[Tool] phpBB 2.0.14 to 2.0.15 Code Changes

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
10%
Good
9%
Fair
5%
Poor
13%

Total votes: 153

Shanana

Post by Shanana »

There does seem to be too many upgrades, but with all the cool features PHPBB comes with, I'm not moving.

I guess it is kind of a put off that there's another upgrade not even a while after 2.0.14.
Last edited by Shanana on Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
CyanBlue

Post by CyanBlue »

chromenut wrote: No offense to anyone here, but after this hubbub, I think it's time for me to move to SMF and stop all this silliness with phpBB... too darn much maintenance... :cry:

What maintenance do you need??? I don't understand... I'd rather have a software that gives me a choice to upgrade rather than the one that does not...
Shanana

Post by Shanana »

I think the person just means that there is always another upgrade, one after the other & that some other forums don't need to do that.
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

There is no requirement for anyone to update. If you are happy with your board the way it is, don't change it. The nice thing about phpBB and Open Source is that it evolves QUICKLY and never grows stale...

Companies like M$ take years to roll out their software, which is mainly security patches and updates. They charge their customers for the privilege to patch their systems, and those patches always come with a whole new set of security flaws, stability problems, and spaghetti code...

PhpBB is evolving rapidly and there have been and continue to be a great many features contributed by talented developers from all over the world. For their hard work, time, and knowledge, they charge nothing. Of course at any point in the evolution, if you are happy with what you have, why bother updating? The option will be there for those who want to stay on the leading edge. For all others, I can't think of any compelling reason to update if you don't really want to...

Whether you choose to allow your board to evolve or are content to leave things just the way they are, it is nice to know that we are using a great and well-written application, and it costs us absolutely nothing...

:lol:
chromenut

Post by chromenut »

NightriderXP wrote: Whether you choose to allow your board to evolve or are content to leave things just the way they are, it is nice to know that we are using a great and well-written application, and it costs us absolutely nothing...

Got complete respect for the developers out there with maybe the exception of one foul mouthed, foul humored person who's posts to me should be moderated more closely, and that's a part of why I want to switch packages. phpBB is great, if you have the time to constantly maintain it. Each successive "upgrade" carries with it a successive set of bugs as evidenced here in all these posts.

Again, nothing but respect for the development community, I just find phpBB a pain to maintain. If you aren't always watching for the next best thing, and are satisfied with what you got, good for you, but I'm always watching for the next best thing and the effort to modify and maintain phpBB is no longer the next best thing. Sorry if that bothers some of you, but the fact is I found something slicker and easier, but it has less bells and whistles. But, with what I've learned here, I can implement the bells and whistles that I want in the new stuff and possibly be part of their development community.

:D Wrong place for this post, but I wish you all health, happiness, and success with your own choices!!
iamelton

Post by iamelton »

chromenut wrote: :D Wrong place for this post, but I wish you all health, happiness, and success with your own choices!!

sure no problem..
the sayings are mutual.. :wink:
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

chromenut wrote: phpBB is great, if you have the time to constantly maintain it. Each successive "upgrade" carries with it a successive set of bugs as evidenced here in all these posts.

There is little maintenance with phpBB unless you choose to put some effort into staying on the leading edge. There are a lot of MODs for phpBB that you can add if you choose. But you don't have to add anything either...

The standard phpBB package straight out of the box works great without doing a thing. You can install 2.0.15 on your board and not touch it until version 3.0.0 is released. Then you can overwrite the 2.0.15 files with the 3.0.0 files and do nothing more than wait for 4.0.0, etc. You can do the same thing with just about any other program too. The difference here is that you can also keep up with the evolution as it takes place if you want. You can choose to maintain this as much or as little as you want....

IF you read through these threads, most of the problems were caused by human error when they manually apply their code. They have been told on numerous occasions that they could use EasyMOD, but many prefer to apply their code manually. It's too bad that they come running here to try to get other people to solve the mistakes that they make though. I guess that's all part of the game. It's unfortunate that some use their mistakes against phpBB even though most of the updates are not to blame for any of the errors reported here...

In a perfect world, everyone would do everything perfectly and there would never be any problems. But we are all humans and we all make mistakes. So there will never be a perfect world. You might find that the attitudes that bother you will show up no matter where you go. If you only have a problem with one person here, then that's not to bad for a community of this size. I imagine that you would be lucky to find another that is any better overall...

I hope your choices lead you to Nirvana. Live long and prosper and may the force be with you...

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

Complaining about optional upgrades is like complaining about getting tune-ups for your car. If you don't like the tune-ups, lose the car and take the bus or let your engine turn to crap. If you don't want to upgrade your phpbb, use a lesser quality board or just don't upgrade and take a chance at getting |-|4x0r3d.

geez
chromenut

Post by chromenut »

Slam my comments all you want, but upgrading phpBB is like getting a Microsoft upgrade - that is the main board upgrades fine, but past upgrades no longer work. And don't harp on the old "human error" crap, this was all done through the 'mighty and miraculous' EasyMod, so no human errors there.

Why continue upgrading if everytime you upgrade your old stuff no longer works? Go to XP, but those printer drivers no longer function, oh and we don't support that old printer you have... that's the feel here and if you don't get that in reading through 28+ pages of this harping on the upgrade, then you're not connected to the same planet I'm on.

Again, no offense intended, but the amount of work required on highly modded boards with this "upgrade" was too much and pushed me over the top. I'm sure you'll be glad I'm gone...
Shanana

Post by Shanana »

I don't see why anyone wouldn't upgrade though. Why would someone stay on 2.0.13 when there are bugs in it?
CyanBlue

Post by CyanBlue »

Shanana wrote: I don't see why anyone wouldn't upgrade though. Why would someone stay on 2.0.13 when there are bugs in it?

Four reasons I can think of...

#1. They are too lazy to update...
#2. They are not capable of update because somebody else have done the job for them...
#3. They have too much of other works to do...
#4. They did not know if the new update is available...

:)
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Shanana wrote: I don't see why anyone wouldn't upgrade though. Why would someone stay on 2.0.13 when there are bugs in it?

Most of the "bugs" being fixed are minor and are only being fixed when they are discovered by careful examination of the code and attempts to constantly inprove the environment to make it bullet proof. I highly doubt that most phpBB admins would ever have to worry about some of the issues that have been corrected...

If you have been using EasyMOD to install ALL of your MODs and upgrades, the whole process is completely painless. I have a HEAVILY MODDed board yet I almost never have any problems installing these things. By using EM to install ALL of my MODs, I took the human error factor out of the equation. Of course it is possible that there are errors in some of the MODs. But with EM, if a serious problem arises, you can quickly roll back the changes. It is likely that if there is a serious problem with a MOD or upgrade, everyone else will have problems with it too...

So if you are using EM to install ALL of your MODs, the whole process of upgrading and adding functionality is totally painless while taking very little of your time. With the ease of installation and the quality of the upgrades, it really doesn't make sense not to upgrade. But there is never a requirement to do so unless your host requires it...

MaddoxX

Post by MaddoxX »

Funny ;( My admin page is blank (It was working before) and I didn't change anything :| :?
:D
ABXGuy

Post by ABXGuy »

I appreciate any help provided by the experts here, my situation is as follows.

I upgraded from .14 to .15 by manually editing the code because I have a fairly heavy modded board. I have successfully upgraded several times before with out any trouble being vary careful to follow the instructions meticulously.

I now receive the following error when attempting to view a user's profile:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ')' in /home/nmggeo2/public_html/geobb/includes/usercp_viewprofile.php on line 183

The only change I made to the usercp_viewprofile.php was what instructed to do, i.e.
#-----[ OPEN ]---------------------------------------------
#
includes/usercp_viewprofile.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]---------------------------------------------
# Line 36
}
$profiledata = get_userdata($HTTP_GET_VARS[POST_USERS_URL]);

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]---------------------------------------------
#
if (!$profiledata)
{
message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $lang['No_user_id_specified']);
}

I replaced the modded file with the original and viewing a profile works, I've tried the mod again making sure I edited exactly and I continue to get the error.

Current code for lines 171 through 184 look like:
//
// Generate page
//
$page_title = $lang['Viewing_profile'];
include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/page_header.'.$phpEx);

if (function_exists('get_html_translation_table'))
{
$u_search_author = urlencode(strtr($profiledata['username'], array_flip(get_html_translation_table(HTML_ENTITIES))));
}
else
{
$u_search_author = urlencode(str_replace(array('&', ''', '"', '<', '>'), array('&', "'", '"', '<', '>'), $profiledata['username']));
}

Any help?
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

ABXGuy wrote: I upgraded from .14 to .15 by manually editing the code because I have a fairly heavy modded board. I have successfully upgraded several times before with out any trouble being vary careful to follow the instructions meticulously.

Guess what? You made a mistake. I'm still baffled why we keep hearing the comment from people who apply their code "manually" because their board is heavily modded...

Please go to my board through my Image and try to tell me that my board IS NOT heavily modded. Then if you can't do that, explain to me why I have no problems using EasyMOD but you can't even attempt to use it anymore because your board is too heavily modded...
ABXGuy wrote: I now receive the following error when attempting to view a user's profile:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ')' in /home/nmggeo2/public_html/geobb/includes/usercp_viewprofile.php on line 183

Parse errors imply that you are missing something. I imagine that you forgot to include a "{" or "}" when applying the code to your usercp_viewprofile.php file. If you didn't make the mistake there, it could be in any of the other modified files but is being reported here...

If you restore your backups and reapply the update using EasyMOD, I would bet you the ranch that you won't have this problem again...

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”