[2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
1%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 79

djblade

Re: [2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

Post by djblade »

for checking ip i am going look up ip and then gives me the line errors on there.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

djblade wrote:for checking ip i am going look up ip and then gives me the line errors on there.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you post a screenshot of the page you're doing that from, as well?

If you're doing it through this MOD, there should be a "Debug" panel...
djblade

Post by djblade »

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

I see what you mean, now, when you said you were unable to see Backup / Restore Database. It should be in the General Admin section but it isn't. Anyway, that's not a problem with this MOD. I'd recommend posting in the 2.0.x Support Forum to get help with that.

As for the Debug Panel... here's a screenshot of what I mean:

djblade

Post by djblade »

i done that and now for soem reason the mod is working with no erros despite the errors above i dont know what i have doen diffrent thats made it work
KeeKee

Post by KeeKee »

diverse textual, pictorial (see tutorials) and video guides (inside forum - need registration) how to be anonymous on the Web, how to bypass and unblock site, how to start using cgi proxy for protect your online privacy and how to Hide Ip Address on Internet, IRC (Mirc), ICQ, p2p / filesharing( Kazaa, Edonkey etc...)
I quoted that from a site that ws linked to way back in the beginning of this thread dedicated to using proxy servers.
My question would be what good is it to block proxy servers if they can just unblock it.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

KeeKee wrote:
diverse textual, pictorial (see tutorials) and video guides (inside forum - need registration) how to be anonymous on the Web, how to bypass and unblock site, how to start using cgi proxy for protect your online privacy and how to Hide Ip Address on Internet, IRC (Mirc), ICQ, p2p / filesharing( Kazaa, Edonkey etc...)
I quoted that from a site that ws linked to way back in the beginning of this thread dedicated to using proxy servers.
My question would be what good is it to block proxy servers if they can just unblock it.
You're misunderstanding what they mean.

Some schools and businesses block sites like facebook.com. They may do so by blocking the IP address, directly, or by blocking DNS queries that'd attempt to reveal the true IP address. Proxies can bypass this, essentially "unblocking" a site.

This MOD, however, doesn't block sites - it blocks proxies. Open ones.
KeeKee

Post by KeeKee »

O.K. I get it now, Thanks for the quick response.
bbwoolfy

Post by bbwoolfy »

I'm having trouble with this mod when I try and check an IP address, I'm taken to a debug screen and lots of errors show up, my CPU useage hits 100% and it churns away for ages, locking up my PC.

Now, I know this may seem like a bit of a silly question, but... does this mod only work with phpbb 2.0.18? I'm running 2.0.22.

I installed it using EasyMOD, with no errors and only have one other MOD installed, namely Textual Confirmation.

Please help, time is of the essence as my board is being attacked and I don't have time to read through all 46 pages of this thread.
bbwoolfy

Post by bbwoolfy »

Just started checking back through this thread and noticed djblade's post on page 45 which states he is getting errors like this...

Code: Select all

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/djblade/public_html/includes/functions_proxy.php on line 195
...which is exactly what I am experiencing. To which you replied...
TerraFrost wrote:Sounds like the fsockopen function may be disabled, in which case, this MOD isn't going to work, at all.

What does the Debug Panel in the ACP say?
What does that mean? Is this a function that needs to be enabled on my host's server?

Also, I read elsewhere that you said IP Unmasker was the successor to the Block Open Proxy MOD. I've downloaded that and was going to install it next, as I want to try and trace who's been attacking my board. Does it block open proxy registration also?

Also, if this fsockopen function affects the Block Open Proxy MOD, will it also therefore affect IP Unmasker? :?:
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

Now, I know this may seem like a bit of a silly question, but... does this mod only work with phpbb 2.0.18? I'm running 2.0.22.
This MOD does work on phpBB 2.0.22. Its 2.0.18 prefix tells you that the MOD Team has only validated it on 2.0.18. ie. the MOD Team can only guarantee that it works on that version. They're not going to test every MOD a new time a phpBB version comes out, either.
What does that mean? Is this a function that needs to be enabled on my host's server?
No. I posted a screenshot, earlier, demonstrating what I meant. I'll post it again:

Also, I read elsewhere that you said IP Unmasker was the successor to the Block Open Proxy MOD. I've downloaded that and was going to install it next, as I want to try and trace who's been attacking my board. Does it block open proxy registration also?
Yes. With certain caveats. It works differently than this MOD and so it'll catch things this MOD won't and this MOD will catch things that one won't. For the most part, though, I'd say that IP Unmasker catches more things that the other MOD won't then this MOD will.
bbwoolfy

Post by bbwoolfy »

Thanks for the speedy reply Terrafrost! 8-)

Like djblade, I don't even get the screen that you posted above, it just goes to a plain white page with a whole load of errors like he already listed.

So, what is this fsockopen function? Where is it enabled/disabled? Can I do this myself? Or is it something I'd need to contact my host about?
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

bbwoolfy wrote:Thanks for the speedy reply Terrafrost! 8-)

Like djblade, I don't even get the screen that you posted above, it just goes to a plain white page with a whole load of errors like he already listed.

So, what is this fsockopen function? Where is it enabled/disabled? Can I do this myself? Or is it something I'd need to contact my host about?
php.ini has a disable_functions directive. Unless you have access to it (which I doubt you do, based on your "contact my host" comment), you can't change that behavior You could contact your host, but.. to be honest, I doubt they'd activate it just for this MOD (ie. they probably have their reasons for disabling it). Installing IP Unmasker is probably your best bet...
dpap12

Post by dpap12 »

Installed...Works!!!

I was getting about 20 spam registrations a day. I have tried numerous mods to stop them, nothing has helped.

Threw this into my site in about 5 minutes, and havn't had one Spam registrant in the last 3 days.

Great mod, thanks!
shadow07

Post by shadow07 »

Um guys. I just installed this mod and I followed the directiosn carefully and everything, heck I even made another forum and used easymod there, and they both come out to the same problem. I have someone testing it with tons of open proxies and he was able to register with them and post with all of them event with open proxy enabled! Help!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”