[2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
1%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 79

phpDummie

Re: [2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

Post by phpDummie »

shadow07 wrote:... I have someone testing it with tons of open proxies and he was able to register with them and post with all of them event with open proxy enabled!
Did his IPs get logged? If not, remember that you have to acivate this MOD first by checking your own IP. Read in the notes about it.
doogalt

Post by doogalt »

Hello, I just installed this mod to a board that I recently upgraded to 2.0.22 and when I click "Block Open Proxies" in the Admin Panel I get a file permissions error, "A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again."

I have checked all the files included with the mod and they are all (777) at the moment, should they be (755) instead?

I couldn't see anything about permissions in the install.txt file

thanks,

Doug
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

I have no clue. I guess you could try renaming it... it's possible that the host maybe doesn't let people access pages that have the word "proxy" in them or something...
shadow07

Post by shadow07 »

Yes it is logging their ip, but its not blocking or heck I have it enabled to ban to and thats not even working. But it is logging them, but it logs the IP their on, even if it s the proxy IP, its logging that and it tests to not be an open proxy.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

it logs the IP their on, even if it s the proxy IP, its logging that and it tests to not be an open proxy.
Of course it's going to show you the proxy IP. That's all it can do. It's testing the IP address by trying to use the IP address as a proxy. Thus, if it were able to get any "real" IP addresses, the phpBB servers IP address is the IP address it'd get because that's the IP address that from which the connection is being initiated. If you want to get the "real" IP address of the person connecting, you'll need to install this MOD, which, for all practical purposes, has superseded this one.

If you still want to use this MOD, you'll need to give me (1) valid proxy addresses and (2) a temporary FTP account, which can be PM'd to me.
shadow07

Post by shadow07 »

If you still want to use this MOD, you'll need to give me (1) valid proxy addresses and (2) a temporary FTP account, which can be PM'd to me.
No thats ok, I dont feel comfortableabotu giving people evena temperary ftp acount to a forum im using. I have hoever ficxed the problem and added that proxy revealer and it seems to work now.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

shadow07 wrote:
No thats ok, I dont feel comfortableabotu giving people evena temperary ftp acount to a forum im using. I have hoever ficxed the problem and added that proxy revealer and it seems to work now.
What'd you do to fix it, out of curiosity?

Anyway, glad to hear it's working!
shadow07

Post by shadow07 »

A file didnt modify correctly though easy mod for soem reason, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it and installed that reveal thign and it works now.

seems to be workign correctly now
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4930/proxyfp7.png
northward

Post by northward »

TerraFrost, in trying to enable Ban Open Proxy Registrants on a second forum I'm operating I'm encountering the same problem Bustelo describes here about not being able to get the mod to stay "enabled":

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... d#p2019173

I note your reply to Bustelo as well.

Oddly, I have had your mod working properly on another forum on this server for quite some time now, so I think that I've ruled out a server issue. I've used the mod to successfully check an IP address first, as it gives the following output:

Code: Select all

Check IP Address 

Checking 71.199.0.34...
Hostname: c-71-199-0-34.hsd1.ut.comcast.net

No Proxy Severs Detected. 
Debug information generates the following:

Code: Select all

Sample HTTP Request 1

GET /forums/proxy/connect.php?address=71.199.0.34&port=6588 HTTP/1.0
Host: utahskiandsnowboard.com
User-Agent: phpBB Open Proxy Detector
Connection: close
Sample HTTP Request 2

GET http://utahskiandsnowboard.com/forums/proxy/serve.php HTTP/1.0
Host: utahskiandsnowboard.com
User-Agent: phpBB Open Proxy Detector
Connection: close
Sample SQL Query

UPDATE phpbb_proxies SET behavior = behavior + 1 WHERE ip_address = '47c70022' AND behavior < 65
Execution Time: 1.28ms 
I've not been successful in searching for a solution to this issue. Were you ever able to solve it? We're getting slammed with spam registrants on this new forum, and your mod was the only successful solution to that problem on our established forum.

Thanks a million for any advice!
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

I don't know why it's doing that. Maybe you're doing something wrong, maybe this MOD is. In order to figure it out, however, you'd need to provide me with FTP access.

That said, I consider IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer to be the successor to this MOD. You might want to consider installing that one.

I should mention, however, that it works rather differently then this MOD does. IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer can detect HTTP proxies and so-called CGI ones. It, however, is not able to distinguish between closed and open HTTP proxies as this MOD can. This MOD also cannot catch CGI proxies.

IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer also achieves the best results when the client is, basically, a full blown browser. It's unlikely to stop bots since bots don't really need to fully process HTML / Javascript or anything else.

Finally, this MOD is more affected by server configurations then IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer is. For example, if your web host is using NAT, this MOD will yield 100% false positives whereas IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer will be unaffected.
northward

Post by northward »

TerraFrost wrote:I don't know why it's doing that. Maybe you're doing something wrong, maybe this MOD is. In order to figure it out, however, you'd need to provide me with FTP access.
I have no problem with setting up FTP access for you, but only privately, of course. Let me know if you'd like me to PM that to you for I don't want to run afoul of PM issues again. :lol:
TerraFrost wrote:That said, I consider IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer to be the successor to this MOD. You might want to consider installing that one.

I should mention, however, that it works rather differently then this MOD does. IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer can detect HTTP proxies and so-called CGI ones. It, however, is not able to distinguish between closed and open HTTP proxies as this MOD can. This MOD also cannot catch CGI proxies.

IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer also achieves the best results when the client is, basically, a full blown browser. It's unlikely to stop bots since bots don't really need to fully process HTML / Javascript or anything else.
Well, this mod stopped our bot registration problem on our other PHPbb install dead in its tracks, so I'd prefer to stick with something that I know works.
TerraFrost wrote:Finally, this MOD is more affected by server configurations then IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer is. For example, if your web host is using NAT, this MOD will yield 100% false positives whereas IP Unmasker / Proxy Revealer will be unaffected.
Given that they're both set up on the same virtual server, I don't suspecta server configuration issue.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

northward wrote:
TerraFrost wrote:I don't know why it's doing that. Maybe you're doing something wrong, maybe this MOD is. In order to figure it out, however, you'd need to provide me with FTP access.
I have no problem with setting up FTP access for you, but only privately, of course. Let me know if you'd like me to PM that to you for I don't want to run afoul of PM issues again. :lol:
Yup - PM me the info :)
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

TerraFrost, in trying to enable Ban Open Proxy Registrants on a second forum I'm operating I'm encountering the same problem Bustelo describes here about not being able to get the mod to stay "enabled":
I didn't have any problems at all getting it to stay "enabled". I altered admin_proxy.php so I could log into it as a guest, changed the status from disabled to enabled, and... it appears that it is indeed staying "enabled"...

I've since undone my changes to admin_proxy.php.
northward

Post by northward »

Well, whatever you did, I now go in and see it "enabled." Really, I'm not losing my mind -- it wouldn't do that before when I'd change pages then come back in. :shock: Thank you, though, for taking the time to investigate -- I'll be very happy to not see nrop images posted to our user forums. :roll:
Jeen

Post by Jeen »

Wonderful mod! This is exactly what I needed. However, a bit of a problem --

I installed everything, ran the SQL queries, did everything as written in the instructions and did an IP scan before enabling. So after I enable, I logout of my ACP and go find a proxy to hide under to test it. I attempt to register underneath the proxy and I can still register, no problems what-so-ever. Nothing blocking me at all.

I figure the objective of this mod is to block registrations made under a proxy.

So, I'm generally lost. :|

Running: 2.0.22
No problems during the installation.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”