[2.0.17] Live Email Validate (LEV)

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
66%
Very Good
19%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
9%

Total votes: 32

obiku

Post by obiku » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:08 pm

This is a nice mod :D .
Now one question. I just installed this mod, but my board has already a bunch of members. Some real members, some fake members. How can I fast check all the email adresses is my db, if they are real email adresses??

Mayby an add on??

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:59 am

Thanks! :)

You'd probably need a custom php script which can pull all the email addies out of the db and then run them through the validate_email() function (which will use LEV to verify them) - then flag or dump each one that doesn't check out - after that you'll have to decide how to deal with them, after all if the email addresses are no good you can't contact them that way. Not a hugely difficult task but possibly a time-consuming one 8)
`
"It's not the things you do right that matter, it's the things you don't do wrong"

officeralien

no route?

Post by officeralien » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:47 pm

Could not connect to the mail server, see the FAQ page for further info
mailin-04.mx.aol.com : no route to this domain, host unavailable

i went to test register and i tried aol hotmail my domian.... it seems to resolve them ie i put like jane@aol.com and itll spit out the above mailin-04.mx.aol.com but still says no route to domain?.... what could cause this... thx

officeralien

Post by officeralien » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:17 am

bump

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:46 pm

See my comment on page 7 ;)
`
"It's not the things you do right that matter, it's the things you don't do wrong"

officeralien

Post by officeralien » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:02 pm

Try a proper POP3 mailbox on a regular ISP account

how are you supposto do that thru phpbb?... you mean try using an email from isp cause i tried that and it resolves it again but i still got the error

Leij

Post by Leij » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Im quite a newb with all this php and modding my forum and things.

And I seem to not understand the first part of this mod which is:

INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` (`config_name`, `config_value`) VALUES ('live_email_validation', '1');

Does this mean I have to CREATE the live_email_validation or what?
Im so lost in this. :?

Edit; Well I figured that I need to use insert, but do I put in the whole string ('live_email_validation', '1'); into values?

Edit2; I guessed a bit and now I have an error saying:

Code: Select all

Failed to update general configuration for ('live_email_validation', '1');

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'live_email_validation', '1');'' at line 3

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '(''live_email_validation'', ''1'');' WHERE config_name = '('live_email_validation', '1');'

Line : 62
File : admin_board.php

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:28 pm

Use the lev_mod_db_setup.php file. Upload it to your forum root, run it by accessing it with your browser, then delete it. You should see a message indicating successful update of the config table. After this the MOD will be active. 8)
`

Leij

Post by Leij » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Ah! I totaly missed that one! :lol:
Thank you! :D

Edit: Still not working. :( Still have the same error.

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:00 pm

Did the setup script execute successfully or not?
`

Leij

Post by Leij » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:04 pm

It did, but its still displaying the error, and its says that the LEV is on yes, and I cant turn it off.

Edit: I was looking through the lev_mod_db_setup.php and i saw this:

Update is finished. Please be sure to delete this file now
You will find the LEV option in your ACP under `General Admin` ->Configuration
It is enabled by default, disable it if you do NOT want to have any email addresses verified after submission.

But nothing of that was shown, with the succeeded.

valval

Post by valval » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:09 pm

I have a few questions about this mod:

1) does it send an email to the user that is trying to register (ie will he get an test email from lev)? (sorry I'm not very comfortable with smtp works :) - if this is a silly question)

2) what about spam filters? there are users that have webmail addresses, which have put your site on their spam list. will this mod still let them register?

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:39 pm

Hi,

To answer in order :-

1) No, but this is planned for the next upgrade, i.e. user-verification of changed email addresses - enforcing this method on a first registration could possibly conflict with the board's activation settings

2) There are issues with webmail hosts as often they don't allow direct connections on port 25 - in these cases LEV will say 'no route to domain, host unavailable' - so far haven't got a proper workaround for this, as LEV mimics a mail client in order to verify addresses therefore must 'talk' SMTP

Still thinking on it ;)
`

crac

Post by crac » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:02 pm

With the increasing amount of registration bots I hope this excellent mod gets taken into the main phpbb codebase! It was really the only tool that stoped the success of registration bots on my board ... Great work, thx!

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:25 pm

Thank you for such kind words, unfortunately I don't think LEV will become an integral part of phpBB as it can't work successfully on some hosts and with certain email services - my understanding of the phpBB 'mission' is to make it as widely-applicable as possible, and the variability of LEV's success is something that would cause them problems they'd be unable to resolve.

Still, if anyone in the phpBB team is reading this, I'm open to suggestions! :D
`

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”