[2.0.18] YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
100%
Very Good
No votes
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 5

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.18] YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)
Author: wkitty42
MOD Description: Use your site's domain name in the HELO and/or EHLO sent to your smarthost's SMTP server.

MOD Version: 1.0.2 (Updated 11/28/05)

Download File: YDISHES-1.0.2.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 1218 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This is a simple MOD that uses your server name in the SMTP HELO EHLO Stream rather than the default smtp host setting.
tamcavboy3

Post by tamcavboy3 »

so how does this mod will help the forum ?
»»EDDY««

Post by »»EDDY«« »

It work, nice;)
Make a Tiny URL in excellent domain heh.pl

cooling system & water cooling
wkitty42

Post by wkitty42 »

tamcavboy3 wrote: so how does this mod will help the forum ?

as the description and the topic reviewer state, it puts your site name in the SMTP HELO and EHLO connection messages... how does that help? well, let me quote from one of my past messages in the development area...
wkitty42 wrote: i have to use SMTP for sending out my board's messages... i can use my ISP's SMTP server but i had troubles with the default SMTP code... everything sent ok and there were no errors returned but nothing arrived at the destination... what was happening was that the SMTP server was apparently eating the email... why? i don't know and now, with this mod, i don't care :wink:

anyway, i went digging and employed a TCP/IP snooper and discovered that SMTP.PHP was using the defined SMTP server's name in the HELO and EHLO connect messages sent to the SMTP server... i altered that code to use my site's name and BAM! (apologies to Emeril :wink:) everything started working like a charm...

use it in good health!

so, as you can see, some SMTP servers don't like being connected to with their domain name... this mod uses your domain name for the SMTP connection as should be done by default anyway...

another thing is that the email headers look a lot cleaner, too... this is a good thing when analysing them for spamminess and such... i always question mail that appears to be from my ISP's mail server domain but is flying an IP address in .tw, .jp, .cn, etc... those machines over there have no reason to be flying my ISP's mail server's domain name ;)
Last edited by wkitty42 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

I applied this MOD and I don't see any difference in the full headers of my forum email. Does this only apply if we added SMTP settings in the Configuration section of the ACP instead of relying on the default???

:?:
wkitty42

Post by wkitty42 »

NightriderXP wrote: I applied this MOD and I don't see any difference in the full headers of my forum email. Does this only apply if we added SMTP settings in the Configuration section of the ACP instead of relying on the default???

:?:

yes, this only effects SMTP email...
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Thx. I haven't had a need to assign the SMTP settings yet. Your MOD is applied if/when the need arises...

:lol:
ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Updated to version 1.0.2
See first post for Download Link
sgrayban
Name: Scott

Post by sgrayban »

I wondered why the phpBB team never coded this correctly in the first place. They should have made a default configuration for this in the stmp section for this.

In any case I had fixed mine a long time ago when I noticed this bit of code is incorrect and it DOES violate the sendmail RFC for EHLO.

Of all the coding they do this should have been something that should have been right from the get go.

BTW the correct way to identify the EHLO is your forum's domain address. EG; EHLO forum.domain.com

Heads up phpBB coders THIS SHOULD BE CORRECTED in the phpBB3 versions. Don't break RFC rules please.
Cheers,
Scott

"War is the sum of all evils"
Major Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, US Army 1861
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

It isn't the job of the MOD team... :wink:
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
sgrayban

Post by sgrayban »

I know it isn't the job of the modder's but still. This code error is simply unforgivable. It violates the bloody RFC on SMTP.
Cheers,
Scott

wkitty42

Post by wkitty42 »

sgrayban wrote: I wondered why the phpBB team never coded this correctly in the first place. They should have made a default configuration for this in the stmp section for this.

/me wondered why it was coded that way, too...
sgrayban wrote: In any case I had fixed mine a long time ago when I noticed this bit of code is incorrect and it DOES violate the sendmail RFC for EHLO.

hummm... which bit of code? the phpBB code or this mod??
sgrayban wrote: Of all the coding they do this should have been something that should have been right from the get go.

agreed...
sgrayban wrote: BTW the correct way to identify the EHLO is your forum's domain address. EG; EHLO forum.domain.com

ermm... that is what this mod does, right? :wink:
sgrayban wrote: Heads up phpBB coders THIS SHOULD BE CORRECTED in the phpBB3 versions. Don't break RFC rules please.

agreed!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

- Richard Cook
sgrayban

Post by sgrayban »

The original phpBB2 code.

This mod fixes it. But there should NOT have been a mod needed for this.

This is strickly the developers fault for breaking the RFC on SMTP.
Cheers,
Scott

tgitech

Post by tgitech »

Spent a while trying to figure out why SMTP sends through my host (godaddy ) wouldn't work. Applied this mod and it solved the problem.

Interesting side note -- using the default send method [via PHP send()], several ISPs were marking the activation emails as spam (verizon and others), but when I got the SMTP portion working with this mod, they were not being marked as spam.

So, this mod fixed two problems!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”