[2.0.20] Topic Description

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
14%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
10%

Total votes: 49

happyjoy2

Post by happyjoy2 »

Thank you so much, Swizec! That's all done the trick. As for the defaults, I oofed above - long story - so that's fine too. Big thumbs up! :D
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

Heh no prob, glad you could be helped ^^
bobber

Post by bobber »

Fantastic Swizec, works like a charm now. Only Moderators and Administrators can enter Topic Descriptions as allowed in the Admin permissions.

Thanks a million.
find3r

install

Post by find3r »

how can i install it? where is the instructions?
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

You download the package and there should be a .mod file inside. That's the instructions in regular mod syntax as explained in the knowledge base on this website. You are advised though to use EasyMod as that will make everything work much smoother and painless.
find3r

help

Post by find3r »

Swizec wrote: You download the package and there should be a .mod file inside. That's the instructions in regular mod syntax as explained in the knowledge base on this website. You are advised though to use EasyMod as that will make everything work much smoother and painless.

i send all files to my server in the mods folder and tryed to install with EM, but didnt worked, it shows hundreds of erros, dont even install!

i click process and shows all the errors, what do i have to do? the only thing ive done is, unzip the file and uploaded all the mods folder.
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

What you should do depends on what kind of errors you got ;)
makisupa

PLEASE HELP. MY FORUM IS DOWN

Post by makisupa »

I was using EasyMod to install Topic Decription. Everything looked A-OK, however I'm receiving this error when try to access a forum, now:

Failed obtaining tooltip data

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'f.auth_desc' in 'field list'

SELECT f.auth_desc, f.auth_moddesc FROM phpbb_forums f WHERE f.forum_id=1 LIMIT 0,1

Line : 62
File : functions_desc.php

Since I am a n00b, I generally only install mods that pass EasyMods test. Lesson learned here, I guess; however, I'm desperately trying to fix this. I have no experience editing SQL (which is why I use EasyMod), but it looks like something is wrong in the SQL, right?

I'm not familiar with phpMyAdmin. Can someone PLEASE advise?

Help Restore My Community
Thanks.
makisupa

Post by makisupa »

Sorry for the double post, but... PHEW! I was able to restore the backup files from the back folder for the interim to keep the board running. I would still like to address this issue and get this MOD up and running now that a lot of changes to the SQL have been made...
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

It would seem the auth_desc column didn't get added to the forums table. What you need to do is fairly simple, check if EM fails to execute any queries and execute them manually. None should be missing in the instructions...
makisupa

Post by makisupa »

Swizec wrote: What you need to do is fairly simple, check if EM fails to execute any queries and execute them manually. None should be missing in the instructions...

Sorry, but how might I do that?
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

WHen installing a mod with EM it tells you which instructions were executed properly and which failed. With the SQL, if memory serves correctly, it's so that when one fails none of the others get executed, which should be all noted in the info it outputs at the SQL step.
makisupa

Post by makisupa »

Yes! There was a line that failed due a "duplicate line." How might I execute the SQL manually? Sorry. n00b.
trinta

Post by trinta »

I did a manual upgrade to 2.0.20, and this mod is the only thing that isn't working correctly for me now. Topic descriptions no longer display anywhere, except in the text box when creating or editing a post. In other words, I can put in a Description while creating a new post. When I edit the post, I can see it again. But it isn't showing on either the index_body or the viewtopic pages.

When I view the source of the page where it should be displaying but isn't, the <span> for it is there--it's like there's a breakdown between the page and the function that populates the value. But if I set it to the first 255 characters of the post, or to a username link, that works.

I've tried disabling then re-enabling it to no avail.

Oh, here's something weird. When I first did the upgrade, the descriptions were visible. I attempted to post a reply to a topic and got kicked back to the community's index page. I went back in, descriptions were visible, I was again kicked out after clicking Reply. Tried a third time, descriptions NOT visible, reply function worked. :x Since then, they've continued not working.

Ideas? Thanks so much for any help!

Edited to add: The "something weird" paragraph recreates itself everytime I close and re-open my browser. I've been using Firefox, but switched to IE and was able to reply successfully with Descriptions visible. However, after the reply was posted, Descriptions were gone.
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

Hmm, phpBB updated... will have to check for any quirks and stuff... this might take time, but right now I can't tell you anything realyl as to what could be causing any of the listed problems except that they're weird.

@Makisupa: through phpmyadmin or something

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”