[2.0.20] Advanced Version Check

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
47%
Very Good
37%
Good
11%
Fair
No votes
Poor
5%

Total votes: 19

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.20] Advanced Version Check

Post by Extensions Robot » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:36 pm

MOD Name: Advanced Version Check
Author: Fountain of Apples
MOD Description: Adds a Version Check system to phpBB that checks for the latest version of phpBB and various other phpBB MODs that may be installed.

Features:
  • AVC supports Categories Hierarchy 2.1.1-2.1.4 (by Ptirhiik) right out of the box, including the CH version checkers
  • Simple, easy-to-use overview page which displays checker data for all MODs at a glance
  • Run version checks in the background when the AVC admin panels are not active
  • Send an e-mail and/or a private message to a specified address or all admins when a MOD is updated
  • AVC can insert a post in a specified forum when a MOD is updated
  • Update Log which can track past version check actions and when a MOD was updated, including timestamps
  • Caches check data in the database so checks aren't run each time the page load, but at intervals
AVC also provides an easy and powerful system to allow MOD authors to create checkers for their MODs (see MOD's topic for link):
  • Easy to follow, easy to understand instructions
  • Track both stable and development versions in one remote file
  • MOD Author System utilizes valid XML 1.0 standard
  • Remotely update latest version, MOD URL, MOD download link just by editing the file
  • Add Authors Notes to the remote file which AVC will display
Note that AVC requires at least phpBB 2.0.19 to be installed; it is incompatible with earlier versions.

This download includes installation scripts in the MODX Template and Text MOD Template, update scripts for AVC releases since 2.1.3, AVC userguide and FAQ, and AVC integration guide for MOD authors.

MOD Version: 3.0.6 (Updated 05/21/06)

Download File: advancedversioncheck_306a.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 229156 Bytes

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:41 am

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Allows you to add version checks for MODs in addition to phpBB.

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:35 pm

Temporary Download Link from phpBB.com: Download

Advanced Version Check 3.0.6 Approved!

After almost 2 months of development, over 4 months of bugfixing/submitting, and 8 submissions to the MOD Database, Advanced Version Check 3.0.6, the "I'm NOT the Decider" edition, has been approved to the MOD Database!
About AVC 3
Advanced Version Check 3 improves where AVC 2 left off. Featuring a complete code reorganization and performance improvements in every corner of the MOD, AVC 3 is much faster and easier to use than its predecessor. General interface improvements and brand new first class features complete the ensemble.

The redesigned Version Check page is built from the ground up for managing multiple version checks with style. It displays the most basic information for each MOD, and a collapsable view allows to view more detailed information. Also, a big request: If there is an error with a particular check, it will not shut down the whole page. The individual MOD will display an error notice, but the other MODs will not be affected.

A brand new feature set which is the first of its kind is found in AVC 3. I call it the Version Check Notification System. If enabled, this allows the version checks to run regularly (at intervals) in the background on your board. A user won't even notice that it's happening. However, if a version check finds that a MOD has been updated, it can send an e-mail, send a PM, and/or make a post on a forum which will notify you that a MOD was updated. This helps transform AVC from a basic version information MOD to a version checking platform a lot like Software Update apps.

Of course, Advanced Version Check is nothing without MOD authors supporting it. MOD Authors should note that there have been updates to the AVC retrievable file since AVC 2: The retrievable file is now XML based, and includes a set of new features. The full details can be found in the brand new MOD Authors pack which is in the docs/ directory of the AVC download. Although AVC 3 still supports the AVC 2 retrievable file, its use has been deprecated, and the next major update of AVC will not support it.

AVC is also the first of my MODs premiering the MODX Template and the new FOA edition XSL (I decided I wanted to do my own instead of the default subSilver-like one). :)

For MOD Authors
Do you want a version checker for your MODs? It is very easy to set up. There is a MOD authors pack which includes a guide to setting up the files needed for a version checker and distributing them. This process only takes up about 5-10 minutes, and you are guided every step of the way. To get started, download AVC 3 and open the MOD Authors guide found in the docs/ directory of the zip.

Is there a list of MODs that use AVC?
No. The code for creating a version checker is open source, meaning it's just "out there" for anyone to use, meaning that no list would ever be accurate. Therefore, I have not attempted to maintain a list. If you would like a MOD that you're using to include a version checker for AVC, you could try politely mentioning it to the author.

Credits:
AVC 3 is made possible by a LOT of help that has been given to me during the development process:
Thanks to DemonBob < http://www.systemoverload.net > who helped out as secondary MOD author during the 1.1.x and 2.0.x release lines, and who contributed most of the code during those release lines. Much of it has also been passed onto AVC 3.
The JavaScript for the admin_version.php interface was borrowed from the Admin Userlist MOD by wGEric < http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=117359 >.
Thanks to Ptirhiik < http://ptifo.clanmckeen.com > for giving me advice with the Categories Hierarchy integration!
The xml class script was designed by the phpBB Support Team and is used with permission. < http://www.phpbb.com/about/#7330 >
Thanks so much to my colleagues on the phpBB Group who have helped out with debugging AVC.
The Version Check Notification utilizes phpBB's emailer() class (included within phpBB), an adaptation of netclectic's insert_post() function, and an adaptation of wGEric's insert_pm() function.
The AVC Install script is adapted from markus_petrux's SQL Parser < http://sql.phpmix.com >.

Categories Hierarchy Compatibility:
By popular request, AVC is compatible with Categories Hierarchy by Ptirhiik, versions 2.1.1-2.1.4. However, AVC is not compatible with CH 2.1.5 because a) it is in development and b) it changes CH's version checking methods. I hope to support CH 2.1.5 and later versions in a future release of AVC.

Translations:
We need translators!
This MOD is a really popular MOD--but it is English only at the moment. Translating AVC requires duplicating install_part1.xml and install_part2.xml and translating all elements which indicate lang="en-gb". You will also have to translate the four $lang vars added to language/lang_*/lang_admin.php, and the entire lang_avc.php included in the zip. When you have completed this, please send me a PM and I will give you an e-mail address through which you can send me the translated files. Please do not post the translations in this topic because I will need to review and prepare them to upload to the Fountain of Apples phpBB MODs project at SourceForge. Note that if updates to AVC 3 facilitate the need for additional $lang vars, I will probably get in contact with you to ask you to translate them.
Thanks a lot in advance to anyone willing to translate! :)

Future Development and phpBB3 Support:
Development topics for the next major revision of AVC have been opened! Advanced Version Check will be a phpBB2-only MOD, however a new MOD, named MOD Update Check, is now in development for the purpose of porting and implementing AVC in phpBB3. To help reduce confusion, the phpBB2 and phpBB3 versions of this MOD will be named and numbered separately. For more information, choose a topic below:
Advanced Version Check 3.2 Development for phpBB2
MOD Update Check 1.0 Development for phpBB3

Enjoy Advanced Version Check 3!
--Fountain of Apples
Last edited by webmacster87 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 24 times in total.

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:27 am

Screenshots don't display. Says there are errors in them. :(

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:29 am

Load for me without problems.

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:41 am

It won't load for me either. I'm using Firefox.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

bebe2803

Post by bebe2803 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:42 am

agent00shoe wrote: Screenshots don't display. Says there are errors in them. :(
+1 it says contain error

i am using netscape 7.2 = =
怨念公社 (trad. chinese big5 forum)

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:45 am

Is it the actual .jpg files that won't display, or does simply clicking the link display an error?

And what error displays?

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:01 am

Example: first screen shot:

The image “http://www.webmacster87.info/avc/index_up.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
@ The Infinity Program.

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:15 am

8O Well, that's weird. I took it using my computer's built-in screenshots thing; I'll try to figure out what's wrong.

For now, you just have to install on faith. ;)

bebe2803

Post by bebe2803 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:48 am

The img links are ok, when the image is loading, it show that error. (The image “http://www.webmacster87.info/avc/index_notup.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.)
怨念公社 (trad. chinese big5 forum)

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:31 am

Yeah, I understand. I'll try to fix when I have time.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:58 am

Excellent MOD Fountain!!!

Since there are some problems with the screenshots, I will provide screenshots from my board. These were taken using Gadwin Printscreen and the images are hosted for free at ImageShack...

:lol:

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:08 am

NightriderXP wrote: Image

That looks great. I'm interested in installing it now. About the last image, though. I notice that, under Version Check, and for the last sentence of the paragraph, it says "If your installation is up-to-date". Shouldn't it say "If your installation is not up-to-date" (emphasis added)?

I know it's very minor, but I didn't think it would hurt to report it so that, in future addition, that minor error may be corrected.

Unless, of course, I misread, which I don't doubt I may have did, as I often do that. ^^;
@ The Infinity Program.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:26 am

I just looked at the install file. If you haven't installed this MOD yet, you can change the wording on the following line BEFORE applying the code to your board. Don't forget to save the modified file before uploading it...

Code: Select all

$lang['Version_check_explain'] = 'Using this facility, you can check to see whether or not your current installation of phpBB is up-to-date or not, as well as get other information on phpBB.com. If your installation is up-to-date, you should update it as soon as possible using one of the links below, as updates to phpBB usually fix security holes and other similar bugs that can be found in phpBB.';
If you have already applied the MOD and you want to modify that line, go into your language/lang_english/lang_admin.php file to make the change. That is a very minor issue though that I bet most people won't even notice. Those who do will understand what it is trying to say and since the only ones seeing this text will be Admins and Moderators, then hopefully there will never be any misunderstanding of what is intended. Anyone who doesn't understand probably shouldn't have access to the ACP to begin with...

That said, I just finished updating my lang_admin.php using your suggestion just in case... LOL

:lol:

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”