[2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
1%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 79

roadloco

Post by roadloco » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:54 am

Just installed the proxy Mod on PHPBB 2.0.22, and get this in the CP when I try to check an IP:

Unable to check against proxy list

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'port' in 'field list'

Line : 94
File : SELECT port, behavior FROM phpbb_proxies WHERE ip_address = 'd1862892'

I'm a SQL noob - be gentle! :lol:

zeitlin

Post by zeitlin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:55 pm

Ok, thanks, I guess I'll plow ahead with EasyMOD. You've answered one of my main concerns about it.

Step by little step. Your MOD description has already introduced me to the ACP, which is a requirement, and which I now have successfully implemented.

On to EasyMOD! :)

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:38 pm

roadloco wrote: Just installed the proxy Mod on PHPBB 2.0.22, and get this in the CP when I try to check an IP:

Unable to check against proxy list

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'port' in 'field list'

Line : 94
File : SELECT port, behavior FROM phpbb_proxies WHERE ip_address = 'd1862892'

I'm a SQL noob - be gentle! :lol:

You didn't run the SQL. Try plugging it into http://sql.phpmix.com, reading the directions, and running the resultant code.

roadloco

Post by roadloco » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:47 pm

Try plugging it into http://sql.phpmix.com...

Tried that, but when I run the db_update, I just get a blank page.
Which is why I did the inserts manually thru MySQL...

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:19 am

roadloco wrote:
Try plugging it into http://sql.phpmix.com...

Tried that, but when I run the db_update, I just get a blank page.
Which is why I did the inserts manually thru MySQL...

Would you be willing to give me, via PM, a temp. FTP account? I'd like to verify this problem with db_update and, if it is indeed a problem, to do what I can to fix it.

If nothing else, it should get the SQL queries ran :)

johns1124

Post by johns1124 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:03 pm

I have installed this mod and it don't seem to work. Is it right that this mod will not work against people using sites like urlbrowse.com and proxy911.net against my website?

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:21 pm

johns1124 wrote: I have installed this mod and it don't seem to work. Is it right that this mod will not work against people using sites like urlbrowse.com and proxy911.net against my website?

That is indeed correct. CGI proxies - as both of those are - don't have a universal way of being accessed, whereas HTTP proxies do. CGI proxies can be placed at any particular director and trying to guess which directory they're in isn't really feasible. For HTTP proxies, you don't have to do any guess work - just send a specially crafted HTTP request to it and if it's an open proxy, it'll work.

If you wan to detect CGI proxies, IP Unmasker can do it. I need to release an update, but have, thus far, been more focused on other things.

johns1124

Post by johns1124 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:35 pm

Is IP unmasker the same as Speculative IP's? and does'nt it use java? thanks for yuor response!

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:53 pm

johns1124 wrote: Is IP unmasker the same as Speculative IP's? and does'nt it use java? thanks for yuor response!

Yup - they're the same. And when I release the update, I'll probably change the name, yet again, heh, to Proxy Revealer, or something. The reason being that the word "proxy" means more to people, I think, then "ip unmasker" does.

Per your other question... it actually does use Java.

crossfire39

Post by crossfire39 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:21 am

I installed the mod, but when I run a check on my own IP address the page sits there for several seconds and then goes to a "page connot be displayed" is this cause by my server configuration?

Duvaren

Post by Duvaren » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:12 am

Mod works fine for me. I had to go looking for a while to find an unsecured proxy to test against but it works! Thanks!

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:42 pm

crossfire39 wrote: I installed the mod, but when I run a check on my own IP address the page sits there for several seconds and then goes to a "page connot be displayed" is this cause by my server configuration?

Most likely, yes. 3.0.0 adds a few new methods and has some improved debugging stuff, iirc, that may help, however, I have, since writing 3.0.0, concluding that proxy detection of this manner is, no matter what, going to be highly dependent upon server configs. For that reason, I actually consider this MOD to be deprecated by IP Unmasker. There are a few updates I need to apply to IP Unmasker but that I haven't yet had time to do.

zeitlin

Post by zeitlin » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:08 pm

I actually consider this MOD to be deprecated by IP Unmasker.

But IP Unmasker is not shown in the main list of anti-spam mods. I didn't know about it until this minute.

Would there be a conflict with the Proxy mod if both were installed?

Would you recommend removing the Proxy mod before trying IP Unmasker?

Can the Proxy mod be successfully removed by easyMod, and can that be done after having installed numerous other mods subsequently?

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:47 am

zeitlin wrote: Would there be a conflict with the Proxy mod if both were installed?

Nope - there shouldn't be.
Would you recommend removing the Proxy mod before trying IP Unmasker?

Well, since it doesn't even work for you, yah - I'd remove it. You can try 3.0.0, but that's up to you.
Can the Proxy mod be successfully removed by easyMod, and can that be done after having installed numerous other mods subsequently?

You cannot remove it with EasyMOD. You can, however, uninstall it manually:

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=145

It's a fairly easy MOD to install manually and uninstalling it should be pretty easy, too.
Last edited by TerraFrost on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeitlin

Post by zeitlin » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:55 pm

It doesn't work? Then why is it still prominently listed on the main anti-spam topic in this forum????

And you've been saying that IP Unmasker isn't fully released yet.

That makes me uneasy about installing it as I don't know whether updating it will be supported.

So where does that leave us?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”