rakastajatar wrote:...I did everything to the T.
I followed every instruction....
No, you didn't. And if you do this again, let me suggest that you use easymod so that you won't waste your time and ours trying to fix the mess that manual installations often make.
As for fixing your board now...are you saying you don't have a real backup of the full phpbb2 directory so that you really can't go back to where you were without installing a fresh set of files? And did you have an already modded board or was it pretty much clean so that it doesn't matter if you go to a clean phpbb2.0.18 board?
I mean, before starting the editing process, i saved the files twice. one set to edit .. one set as back up. incase i did something wrong. since i did, i tried uploading the back up files.
I have one simple question.
Can I safely dump the database to an SQL file, install the new version and then import all my old data?
doing this from verison 2.0.11
Are you saying that you have no mods you care about installed so that you are ok starting with a brand new clean board? If so, this becomes very very easy. You don't even need to dump the db and reinstall it. Here's what to do:
1. Save your config.php file somewhere.
2. Delete your old phpbb2 directory, download a clean set of phpbb2 2.0.18 files and upload them to replace your entire old phpbb2 directory.
3. Move that config.php file back into the phpbb2 directory you just uploaded (replacing the new one that came with phpbb2 2.0.18)
4. Delete the contrib directory.
5. Go to www.yourdomain.com/install/update_to_latest.php
(obviously use whatever your forum address is rather than www.yourdomain.com
for that www.yourdomain.com
6. Follow directions on the screen to update your db.
7. Delete your install directory.
That's all there is to it. Let us know what happens.