keep unread flags

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
75%
Very Good
17%
Good
4%
Fair
No votes
Poor
4%

Total votes: 96

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

j45on wrote: Hi, I have come across this Mod and requires a few clarification to see if it is to my expectation. Currently, my forum will lost track of latest unread post the moment I close my IE.

My question is, does this Mod still keep tab of unread posts even though you have closed your IE with some posts unread?

Yes, that's exactly what this mod does.
Merlin Sythove

Post by Merlin Sythove »

Should we add a quick summary of features to the first post of this topic? I hadn't noticed the oversight before but I HAVE noticed it with many mods, no description of the exact features, often not even in the mod file itself.
Need custom work done? Pimp My Forum!
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Merlin Sythove wrote: Should we add a quick summary of features to the first post of this topic? I hadn't noticed the oversight before but I HAVE noticed it with many mods, no description of the exact features, often not even in the mod file itself.

I'm not following you. You and I have no control over the first two posts of the topic since they are made by the person validating the mod, but the first post already says this:
MOD Database Manager wrote: ...MOD Description: This mod keeps the unread flags for a topic active until the topic is read. It also activates the new post feature for guests...

And my first post (which is the third post in the topic) goes on to say this:
asinshesq wrote: ...Here are the changes as quoted from the mod description:
## The following are new features as a result of Merlin's upgrade in May 2005:
##
## 1. The upgrade solves the bugs that sometimes gave a user an unread flag on
## his or her own posts, sometimes gave a user an unread flag on other posts that
## he or she had already read and sometimes caused a user to lose all unread flags.
##
## 2. The upgrade keeps unread flags beyond the current page of a topic until
## the user actually visits that page.
##
## 3. The upgrade gives the user a new yellow button on each post (right next
## to the quote button) that allows the user to mark the topic unread
## again from that post onwards (a sort of bookmark function).

Did you have something else in mind?

I'll re-write the actual description once I get around to doing version 2.0.5 since that version will add at least one new feature to the basic mod.
Merlin Sythove

Post by Merlin Sythove »

Haha, I probably was too hasty. I wanted to refer the previous poster to the first post (roughly) of this topic, with the mod description in it, but then couldn't see it myself. And by then you had already answered. Of course I looked at the first post by you, which only gives the improvements, not the full feature list. And the very first post, which we cannot edit, does indeed give a short description of the mod.
Need custom work done? Pimp My Forum!
kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 »

Anyone have this working with the Profile Control Panel mod?
kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 »

Ok I've tried this, with the mod for PCP and it half works.

It will keep the forums marked as unread, but not the individual threads. Any ideas?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

kyle1745 wrote: Ok I've tried this, with the mod for PCP and it half works.

It will keep the forums marked as unread, but not the individual threads. Any ideas?

Try reading the author's notes to the mod ;)
kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 »

Could you be more specific? As I have read them and have as I stated added the modifications required for PCP.
asinshesq wrote:
kyle1745 wrote:Ok I've tried this, with the mod for PCP and it half works.

Try reading the author's notes to the mod ;)
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

kyle1745 wrote: Could you be more specific? As I have read them and have as I stated added the modifications required for PCP.

Are you saying you already made the changes niksa suggested in the series of posts I cited to in that author's note? If so, I'm not sure what else to suggest (I don't run pcp and don't know abything about it).
kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 »

Yes that is what I am saying...
asinshesq wrote:
kyle1745 wrote:Could you be more specific? As I have read them and have as I stated added the modifications required for PCP.

Are you saying you already made the changes niksa suggested in the series of posts I cited to in that author's note? If so, I'm not sure what else to suggest (I don't run pcp and don't know abything about it).
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

kyle1745 wrote: Yes that is what I am saying...
asinshesq wrote:
kyle1745 wrote:Could you be more specific? As I have read them and have as I stated added the modifications required for PCP.

Did you install with easymod? If not, how about going back to your backup files and installing with easymod. Use the new version that installs on phpbb2.0.20, and before you install make niksa's changes to the install script.
kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 »

Yes that is what I did....
kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 »

If I need to post code for someone to help me out please let me know what to post.
kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 »

Ok I got it working. It turns out with PCP you need both sets of code, and not replace the code in Niksas post. Or at least for my board that worked....

My next question though is about the SQL optimzation mod. What is considered a HUGE amount of concurrent traffic? 10 users? 50? 1000?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

kyle1745 wrote: Ok I got it working. It turns out with PCP you need both sets of code, and not replace the code in Niksas post. Or at least for my board that worked....

Are you saying that you should ignore the first part of niksa's post where he says don't make a certain change on viewforum because (he says) that part is commented out on a pcp board anyway? So the only change you needed to make from the normal script was to do the FIND and REPLACE WITH that he tells you to do in includes/functions_topic_list.php? Thanks for that investigative work.
My next question though is about the SQL optimzation mod. What is considered a HUGE amount of concurrent traffic? 10 users? 50? 1000?

Don't worry about it...I'll be releaseing an upgrade to 2.0.5 soon that will give everyone a sligtly changed version of the more optimized sql so for now hang in there.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”