not something's a proxy. There isn't. Nor will there ever be one (mainly because it's impossible - it's impossible to factor numbers in constant time and the expectations people sometimes have of this MOD are equally impossible).

That said, if you were to provide me (via PM) with a temp. FTP account, I could poke and prod around, but I serriously doubt that'll get this MOD doing what you want.
Could we simply manually add all those IPs to our banlist, or would that slow things down a lot?

Sure. Be sure to do it every day, too, 'cause that website seems to be updated every day.
Two posts and no response. I guess that table magically appears then.

Too bad my server doesn't have the required magic wand -shrugs

Too bad, indeed. Too bad that you're apparent intellectual capacity is so limited that you can't even acknoledge the possibility that someone may have just accidently missed your post. If you wish to construe that as ineptitude, fine. While you're doing that, though, do consider the fact that if you had installed the MOD correctly - if you had modified constants.php as appropriate - you wouldn't have that problem.

Of course, if you'd rather pick and chose which parts of a MOD you're going to install without understanding why those parts are there in the first place, you might as well be using a magic wand. :roll:
Kalipo

Post by Kalipo »

TerraFrost wrote: Too bad, indeed. Too bad that you're apparent intellectual capacity is so limited that you can't even acknoledge the possibility that someone may have just accidently missed your post.

A flame, how clever.
TerraFrost wrote: If you wish to construe that as ineptitude, fine. While you're doing that, though, do consider the fact that if you had installed the MOD correctly - if you had modified constants.php as appropriate - you wouldn't have that problem.

No, just support....which I just got. Thank you.
TerraFrost wrote: Of course, if you'd rather pick and chose which parts of a MOD you're going to install without understanding why those parts are there in the first place, you might as well be using a magic wand. :roll:

Wow. I make a silly comment over an apparent missed post (long one I might add with the pretty little Image next to it ;)) and you go on a mud-flinging rampage. LOL

You win (which is safe to assume was your intent). Your insults were gooder than my joke.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

I thought you were actually trying to be insulting with your post, hence mine. I guess I.. umm... overreacted. For what little it's worth... I'm sorry :(

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”