[2.0.20] Topic Description

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
14%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
10%

Total votes: 49

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

O.o

could you post a screenie of what you are speaking of please
newcster68

Post by newcster68 »

You know I tried the last description mod and did it 5 times and could not get the description to show under the subjuect..so I GAVE UP!!!

I thought, WOW someone else made another description mod..been at this since yesterday and have installed this 3 times now and on fresh boards and STILL CANT FREAKIN GET IT TO WORK.

I never in my life had so many problems installing phpbb mods. I also use IPB and install hundreds of mods without one hitch.

I honestly can say that you ppl that create these mods need to seriously take in to consideration that lots of other ppl have other mods also installed on their boards and you need to consider checking everything before submitting your mod to the database because it may conflict with other mods.

Now, with that said. CAN SOMEONE FREAKIN HELP ME GET THIS DANG MOD TO FREAKIN WORK before i just say screw phpbb

thanku...

I have went over and over on every edit and I know I did everything correct.. The only possible thing I can see that may be causing it not to show the description under the subject area..is this edit..
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

$sql = ($mode != "editpost") ? "INSERT INTO " . TOPICS_TABLE . " (topic_title,

#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

// mod topic description: add to sql query

#
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

topic_title,

#
#-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

topic_description, topic_descmod,

#
#

VALUES ('$post_subject',

#
#

'$post_description', '$desc4mod',

#
#

"UPDATE " . TOPICS_TABLE . " SET topic_title = '$post_subject',

#
#

topic_description='$post_description', topic_descmod='$desc4mod',

The part in bold above I found in my includes/functions_post.php
but there is an additional line right below it..
$sql = ($mode != "editpost") ? "INSERT INTO " . TOPICS_TABLE . " (topic_title, topic_description, topic_descmod, topic_poster, topic_time, forum_id, topic_status, topic_type, topic_vote) VALUES ('$post_subject', '$post_description', '$desc4mod', " . $userdata['user_id'] . ", $current_time, $forum_id, " . TOPIC_UNLOCKED . ", $topic_type, $topic_vote)" : "UPDATE " . TOPICS_TABLE . " SET topic_title = '$post_subject', topic_description='$post_description', topic_descmod='$desc4mod', topic_type = $topic_type " . (( $post_data['edit_vote'] || !empty($poll_title)) ? ", topic_vote = " . $topic_vote : "") . " WHERE topic_id = $topic_id";

$sql = ($mode != "editpost") ? "INSERT INTO " . TOPICS_TABLE . " (topic_title, topic_poster, topic_time, forum_id, topic_status, topic_type, topic_dl_type, topic_vote) VALUES ('$post_subject', " . $userdata['user_id'] . ", $current_time, $forum_id, " . TOPIC_UNLOCKED . ", $topic_type, $topic_dl_type, $topic_vote)" : "UPDATE " . TOPICS_TABLE . " SET topic_title = '$post_subject', topic_type = $topic_type, topic_dl_type = $topic_dl_type " . ((@$post_data['edit_vote'] || !empty($poll_title)) ? ", topic_vote = " . $topic_vote : "") . " WHERE topic_id = $topic_id";
newcster68

Post by newcster68 »

:lol: :lol:

All that mouthing off I just did and I finallygot it working..wheeew!
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

LOL

posting your problem online always magically solves it huh

also you might consider using EM ;)
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Swizec wrote: also you might consider using EM ;)

Agreed. It's amazing how many people refuse to use EM, then they screw up their install and start blaming everyone else for their problems. Just use EasyMod and make life easier for everyone. Why bother us with your problems if you won't bother to use EasyMod???

:!:
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

What I wonder is where the hell do people find the time to install mods by hand, I sure wouldn't spend 50minutes on Topic Desc 1.11.x (the new version coming soon) if I can just use EM and get it done in 2minutes...
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Some people just seem to have a lot of extra time on their hands, so they use it doing the menial task of copying and pasting code from these MODs into their boards. It keeps them busy I guess and perhaps out of trouble. I think that time would be better served installing as many different MODs as possible, as quickly as possible...

The members in my community benefit greatly too when I choose to use EM over the manual install method since there is now a lot more functionality on my board then they could have ever hoped for. I've installed over 720 MODs on my board using EM. I would never have done that if I had been installing all of them manually. Then of course, I don't have a lot of extra time on my hands to waste doing the brain dead activity of copying and pasting code into my board...

:!:
aka_G

Post by aka_G »

Swizec wrote: What I wonder is where the hell do people find the time to install mods by hand, I sure wouldn't spend 50minutes on Topic Desc 1.11.x (the new version coming soon) if I can just use EM and get it done in 2minutes...

prob could be some one just unable to use EM....just like me i tried many time but still can get through.....dam grzzzzzzzzzzzzz

no one support me hihi
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

aka_G, if you are having trouble installing EM, I would be more than happy to try to help you install it. Just send me a PM if you're interested...

:lol:
newcster68

Post by newcster68 »

I have easyMod installed.. I tried using it on this mod but it would not work..I have a torrent mod on my forum which the files are dramatically changed..em would not recognize the edits you had for this mod causelots of lines n the posting.php have been altered...

and nooo I dont have tons of time on my hand..I love easyMod..just this time it would not work.
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Do you know how to modify the MOD file to match your board so that you can use EM? That's a lot easier and faster than manually modifying your board...

:?:
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

yeah, I do that all the time, if a FIND fails I just change the line so the FIND doesn't fail

but generally any mod that dramatically changes the lines in the files is not good...

I try to avoid it as best I can :P
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Most MOD authors provide far too much information in their FIND statements, guaranteeing that they will work on far fewer boards. With EM, less is best. If the MOD authors would simply provide one unique word or as little as possible to be unique, then EM can find the correct line and make the appropriate changes on the highest number of boards, even when there are multiple templates and the boards have been heavily modded. It only takes one extra space or comma to turn a FIND into an error. It doesn't make sense to write MODs that will only work on vanilla phpBB boards for a particular version and only subSilver template when you don't have to...

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

yeah, that's true, the new version of topic descriptions has far better compatibility than this one I think :)
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

That would be nice. Since the MOD files have to be readable by both humans and EM for those who must or want to do it manually, then there has to be a balance between providing enough so that it doesn't confuse humans, but as little as possible, so that EM can use it on the most number of boards. I wish they would just make EM standard install, along with phpBB and tell everyone to use EM right from the beginning so MOD files can be written for EM only. That would definitely simplify the process for everyone, including MOD authors...

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”