[2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
1%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 79

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Re: [2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

Post by TerraFrost »

Aladdin - please post publically instead of PMing me.

Anyway... check this post out:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=527421

It's an announcement that appears at the top of the forum.

angeljhouse

Post by angeljhouse »

I found that my free server not allow any activity related to PROXY (e.g. block proxy or record proxy)....so i can't install this mod sucessfully...

so... how can i do if i really want to use this mod? or just change the server.....

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

There's IP Unmasker. Since it uses all client-side tricks, it should be very hard for your webhost to do anything to break it (well, short of disabling Apache, or something, heh)

angeljhouse

Post by angeljhouse »

i want to download the above mod you said to try to install...
however, the mod's download link is down....
where can i download?

thanks!

diabolic.bg

Post by diabolic.bg »

Better you install IP Unmasker. This is a similar mod but newest and better than Block Open Proxy Registrants.
TerraFrost wrote:
diabolic.bg wrote: TerraFrost I have a question.
I already have installed IP unmasker. What do you think? Need I to install Block Open Proxy Registrants or not? Maybe it's a similar mod?
I have not installed it yet.

Thanks!

The two attempt to do the same thing, however, they each work in different ways.

That said, I don't intend to actively update the other one, anymore. As such, sticking with this one is probably your best bet :)

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

angeljhouse wrote: i want to download the above mod you said to try to install...
however, the mod's download link is down....
where can i download?

thanks!

Please read the announcments posted in this forum ;)
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

libralion

Post by libralion »

Hello Terrafrost,
I installed both the Block Open Proxy mod as well as the IP Unmasker on 1 of my 2 forums and that works.
But on the other forum if I try to check a proxy before being able to enable it in the ACP I get this:

"Warning: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments in /home/tinaturner/domains/tina-turner.nl/public_html/Forum Sarah/phpBB2/includes/functions_proxy.php on line 180"

I installed this mod with Easymod.
What does it mean and how can I solve this?
I have phpBB version 2.0.22 installed.

Johanna

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

Can you post that line and the corresponding $lang entry?

braless

Post by braless »

Can you be more explicit - I installed it with EasyMOD, but it is the self-installation that has me beaten. What does scan an IP in ACP then check the box, mean in plain English?

braless

Post by braless »

Don't worry - I got it. I just did not realise there is now a little box on the ACP called Block Open Proxies under General Admin, that opens the Mods own control panel.

BikerBabo

Post by BikerBabo »

Hello,

There is a user on my forum who is having trouble logging in. Every time they try, they get "Error scanning for proxies."

According to the member, the issue began after their computer crashed (not sure yet why it crashed), and they now cannot log in at all, let alone register a new account.

Any ideas what may be going on? Is there anything that should be checked, either on their end or on the forum?

TIA

BikerBabo

Post by BikerBabo »

The user was able to log in via a surf proxy website, for what that's worth.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm about to remove the MOD altogether if I can't get this resolved soon.

Can anyone recommend an effective alternative?

TIA

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

BikerBabo wrote: Hello,

There is a user on my forum who is having trouble logging in. Every time they try, they get "Error scanning for proxies."

According to the member, the issue began after their computer crashed (not sure yet why it crashed), and they now cannot log in at all, let alone register a new account.

Any ideas what may be going on? Is there anything that should be checked, either on their end or on the forum?

TIA

Users shouldn't be able to do anything that'd result in that error. What can cause that error message are server configuration stuff or the config settings of this MOD. It's because of that error that this MOD requires it be tested before being turned on.

Of course, if your server's configuration changes after this MOD has been installed, there's not much this MOD can do to stop that...

Incidentally, because there is nothing this MOD can do when server configs break it, I wrote a successor to this MOD - IP Unmasker.
BikerBabo wrote: The user was able to log in via a surf proxy website, for what that's worth.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm about to remove the MOD altogether if I can't get this resolved soon.

Can anyone recommend an effective alternative?

TIA

Well, I don't know what to say.

First, if you think proxy websites should be blocked, you'd be wrong. As the Author Notes state:

Code: Select all

##   Q: tomcavboy3 asks "This mod will not work if you use them free proxy surf websites,
##      such as http://proxy.guardster.com/ ?"
##
##   A: No - this MOD can only detect open HTTP proxies.  In fact, whether or not these
##      "proxy surf" websites even qualify as proxies is up for debate.  Do a Google search
##      for "proxy list".  The hits that Google returns aren't "proxy surf" websites - they're
##      lists of open HTTP proxies.  Do a Google search for "proxy".  The hits that are returned
##      are again for HTTP proxies - be they for the software used to operate one or lists of
##      them.  Basically, when most people refer to a proxy, they aren't refering to a "proxy
##      surf" website - they're refering to HTTP proxies.  So no - this MOD won't detect "open
##      proxy" websites.
##
##      Besides, just because someone labels something as an open proxy doesn't mean it actually
##      is.
Second, I have no idea why someone would get a "error scanning for proxies" message with their own IP but not that of a "proxy surf" website. In fact, I'm not even sure how it's possible.

This MOD works by trying to use someone's IP address as a proxy. It has a default timeout of 1 second, as well, meaning that if someone's computer doesn't respond to requests on a specific port or if someone's computer responds really slowly. It tests all the ports pretty much at the same time using techniques that certain server configs can break (PHP5 offers more reliable stuff but PHP5 isn't widely used).

So if a server config problem isn't to blame, as your second post suggests, then the only other thing that is possible is that your persons home IP address is casting a magic missile spell while turning the sun into a type of pudding that makes your server do weird things. Or something. I haven't a clue. It's why I wrote the successor to this MOD, anyway.

BikerBabo

Post by BikerBabo »

TerraFrost wrote: Users shouldn't be able to do anything that'd result in that error. What can cause that error message are server configuration stuff or the config settings of this MOD. It's because of that error that this MOD requires it be tested before being turned on.

I tested the MOD and it's been working fine for many months. I have two other users that report the same problem. According to what they say, one of them bypassed the problem by using a different computer that is not behind a router, and the other person (also behind a router) switched to a Netscape browser in order to log in. Not register, mind you (these are longstanding active users), but merely trying to log in. I'm not sure how relevant the browser or router configuration might be, but I thought it might be helpful to pass the info along for troubleshooting. The first user was using IE6 with no proxy settings enabled; I'm not sure if they're using a router.

Nobody else is having this problem, just the 3 users.
TerraFrost wrote: Of course, if your server's configuration changes after this MOD has been installed, there's not much this MOD can do to stop that...

Nothing has changed recently that I am aware of, and it's just a handful of users having this problem.
TerraFrost wrote: First, if you think proxy websites should be blocked, you'd be wrong.

No, I understand that part, just trying to help describe the problem and behavior.
TerraFrost wrote: Second, I have no idea why someone would get a "error scanning for proxies" message with their own IP but not that of a "proxy surf" website. In fact, I'm not even sure how it's possible.

I have no idea either, but my server logs confirm it.
TerraFrost wrote: It has a default timeout of 1 second, as well, meaning that if someone's computer doesn't respond to requests on a specific port or if someone's computer responds really slowly.

What... it returns that error? Is it a timeout issue? What happens if the response is slow?

My understanding is that the MOD functions during the registration process... should it even be triggered during a login?
TerraFrost wrote: So if a server config problem isn't to blame, as your second post suggests, then the only other thing that is possible is that your persons home IP address is casting a magic missile spell while turning the sun into a type of pudding that makes your server do weird things. Or something. I haven't a clue. It's why I wrote the successor to this MOD, anyway.

OK, so be it. I removed the MOD. Thanks for your time.

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

According to what they say, one of them bypassed the problem by using a different computer that is not behind a router, and the other person (also behind a router) switched to a Netscape browser in order to log in. Not register, mind you (these are longstanding active users), but merely trying to log in.

If they're encountering the problem at login, then this MOD, quite simply, isn't to blame. Here are the files this MOD modifies:

Code: Select all

## Files To Edit: 4
##      includes/constants.php
##      language/lang_english/lang_main.php
##      language/lang_english/lang_admin.php
##      includes/usercp_register.php
Sure, in theory, it should be possible to modify lang_main.php to give you that error, but this MOD doesn't even come close to doing that.
No, I understand that part, just trying to help describe the problem and behavior.

Ah - ok. Well, too much info is better then too little, I guess, heh.
I have no idea either, but my server logs confirm it.

Your server logs confirm that they're getting an "unable to scan for proxies" error message? All my own server logs log is the HTTP request, not including POST data, or COOKIE data.
It has a default timeout of 1 second, as well, meaning that if someone's computer doesn't respond to requests on a specific port or if someone's computer responds really slowly.

What... it returns that error? Is it a timeout issue? What happens if the response is slow?

Sorry - I guess I was typing to quickly. This is what I should have said:
It has a default timeout of 1 second, as well, meaning that if someone's computer doesn't respond to requests on a specific port or if someone's computer responds really slowly, it'll stop trying after 1 second.

My understanding is that the MOD functions during the registration process... should it even be triggered during a login?

Your understanding is correct. There's no way, without modification, for this to be triggered during the login process.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”