[Tool] phpBB 2.0.14 to 2.0.15 Code Changes

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
63%
Very Good
10%
Good
9%
Fair
5%
Poor
13%

Total votes: 153

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Tue May 31, 2005 6:29 am

egypttpyge wrote: I am right now trying to add the Categories hierarchy Mod using EasyMod and so far it's been NightmareMod

If you add CH to your board, you may as well write off adding a majority of all the other MODs available out there. EM can't rename most of the standard phpBB files like CH tells you to do. Perhaps EM is doing you a favor by making you think twice before installing CH...

As far as not being able to use EM for heavily modded boards, please take a look at my board and you should quickly see that it is heavily modded. Yet I have installed all of my mods using EM...

It sounds like you tried to use EM the hard way. Instead of making your board files fit the MOD script so that EM can run, you change the MOD script to match your board. EM doesn't require entire lines of code to find a match either. There are a great many tricks that you could learn. If you used EM enough to get to know it, you would quickly realize that it could make your life far easier when applying these MODs and it can do it much faster than you can apply them manually...

If you have a board with more than one template, like I do, you will quickly find that EM can modify all of your template files at once even though the script mentions to only modify subSilver. I have 12 templates on my board so that comes in very handy...

The FIND only needs to find a small fraction of the line to know where to start. If your template uses different classes, some MODs struggle because they specify too much information to find such as a class designation, or differences in spacing, quotes, etc. To get around that, you alter the script to search for the smallest piece of the line that is unique in the file. For example, suppose the MOD said to search for the following line:

Code: Select all

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
  <tr> 
	<td class="row1" align="left"><span class="gensmall">{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE} &nbsp; [ {L_WHOSONLINE_ADMIN} ] &nbsp; [ {L_WHOSONLINE_MOD} ]<br />{RECORD_USERS}<br />{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}</span></td>
  </tr>
That FIND might only work in one of my 12 templates. I could alter the script to read the following so that it would have a far higher probability of working in all of my templates. EM will have no trouble finding my modification below even though I only supplied part of the second line from the original FIND:

Code: Select all

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
  <tr> 
{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE}
  </tr>
I can scan through just about any MOD script and find and make quick changes like this before I even try to run the file through EM. It only takes a matter of minutes to clean up the MOD script so that it runs on the first or second try. That also gives me the opportunity to find and read author's notes that may have to be performed manually...

EM really isn't lacking that much considering what you are asking it to do. Usually many users lack the knowledge of how to most effectively use it though and they give up on EM before they ever get the chance to see how much it can actually help them. EM creates both processed and backup folders. If a MOD really hoses your board, you can quickly restore the backup files and have your board back to normal in nothing flat...

EM also maintains a running History so that you will always know the order in which your MODs were installed. This can help if you ever have to roll back a whole series of modifications in order to find a strange problem. If you have a lot of MODs installed on your board, it is far better to use EM than to apply the changes manually. Without the History and the separate backup and processed folders, most admins would find it much more difficult to isolate any weird problems when they don't know which MOD might have caused it. Unless you are a php developer, you might be screwed and forced to start all over again. That wouldn't be such a problem on a lightly modified board...

:lol:

guylon

Post by guylon » Tue May 31, 2005 1:34 pm

NightriderXP wrote:
egypttpyge wrote:Image

So what are you showing us if this isn't the login to reauthenticate yourself as the admin of your board? It appears that you are getting it unless you are showing us the login from someone else's board. What does _Rhizky_ mean???

I think I've clearly written "How come one of my user's name "_Rhizky_" replace the "Username"?" ... unless you prefer to laugh at this. The normal login page is fine with "Username", only when I re-authenticate myself, it changes into, well, my user's name.

egypttpyge

Post by egypttpyge » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:21 am

NightriderXP wrote: EM also maintains a running History so that you will always know the order in which your MODs were installed. This can help if you ever have to roll back a whole series of modifications in order to find a strange problem. If you have a lot of MODs installed on your board, it is far better to use EM than to apply the changes manually. Without the History and the separate backup and processed folders, most admins would find it much more difficult to isolate any weird problems when they don't know which MOD might have caused it. Unless you are a php developer, you might be screwed and forced to start all over again. That wouldn't be such a problem on a lightly modified board...

Thanks for a comrehensive reply. I appreciate your input and I took some of your advice and unforutnately for you I now have more questions to ask you :D but I will do that in a PM

Many Thanks

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:12 am

egypttpyge wrote: Thanks for a comrehensive reply. I appreciate your input and I took some of your advice and unforutnately for you I now have more questions to ask you :D but I will do that in a PM

I am more than happy to help you if I can, egypttpyge. Feel free to contact me through PM...

Gothic_frc

Post by Gothic_frc » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:33 am

I have a problem after the upadate from 2.0.14 to 2.0.15.
Actually the updated forum was working fine for about a month but the last few days i noticed that at the bottom of the index page which must say the version of the phpbb,now says :

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
trevorj :: theme by ~// TreVoR \\~

Also in the control panel says :

Powered by phpBB 2.0.15 © 2001 phpBB Group

Looks like it is working like 2.0.15,i must re-authenticate my self to go to the control panel,i didn't notice any problem but...these changes...why?

I must tell you that from the day i updated (and the update installed correctly) I DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
Nothing at all !

Can you help me please?

P.S. The link to my forum is:

http://mystica.gr/forum/index.php

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:51 pm

Gothic_frc wrote: I have a problem after the upadate from 2.0.14 to 2.0.15.
Actually the updated forum was working fine for about a month but the last few days i noticed that at the bottom of the index page which must say the version of the phpbb,now says :