[2.0.17] Live Email Validate (LEV)

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
66%
Very Good
19%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
9%

Total votes: 32

JBSM

Post by JBSM » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:07 am

Hi JKeats,

is the @side-pot.com a free email address? You may have to change it to one that is not. This is something I have a problem with. I am trying to think of a solution (see other postings from me to developer in this topic).

I assume The LEV tool sends a message to the new users email address which should bounce back and say yes this is fine, but the new users provider has blocked the message being sent as it can not identify your board email address.

Try with a real address for the board and a real address for a new user.

nickt

Post by nickt » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:15 am

Ok, I just installed this MOD, step by step. I have also rechecked the instructions, but no matter what, it dosent even look like its checking the records, its too fast for it.

Debug mode is enabled, and its enabled in the Admin section, and i double checked the DB to make sure it had a value of 1 in the config :P

Any othe rideas?

test : http://new.406oc.co.uk
http://www.nick-web.co.uk

New and improved version coming soon. :D

JKeats

Post by JKeats » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:43 pm

JBSM wrote: Hi JKeats,

is the @side-pot.com a free email address? You may have to change it to one that is not. This is something I have a problem with. I am trying to think of a solution (see other postings from me to developer in this topic).

I assume The LEV tool sends a message to the new users email address which should bounce back and say yes this is fine, but the new users provider has blocked the message being sent as it can not identify your board email address.

Try with a real address for the board and a real address for a new user.

the @side-pot.com is not a free address. it's one of the emails i get as part of my hosting package for my domain. i pay for it. i did however try changing the address associated with both the board and the test user to an @charter.com account (two different ones obviously) and still got the following:
Could not connect to the mail server, see the FAQ page for further info - please note that hotmail accounts are currently not accepted... if you currently have a hotmail account, please consider using a similar alternative such as yahoo or google.
mail.charter.net : no route to this domain, host unavailable

so i'm pretty sure the issue is not associated with the email accounts used. it must be something else. what, though... i'm not sure.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

JKeats

Post by JKeats » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:57 pm

i got it working. it was an SMTP issue i was having with my board that i've since resolved.

i do like your idea below a lot. i eagerly await an update. i'm hesitant to use the mod until then... but this will be awesome once something like what you suggest is implemented.

thanks!
JBSM wrote: So where did we get to.....
Senario.....

Hotmail User comes in today to use LEV, gets rejected.
Not the tools fault but a email provider issue.

:!: First off, who does it reject?
LEV modified to identify providers on a non-relay list (admin can add to list?)

:idea: User is notified that LEV does not support their email provider. Can they use another email address?

:arrow: If Yes.....Takes them back to the Reg form.
:arrow: If No......They are advised that LEV will send a Registration Acknowledgement Email to the address they provided, which they must click the acknowledgement Link (This is currently the process used for boards where admin control access).

:idea: A button added to send an Email from there, to Admin if there is an issue.

You could integrate Pentapenguins Advance IP Tool Pack to pick up the IP address on Registration and send it with the Email, that way you can check who is their ISP which they could have a Email Account with. It would also give an IP history.

:idea: Finally, Error messages for this tool look standard, can we have an LEV FAQ, so that when click the FAQ Link in the Error message we find the correct meaning and whats causing it.

How does that sound :?:

nickt

Post by nickt » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:00 pm

nickt wrote: Ok, I just installed this MOD, step by step. I have also rechecked the instructions, but no matter what, it dosent even look like its checking the records, its too fast for it.

Debug mode is enabled, and its enabled in the Admin section, and i double checked the DB to make sure it had a value of 1 in the config :P

Any othe rideas?

Anyone got any ideas?

Nick
http://www.nick-web.co.uk

New and improved version coming soon. :D

JKeats

Post by JKeats » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:22 pm

nickt wrote:
nickt wrote:Ok, I just installed this MOD, step by step. I have also rechecked the instructions, but no matter what, it dosent even look like its checking the records, its too fast for it.

Any othe rideas?

Anyone got any ideas?

Nick

well... it seems to be well known that it doesn't work with hotmail addresses... have you tried testing it with one? if it doesn't error out on you then you know it's not working. if it does then you know it is and is just working super fast for you.

markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:10 am

Have you guys tried this fix?

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 61#1617761

Wherever I use LEV, I can accept hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc. addresses with no problems.
EasyMOD Standards | MOD Template Actions | MODs in Development Rules
Useful information for MOD Authors | MOD Queue Stats | Search MODs
Write SQL/DDL portable to all SQL servers supported by phpBB!
Get EasyMOD 0.3.0! | Suport al phpBB en Català!
8)

pilch

Post by pilch » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:10 am

I was wondering before I install this if anyone knows or has experienced any issues with installing LEV mod if you already have the Configure Member Profile Required Fields Mod installed aswell.

Thanks in advance.

I eagerly await any reply.

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my lack of response recently, I've had to move all my stuff to another webhost and I'm still getting my php stuff sorted out (several boards, one DB... yeah you work it out :wink: ) plus there's been hassle with the telco... anyway, I'm following closely all the ideas and updates proposed here and am going to see about incorporating some of them in an update. There are one or two other ideas I've got for this too, including remote verification of changed email addies (so when a registered someone *changes* their email addy the LEV tool will send a message containing an 'update link' - failure to use this means the new email address is stored but not used, i.e. it requires 'activation'. This means I can use the standard phpBB features yet add further security to LEV.
First thing is I'm going to follow Markus Petrux's idea re the server-name that LEV sends when opening the mail socket. Let's see if we can improve the hit-rate ;)

pilch - I have no idea what this MOD you mention does, never seen the code so I can't advise you. Try asking its author if he knows. So long as the email address is always a required field (and I can't see why it shouldn't be) then LEV *should* work ok with it ;)
`
"It's not the things you do right that matter, it's the things you don't do wrong"

pilch

Post by pilch » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:37 pm

Wulf_9 wrote: Hi everyone,.....

pilch - I have no idea what this MOD you mention does, never seen the code so I can't advise you. Try asking its author if he knows. So long as the email address is always a required field (and I can't see why it shouldn't be) then LEV *should* work ok with it ;)

hEY THERE wuLF - Fcuk me that was a quick reply!!!

Of course the email field within prof. = always required so I *Should* give it a go then.

Rest assured that if it doesn't work out - I;ll be back :D

pilch

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:34 pm

Version 1.0.1 has been submitted to the MODS database, incorporating Markus_Petrux's suggestion for handling non-RFC-compliant mailservers. Thank you to all the contributors to this topic, I'm working on some more updates but life is busy right now so progress may be slower than I'd like... but I won't be absent for as long as last time ;)
`
"It's not the things you do right that matter, it's the things you don't do wrong"

ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:38 pm

MOD Updated to version 1.0.1
See first post for Download Link

pilch

Post by pilch » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:54 pm

finally installed this puppy this morning.. all seems absolutely fine APART from if you go into config from within the ACP, no actual label appears to identify that the YES + No radio buttons belong to the "LEV" mod.

Code: Select all

<tr>
		<td class="row1">{L_LIVE_EMAIL_VALIDATION_TITLE}</td>
		<td class="row2"><input type="radio" name="live_email_validation" value="1" {LIVE_EMAIL_VALIDATION_YES} /> {L_YES}&nbsp; &nbsp;<input type="radio" name="live_email_validation" value="0" {LIVE_EMAIL_VALIDATION_NO} />{L_NO}</td>
	</tr>
Minor cosmetic issue I know but this was the only thing I coudln't sort out..

Any help would be useful.

Cheers.

Wulf_9

Post by Wulf_9 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:22 pm

Check you've done the $lang file updates in lang_admin.php

$lang['Live_email_validation_title'] = 'Use Live Email Validation';
... and check this line is present in admin_board.php

"L_LIVE_EMAIL_VALIDATION_TITLE" => $lang['Live_email_validation_title'],
Finally check board_config_body.tpl and make sure the extra table headers have been added.

;)
`

pilch

Post by pilch » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:00 pm

Yep, Yep & Yep - all edited, double checked.. honest :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”