Clone posts

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
8
62%
Very Good
4
31%
Good
1
8%
Fair
0
No votes
Poor
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 13

krisbfunk
Registered User
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:47 am

Post by krisbfunk » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:14 pm

I realize it's possible to clone posts in the name of the original poster..

but is it possible for an admin feature (like in your tabulated survey mod) to clone posts in the name of another user?

User avatar
somsuj
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:49 pm

Post by somsuj » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:03 pm

Wonderful - did very well with EASYMOD.

User avatar
somsuj
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:49 pm

Post by somsuj » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:13 am

Now - can anyone suggest, how can anyone uninstall this MOD ?

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:33 pm

somsuj wrote: Now - can anyone suggest, how can anyone uninstall this MOD ?


Go back to your backups. If you didn't make backups, you can try to use the backups that easymod made. Or, you can just follow the mod script step by step in reverse...there are only 16 changes this mod makes to phpbb so you can reverse those changes.

Why did you decide to uninstall it?

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:36 pm

krisbfunk wrote: I realize it's possible to clone posts in the name of the original poster..

but is it possible for an admin feature (like in your tabulated survey mod) to clone posts in the name of another user?


That wouldn't be that hard to do, but since I don't need that feature I don't plan to do it myself. If you know a bit about php and want to take a crack at it, feel free to ask me questions offline via pm about how to approach it...you should be able to borrow a lot of the code from my tabulated survey mod like you mentioned.

krisbfunk
Registered User
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:47 am

Post by krisbfunk » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:30 pm

asinshesq wrote:
krisbfunk wrote:I realize it's possible to clone posts in the name of the original poster..

but is it possible for an admin feature (like in your tabulated survey mod) to clone posts in the name of another user?


That wouldn't be that hard to do, but since I don't need that feature I don't plan to do it myself. If you know a bit about php and want to take a crack at it, feel free to ask me questions offline via pm about how to approach it...you should be able to borrow a lot of the code from my tabulated survey mod like you mentioned.


ok cool, i'll do that and PM you on questions. appreciate it.

User avatar
somsuj
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:49 pm

Post by somsuj » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:40 pm

asinshesq wrote:
somsuj wrote:Now - can anyone suggest, how can anyone uninstall this MOD ?


Go back to your backups. If you didn't make backups, you can try to use the backups that easymod made. Or, you can just follow the mod script step by step in reverse...there are only 16 changes this mod makes to phpbb so you can reverse those changes.

Why did you decide to uninstall it?


Thanks - My partner did it manually.

The reason is rather vague - after installing this and three other MODs - suddenly one fine day, our forum went down. We investigated and found that the file index.php was "corrupt"
Few days after we found that another file, groupcp.php was missing too.

Strange happenings! And we do not know how this happened. We decided to change all forum and other passwords and uninstall all 4 MODs that I installed . . . let us see now.

This MOD was doing fine - as far as we know . .

User avatar
tarotamerica
Registered User
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:30 am
Contact:

Post by tarotamerica » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:10 pm

Excellent mod!

This incidentally was the whole reason I switched over to phpBB.

User avatar
stevemagruder
Registered User
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:05 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: [2.0.21] Clone posts

Post by stevemagruder » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:41 am

I'm unable to download the mod at this time (as I'm sure all mods can't be downloaded now), but I have a question about its capabilities.

I would like to be able to not only clone a post to start a new topic, but also clone a post within a topic. For example, whenever I complete a new version (e.g., 1.1.21) of my board, I have a particular format for the changes for that version that I list in the topic. But sometimes, I have sub-versions (e.g., 1.1.21a) that I would like to show in replies to that topic. But today I have to copy the format of the first topic, or retype it out, before adding in the specific changes for that sub-version. It would be much easier if I could clone the first post, immediately go into edit mode, then when I save it, it saves as a reply to the post I cloned. Is this possible with the current mod?

Also, does anyone know where I can go to download this mod?

Thanks!
Steve Magruder - WebCommons :: Media
Administrator for the Louisville History & Issues discussion board

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Re: [2.0.21] Clone posts

Post by asinshesq » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:52 am

stevemagruder wrote: I'm unable to download the mod at this time (as I'm sure all mods can't be downloaded now)


If you read teh 'IMPORTANT' sticky that appears in the pink area at the top of the page, you will see how to get the file now. In short, try this: http://www.phpbb.com/files/mods/clone_posts_1-0-5a.zip
I would like to be able to not only clone a post to start a new topic, but also clone a post within a topic. For example, whenever I complete a new version (e.g., 1.1.21) of my board, I have a particular format for the changes for that version that I list in the topic. But sometimes, I have sub-versions (e.g., 1.1.21a) that I would like to show in replies to that topic. But today I have to copy the format of the first topic, or retype it out, before adding in the specific changes for that sub-version. It would be much easier if I could clone the first post, immediately go into edit mode, then when I save it, it saves as a reply to the post I cloned. Is this possible with the current mod?

No, this only clones posts into new topics, since the real purpose is to allow you to clone complex posts with surveys in them which are much harder to copy than merely copying the text. Sounds like you could do what you want by clicking the edit button, copying the text, clicking reply and then clicking paste.

It would not be that hard to add a new option to this mod that would allow you to choose to clone into a reply rather than a new topic, but I don't need that functionality on my board so I don't anticipate doing that myself. If you know your way around php you could do it yourself, though.

User avatar
stevemagruder
Registered User
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:05 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: [2.0.21] Clone posts

Post by stevemagruder » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:33 am

asinshesq wrote: If you read teh 'IMPORTANT' sticky that appears in the pink area at the top of the page, you will see how to get the file now. In short, try this: http://www.phpbb.com/files/mods/clone_posts_1-0-5a.zip


Thanks! For some reason, I'm having trouble focusing on this newly styled phpBB. The "IMPORTANT" text doesn't really stand out for me.
asinshesq wrote: No, this only clones posts into new topics, since the real purpose is to allow you to clone complex posts with surveys in them which are much harder to copy than merely copying the text. Sounds like you could do what you want by clicking the edit button, copying the text, clicking reply and then clicking paste.


I already go through those steps as it is, but the functionality I'm seeking would do the edit, copy, reply and paste steps in one click. I imagine it could work a lot like how the "Quote" button currently does, but without placing the text into quotes.
asinshesq wrote: It would not be that hard to add a new option to this mod that would allow you to choose to clone into a reply rather than a new topic, but I don't need that functionality on my board so I don't anticipate doing that myself. If you know your way around php you could do it yourself, though.


After talking it out, I think I will roll this myself (as "Copy into reply") or just use the quote button for this purpose. But I may also install this mod at some point, as I will also want to copy complex topic posts (like with a poll) into new topics . Thanks!
Steve Magruder - WebCommons :: Media
Administrator for the Louisville History & Issues discussion board

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Re: [2.0.21] Clone posts

Post by asinshesq » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:40 am

stevemagruder wrote: For some reason, I'm having trouble focusing on this newly styled phpBB. The "IMPORTANT" text doesn't really stand out for me.

I agree that the stickies get lost in that pink area (looks like boilerplate fineprint rather than something we should actually be reading).
stevemagruder wrote: I imagine it could work a lot like how the "Quote" button currently does, but without placing the text into quotes...After talking it out, I think I will roll this myself (as "Copy into reply") or just use the quote button for this purpose.

That's a better way to approach this anyway if you were to want to code this option. It would be pretty easy to add a 'copy' button next to the quote button and have posting.php treat 'copy' mode as though it is a quote up to the part where it has already fetched the text, then get rid of the quote tag and, at the end, reset the mode to reply.

User avatar
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 24598
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: The netherlands.
Name: Paul Sohier
Contact:

Clone posts

Post by Paul » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:28 am

MOD Updated to version 1.0.6
See first post for Download Link
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 6266
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: NYC
Name: Alan

Re: Clone posts

Post by asinshesq » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:18 am

paul999 wrote:MOD Updated to version 1.0.6
See first post for Download Link
Thanks. Here's the changelog:

Code: Select all

##   2006-12-27	- Version 1.0.6
##		  no change in functionality, but made changes so that the mod will install on phpbb2.0.22 (no change needed
##		  if you already are running this mod and then upgrade to phpbb2.0.22)

globetrotting
Registered User
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:14 pm
Location: globetrotting
Contact:

Re: Clone posts

Post by globetrotting » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi,

we used a variation of this mod for years in our phpBB2 board.
Is there any chance that a clone post-MOD will be migrated to phpBB3? - It's a function I really miss on the new board.
Thx for help! :)
www.worldtrip.de

Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests