[2.0.13] phpBB 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 Code Changes

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
71%
Very Good
11%
Good
9%
Fair
2%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 114

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:29 pm

PK, If you say so. I'll have to take your word for it. While you're stuck installing only a handful of MODs manually for your members, our members are enjoying a great wealth of what is available out there, Thanks to EasyMod...

Perhaps someday, you will shed your inflexibility and anger and actually find out how much better EM is for you and your board members. You can continue to choose to do things the old fashioned and tedious way, or you can learn something and start using EM to install your MODs...

Just because you choose to do things the hard way, don't discourage people from using EM unless you are willing to help them when the time comes. If you continue to suggest that people manually install their code, there is no room for excuses not to help them in every MOD topic in this community, not even a REAL LIFE or school...

I wonder how many of the Poor votes above came from people who tried to apply their code manually? I would bet 100%. Why should this Update be trashed from people who applied the Update incorrectly, then blamed the Update for their problems? That holds true in every MOD and Update...

:lol:

BlueRook

Post by BlueRook » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:28 pm

You are still at it? *shakes head in shame*

This is a support forum. You provide your support and if someone doesn't want to use your method of support then stop helping them. Mention it once but don't berate their choice. The ones that don't know about EasyMOD will learn about it, the ones that know but don't care will still get support from others.

This constant harping on EasyMOD is more of a turn-off to me than any other thing. If I came in here looking for support on a problem then I would just turn away and maybe look elsewhere for support. It isn't worth the hassle to read 2-3 pages of debate of why one method is better or worse than another method (and here I am adding to it -- again).

I am extremely surprised that a mod hasn't came in here and deleted all these posts that have nothing to do (really) with solving a specific user's problems.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:21 pm

BlueRook wrote: This constant harping on EasyMOD is more of a turn-off to me than any other thing. If I came in here looking for support on a problem then I would just turn away and maybe look elsewhere for support. It isn't worth the hassle to read 2-3 pages of debate of why one method is better or worse than another method (and here I am adding to it -- again).

I can't control your emotions. If you don't like the message, don't read it. It's really that simple...

Since you know about EM and have decided not to use it, that is your choice. I doubt that you will be asking for much help if/when you screw up a MOD install simply because you know what you are doing. Most don't though and they are the ones who need to be informed about EasyMod...

These topics are meant for discussions of issues that arise from these MODs, including the installation and complications that might occur. Since EM is an installation tool, it will always be a relevant part of the discussion since it can help simplify the installation process. That applies to all MODs and Updates in this community. EM is never off-topic. If it bothers you, simply skip over it when it is mentioned...

This debate could have ended 3 pages ago after I successfully helped someone to resolve their self-inflicted problem. Three of you decided to make this a bigger issue than it was, so now we have 3 pages discussing the positives and negatives of applying the code both manually and with EM. All three of you could have ended this, but you all chose to promote your own way of installing the code...

My message will never change, so you should either learn to deal with it or simply ignore my posts. While you are ignoring them, many are learning about EM for the first time and choosing to install and use it. with great success I might add. The whole community benefits when people are able to quickly and accurately install each MOD from this community to their boards...

Cheers!!!

BlueRook

Post by BlueRook » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:11 pm

Actually, I think you need to reread the posting guidelines. This ... discussion .. is beyond that. The last time this discussion happened, or something very much like it, you were told to cool your heels a bit. It distracts completely from the problem at hand -- evangelizing EM in a topic about upgrading your board.

But you know what? Maybe your right. Go ahead and keep spamming this and other topics. I don't mind if when someone asks for help you suggest EasyMOD. What gets to me is that you keep on ... over ... and over ... and over. Once is quite enough for each person that asks for help. If they refuse to use EasyMOD it isn't your place to push them into trying it. Once is enough, really.

The last few pages of this topic haven't really been about supporting the Upgrade MOD. It has been you and a few others (including myself) talking about this.

This whole thing has gone on too long. We have heard your point. Others have heard your point. Really if you want to discuss the merits of EasyMOD then do it elsewhere and leave the discussion of errors with this MOD here. Heck, point to a good discussion of your arguments since you have repeated yourself on a number of different topics about upgrades when people haven't used the program. Often, many times. Often you have went into a flurry of posting defending your position.

This post is off topic, about all the posts in the last few pages are off topic, and your posting about EasyMOD after the first time is off topic (first time for each unique problem).

But, yeah it is your choice. But until phpBB has an ignore function (which it won't get) don't think that people can just ignore your post. I'm not going to propose a solution that already exists -- unless it is posted while I'm posting and that is just bad timing. So I need to read what is posted, or most of it. To off SUPPORT and not badger someone into using only a certain method which they may or may not want to use.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:29 am

This would have ended just before you decided to add your 2¢ worth. This was my final statement to lunara after I successfully helped him fix a self-inflicted problem:

I hope you much success in the future...

It could have ended right there with a positive outcome. But apparently some don't like happy endings. So the badgering began and continues. What do you actually get out of this BlueRook???
BlueRook wrote: This whole thing has gone on too long.

Why do you continue to contribute to this discussion if you feel that way? My message won't stop and you know it. So what are you getting out of this discussion? If you are truly concerned about the length of this discussion, you have the power to quit contributing to it...
BlueRook wrote: But, yeah it is your choice. But until phpBB has an ignore function (which it won't get) don't think that people can just ignore your post.

You have the power over your own actions. If you truly want to ignore someone, you don't need an ignore function. It's really not that difficult to ignore someone if they truly annoy you...

Cheers!!!

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:43 am

Do you have to have the last word ? I have been sitting back, reading the topic hopeing for a final reply from you, and the only thing that comes to mind is, you want to have the last word. I have let the subject go, I informed a MOD to look here and do some clean up. You keep on claiming that we have a choice to end it. Well guess what, you too have that choice.

Practice what you preach bud. Don't be a hipocrit.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:55 am

phantomk wrote: I have been sitting back, reading the topic hopeing for a final reply from you, and the only thing that comes to mind is, you want to have the last word. I have let the subject go,

That's too funny, PK. So far after telling you to stop harrassing me, I've received two harrassing PMs from you, plus you chose to start harrassing me on my own board. I hardly consider that letting the subject go. Perhaps your definition of "letting it go" is very different from mine...
phantomk wrote: You keep on claiming that we have a choice to end it.

LOL You are too funny, PK. I am not the one who has a problem with the discussion. 3 of you have stated that the discussion is unnecessary, but three of you continued contributing to it. I don't have a problem discussing how EasyMod can help people to quickly and accurately install their MODs. I am not the one complaining about the discussion. So you would think that those who feel that this discussion is unnecessary would be the first ones to quit contributing to it. Yet you continue. That tells me that this discussion doesn't bother you nearly as much as you claim...

[OT]

FYI: Redirection Suite is a very good MOD. Even though you don't like me, you might want to try it...

[/OT]

Cheers!!!

BlueRook

Post by BlueRook » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:09 pm

NightriderXP wrote: 3 of you have stated that the discussion is unnecessary, but three of you continued contributing to it.

And that doesn't tell you something? I'm out of here now, have fun alienating people.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:40 pm

Yes, it told me that this discussion didn't bother you nearly as much as you claim or you would have quit contributing to it a long time ago. Since you chose to contribute to the badgering for 4 pages, I believe that you actually enjoyed this. Maybe next time, you will allow the discussion to end with a Happy Ending like it could have in this topic 4 pages ago...

Cheers!!!

en_shua

Post by en_shua » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:46 pm

I don't see any real database changes in the update_to_latest.php file. Can I just skip it an manually increment the version number?

Thanks.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:14 am

Why update the version manually when you can just run the update_to_latest.php file and let it do all the necessary changes for you? Why make it harder than it needs to be???

sciguy

Post by sciguy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:06 pm

Somebody help

I tried to update, and everything got messed up. I was able to fix most of it by restoring most of the old files, But how can I undo the Install SQL action?

I am getting the following error message:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/montage/public_html/games/forum/viewtopic.php on line 1

What do I have to change back in the SQL?
UltimateComputers.net
^A website and forum for computer building enthusiasts and newbs!^

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:43 am

Can you provide a text link for your viewtopic.php file? This is not a SQL problem...

Please don't paste your code here. Just provide a text link to the file that has the problem from your site. We cannot view php files, so you need to create a duplicate of viewtopic.php and add a txt extension to it; i.e. viewtopic.php.txt....

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:01 pm

NightriderXP, the error message sciguy is asking about reports the problem is in line 1...wouldn't that mean that he could post the first, say, 10 lines of his code and we should be able to figure out what is going on?

sciguy, are there any skipped lines before the script starts? I don't think that would trigger the error message you have posted, but check anyway since the first line of any php script should read:

Code: Select all

<?php
without any skipped lines or spaces (or characters of any kind) before it

and of course the last one should read:

Code: Select all

?>
without any skipped lines or spaces (or characters of any kind) after it

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:51 pm

Actually the problem with posting code directly here is that it is unnecessary to clutter the discussion AND that many times, people unintentionally leave out the problem. If there is a space on the first line before the <?php, they may simply post with the <?php part on. So what we do is spend time looking for a bug that has been left out of the picture...

Post a link to the actual file so that we can see the whole picture while it doesn't clutter these topics for no good reason...

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”