[2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
1%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 79

BikerBabo

Re: [2.0.18] Block Open Proxy Registrants

Post by BikerBabo »

TerraFrost wrote: If they're encountering the problem at login, then this MOD, quite simply, isn't to blame.

The problem was resolved the moment I removed the MOD. Draw your own conclusions.
TerraFrost wrote:
I have no idea either, but my server logs confirm it.

Your server logs confirm that they're getting an "unable to scan for proxies" error message? All my own server logs log is the HTTP request, not including POST data, or COOKIE data.

No, my server logs confirm that the user triggered the MOD when merely trying to login, and the logs further confirm that the same user logged in successfully immediately afterwards via a proxy website.
TerraFrost wrote: Your understanding is correct. There's no way, without modification, for this to be triggered during the login process.

If you say so. I'm curious what other explanation there might be for the source of an error that says 'error scanning for proxies', if it's not the proxy scanning MOD that, upon removal, caused the problem to be resolved.

I'm no expert, but to me it's pretty straightforward: Proxy Scanning MOD = proxy scanning error; NO Proxy Scanning MOD = NO proxy scanning error. Conclusion: the Proxy Scanning MOD caused the proxy scanning error to occur, somehow. I personally like that better than the "magic missile spell" theory.

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

Here are the modifications this MOD makes to files phpBB includes by default:

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/constants.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
define('VOTE_USERS_TABLE', $table_prefix.'vote_voters');
#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------
#
define('PROXY_TABLE', $table_prefix.'proxies');

define('PROXY_ERROR',99);
define('PROXY_TRANSPARE',65);
define('PROXY_ANONYMOUS',66);
define('PROXY_HIGH_ANON',67);
Maybe that's blocking people! Doesn't look like it could, to me, but hey, what do I know?

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
language/lang_english/lang_main.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
$lang['A_critical_error'] = 'A Critical Error Occurred';
#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------
#
$lang['proxy_detected'] = 'Open %s HTTP Proxy Server Detected on Port %d.';
$lang['proxy_reg_block'] = 'Registration attempt blocked.';
$lang['proxy_t0'] = 'Transparent';
$lang['proxy_t1'] = 'Anonymous';
$lang['proxy_t2'] = 'High Anonymity';
...or maybe this is blocking people! I mean, it's either got to be this or the above. The other two files that this MOD modifies - lang_admin.php and usercp_register.php - aren't included when people login.

I also apologize if I sound harsh. It's just that I don't see how what you're saying is possible, as explained above - not unless you've made modifications, as stipulated in my earlier post, that you've not told me about.

pbechoman

Post by pbechoman »

I agree with the above comments regarding open proxies. My experience shows that all the registration attacks I had on one of my forums were from a few people with the aid of proxies! You ban an IP they go use another one. I found out that they use proxies because they have a good reason to hide their walkabouts.

Keep in mind that most open proxies are mis-configured proxies. They stay open until their users just find connection to internet extremely slow, complain to the admin, he realises he's got the door open to everyone, then shuts it. Hence there are loads of lists that are updated on a daily basis. People who search for them, know about them and use them, they are not your average user that just browses about for the latest news.

Again it really depends on the forum you are running. If you are running ie. a forum that discusses politics on a rough country that opposes the freedom of speech, disabling open proxies virtually means killing your traffic so don't use this MOD.

Do not forget internet can be a very hostile environment so it is a good practise to try and cover yourself and your online community. Most forums like mine can live just fine without open proxy connections.

mtylerb

Post by mtylerb »

I'm having an issue with constantly getting a Connection Timeout (0) report. I have scanned hundreds of IP's (including ones I've found on Open Proxy IP lists) and they all give the same report. Does this rely on another webpage? I'm not too familiar with how this mod works, but it seems to me there should be more happening. The dnsbl scan usually finds 1+ reports for most of the IP's I've scanned. Anyone?

TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

mtylerb wrote:I'm having an issue with constantly getting a Connection Timeout (0) report. I have scanned hundreds of IP's (including ones I've found on Open Proxy IP lists) and they all give the same report. Does this rely on another webpage? I'm not too familiar with how this mod works, but it seems to me there should be more happening. The dnsbl scan usually finds 1+ reports for most of the IP's I've scanned. Anyone?
Your server is probably configured in a way that prevents this MOD from working. Clicking on the Debug Panel will open it up and provide you with more info. Could you tell me what it says?

As for how it works... it doesn't rely on another webpage... what it does is that it (connect.php) attempts to use an IP address as a proxy. It tries to connect to a serve.php. serve.php looks at the headers of the HTTP request and outputs the proxy type. connect.php reads this and logs it.

mtylerb

Post by mtylerb »

Block Open Proxy wrote:Block Open Proxy Registrants

Scans for proxies on the specified ports. Debug information can be found by clicking on the "Debug Information" text.

Click Here to return to the previous page.
Check IP Address wrote:Checking 66.191.48.131...
Hostname: 66-191-48-131.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com

Connection Timeout (0)

DNSBL Entries: [0] [1]
Debug Information wrote:Sample HTTP Request 1

GET /proxy/connect.php?address=66.191.48.131&port=3128 HTTP/1.0
Host: labourtalk.org
User-Agent: Labourtalk.org Proxy Check
Connection: close

Sample HTTP Request 2

301 Moved Permanently

Moved Permanently
The document has moved here.