Clone posts

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
8
62%
Very Good
4
31%
Good
1
8%
Fair
0
No votes
Poor
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 13

JonBeluga
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Clone posts

Post by JonBeluga » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:42 pm

yes ... can someone see if this works on phpbb3 !!!

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Re: Clone posts

Post by asinshesq » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:57 pm

JonBeluga wrote:yes ... can someone see if this works on phpbb3 !!!
No phpbb2 mod works on phpbb3. And I have no plans to make a phpbb3 version of this mod. However, phpbb3 does have a built in fucntion that allows the moderator to copy a topic into another forum. That's not exactly the same thing but it's useful.

If you want something like this for phpbb3, you'll either need to code it yourself or ask for someone else to do it in the mod requests section.

JonBeluga
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Clone posts

Post by JonBeluga » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm

hey i appreciate the quick reply. i have never created a phpbb mod but am pretty good w/HTML, PHP and queries. let's just say i'm a novice ... how long would you think it'll take to re-create what you did but for version 3? i ask only b/c i think it's a great mod and is of value.

thanks again!

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Re: Clone posts

Post by asinshesq » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:29 pm

JonBeluga wrote:hey i appreciate the quick reply. i have never created a phpbb mod but am pretty good w/HTML, PHP and queries. let's just say i'm a novice ... how long would you think it'll take to re-create what you did but for version 3? i ask only b/c i think it's a great mod and is of value.

thanks again!
If you know your way around php it shouldn't be too hard.

The way I did the phpbb2 version was to trick posting.php by treating a clone as an edit (so that the regular posting.php code pulls up the old post and puts it into an edit box) and then just before the part of posting.php where the post gets submitted I switch the mode to new post so that posting.php submits it for me. There are some complications in dealing with existing polls, surveys and attachments though.

If you don't know anything about how phpbb3 is coded, you'll spin wheels a bit figuring that out but a lot is easy to follow just by looking at it.

I'm guessing it would take maybe 20 hours for a novice?

JonBeluga
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Clone posts

Post by JonBeluga » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:07 pm

asinshesq wrote:
JonBeluga wrote:hey i appreciate the quick reply. i have never created a phpbb mod but am pretty good w/HTML, PHP and queries. let's just say i'm a novice ... how long would you think it'll take to re-create what you did but for version 3? i ask only b/c i think it's a great mod and is of value.

thanks again!
If you know your way around php it shouldn't be too hard.

The way I did the phpbb2 version was to trick posting.php by treating a clone as an edit (so that the regular posting.php code pulls up the old post and puts it into an edit box) and then just before the part of posting.php where the post gets submitted I switch the mode to new post so that posting.php submits it for me. There are some complications in dealing with existing polls, surveys and attachments though.

If you don't know anything about how phpbb3 is coded, you'll spin wheels a bit figuring that out but a lot is easy to follow just by looking at it.

I'm guessing it would take maybe 20 hours for a novice?
haha, i will give it 5 hours and no more. thanks again.

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Re: Clone posts

Post by asinshesq » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:28 pm

JonBeluga wrote:
asinshesq wrote:
JonBeluga wrote:hey i appreciate the quick reply. i have never created a phpbb mod but am pretty good w/HTML, PHP and queries. let's just say i'm a novice ... how long would you think it'll take to re-create what you did but for version 3? i ask only b/c i think it's a great mod and is of value.

thanks again!
If you know your way around php it shouldn't be too hard.

The way I did the phpbb2 version was to trick posting.php by treating a clone as an edit (so that the regular posting.php code pulls up the old post and puts it into an edit box) and then just before the part of posting.php where the post gets submitted I switch the mode to new post so that posting.php submits it for me. There are some complications in dealing with existing polls, surveys and attachments though.

If you don't know anything about how phpbb3 is coded, you'll spin wheels a bit figuring that out but a lot is easy to follow just by looking at it.

I'm guessing it would take maybe 20 hours for a novice?
haha, i will give it 5 hours and no more. thanks again.
Jon, did you get anywhere with this? Just curious...

JonBeluga
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Clone posts

Post by JonBeluga » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:37 pm

asinshesq wrote:
JonBeluga wrote:
asinshesq wrote:
JonBeluga wrote:hey i appreciate the quick reply. i have never created a phpbb mod but am pretty good w/HTML, PHP and queries. let's just say i'm a novice ... how long would you think it'll take to re-create what you did but for version 3? i ask only b/c i think it's a great mod and is of value.

thanks again!
If you know your way around php it shouldn't be too hard.

The way I did the phpbb2 version was to trick posting.php by treating a clone as an edit (so that the regular posting.php code pulls up the old post and puts it into an edit box) and then just before the part of posting.php where the post gets submitted I switch the mode to new post so that posting.php submits it for me. There are some complications in dealing with existing polls, surveys and attachments though.

If you don't know anything about how phpbb3 is coded, you'll spin wheels a bit figuring that out but a lot is easy to follow just by looking at it.

I'm guessing it would take maybe 20 hours for a novice?
haha, i will give it 5 hours and no more. thanks again.
Jon, did you get anywhere with this? Just curious...
no not yet. i got sidetracked with other mods for phpbb and haven't had a chance to get back to this .. but i'm sure in time i will. regardless .... i'll let the board know if i ever complete this task or blow up my forum trying to mod it. hehe

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Re: Clone posts

Post by asinshesq » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:48 pm

This weekend I went ahead and wrote a clone posts version for phpbb3. The beta can be found here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1416375

I plan to submit this for validation but I'll wait for about a week in case anybody finds any bugs.

Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests