keep unread flags

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
75%
Very Good
17%
Good
4%
Fair
No votes
Poor
4%

Total votes: 96

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Re: keep unread flags

Post by asinshesq »

Lusch wrote:Can someone explain to me what the function `list_new_unreads` does?
I noticed that this function is called twice in search.php! When I comment one of the two out the load time of search.php becomes twice as fast.
If you look at the mod install script, you will see that it only adds code that includes list_new_unreads() once in search.php, so if that code appears twice in your search.php you have done something wrong. What version of keep unread are you using?

Maybe you are talking about the fact that it gets called in search.php and also gets called in page_header.php?? A few versions ago I changed the page_header.php code to skip list_new_unreads if it had already been called by index.php, but I have no idea whether I did that for when it has already been called in search.php. I can check later on, but maybe you can clarify what exactly you are talking about.
Lusch

Post by Lusch »

I'm a bit further on this. I have an old version of Categories Hierarchy installed, and the call to `list_new_unreads` is done in every request here. I used the code changes for boards with this CH mod installed posted somewhere in the middle of this topic. I guess that code isn't so good as the original I guess?

I still do not see the use of this function since my forum behaves exactly the same when I call `list_new_unreads` only in search.php: I still get unread icons on the index page. Or are these only if the latest topic contains unread posts, and not older ones?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Lusch wrote:I have an old version of Categories Hierarchy installed, and the call to `list_new_unreads` is done in every request here. I used the code changes for boards with this CH mod installed posted somewhere in the middle of this topic. I guess that code isn't so good as the original I guess?
This mod is written for regular phpbb2, not for CH (which is effectively an entirely different forum software rather than just a mod). But if you applied that unofficial fix (which I have never looked at myself), did you also keep the regular keep unread code updated? I ask again, which version of keep unread do you have installed (with that fix)?
Lusch wrote:I still do not see the use of this function since my forum behaves exactly the same when I call `list_new_unreads` only in search.php: I still get unread icons on the index page. Or are these only if the latest topic contains unread posts, and not older ones?
Errr, no matter what that line does, why would commenting out that line in search impact what happens on your index page? If you're on your index page you are not on search, right (unless there's something really funny about CH in that regard).

Separately, note that the author's notes also tell you that if you have a really large board you should consider setting a flag to false so that the mod does NOT toggle the text of the unread link on pages other than the index page. You may want to look at that too.
Lusch

Post by Lusch »

I installed Keep unread 207 and the (unofficial) changes for CH 204. The install file refers to this code! If this code is no good, I suggest this reference should be removed.

What I did: I commented out the general call to `list_new_unreads`. In the vanilla phpbb version this call only is made in index.php, but with CH it is called on every request. The call in search.php stays where it is... ;)
Now I have a faster index and search.

I think you are talking about the $toggle_unreads_link toggle? That is set to false allready.

In the future I'd like to get rid of CH because I don't use subforums. In the meantime this fix/hack will do I guess...
Doorway

Post by Doorway »

MOD Robot wrote:Modification name: keep unread flags
Author: asinshesq
Modification description: This mod keeps the unread flags for a topic active until the topic is read. It also activates the new post feature for guests.
Modification version: 2.0.7
Tested on phpBB version: See below

Download file: keep_unread_version_2-0-7.zip
File size: 129338 Bytes

Modification overview page: View

Selected tags:
  1. category
    1. Add-Ons
  2. phpbb
    1. 2.0.22
Support for this modification needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Team is not responsible or required to give anyone support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Inside this zip file are 3 different set of instructions for installing this MOD.
Which one do I use if I've never had it installed and I am running phpBB2.0.23?
  • 1. keep_unread_2-0-7.txt
    2. mod_to_the_mod_to_change_view_unread_post_links.txt
    3. (upgrades) keep_unread_upgrade_from_1-0-0_to_2-0-2a.txt - thru - keep_unread_upgrade_from_2-0-6_to_2-0-7.txt
Thanks for your help, at this point in time I cannot upgrade from v2 to v3 so please don't ask me to do that.. hehe, I just can't atm, toooo much to figure out especially with templates, styles, and how to blend my style around phpbb3.

Also, I cannot install easyMod, (mostly because it needs subSilver installed.. or atleast that's what it keeps telling me, but I keep responding back letting it know that it's there!... but it doesn't wanna listen to me).
phpBB3 Rocks!

I always have to ask the question before I figure out the answer.
Thanks for all the support since 2.0.6!
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

Just stick a copy of subSilver in the templates folder to keep EM happy.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
Doorway

Post by Doorway »

Dogs and things wrote:Just stick a copy of subSilver in the templates folder to keep EM happy.
It's there, trust me....
Besides I would rather prefer doing the mods myself so I know what's what and how it works.

Which of the top two files do I use to install this mod? That is the confusing part. And both are LONG so I don't wanna have to do one then realize it wasn't the correct one.
phpBB3 Rocks!

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

First nº1, nº2 is optional.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Doorway wrote:
Dogs and things wrote:Just stick a copy of subSilver in the templates folder to keep EM happy.
It's there, trust me....
Besides I would rather prefer doing the mods myself so I know what's what and how it works.

Which of the top two files do I use to install this mod? That is the confusing part. And both are LONG so I don't wanna have to do one then realize it wasn't the correct one.
You should use the one - the only one - in the root of the download. That's the one called keep_unread_2-0-7.txt. Contrib folders are for extras, not for the main mod.

But you are right that this is long and my guess is that most people will make at least one mistake in installing it (and if you don't know your way around php and myslq and phpbb2 then it may be hard to find the mistake). I continue to recommend easymod. As for your easymod problem, f you really have subSilver in the templates folder and easymod doesn't recognize it, that's because you haven't installed it from your ACP. To install it, go to the ACP, then look on the left and find the Styles 'Add' link. If you click that you will be able to install subsilver.
Doorway

Post by Doorway »

asinshesq wrote:....I continue to recommend easymod. As for your easymod problem, if you really have subSilver in the templates folder and easymod doesn't recognize it, that's because you haven't installed it from your ACP. To install it, go to the ACP, then look on the left and find the Styles 'Add' link. If you click that you will be able to install subsilver.
subSilver is installed, however I use eXtreme Styles Mod which might be messing with the EM installations. So I just double checked it's installed but all members are forced to use the mod style for their overall look.

Nonetheless. I'll use the first "keep_unread_2-0-7.txt" from root directory of download.
Thanks for the answer, asinshesq & Dogs and things.
phpBB3 Rocks!

Doorway

Post by Doorway »

Doorway wrote:subSilver is installed, however I use eXtreme Styles Mod which might be messing with the EM installations. So I just double checked it's installed but all members are forced to use the mod style for their overall look.
EM is now installed! OH BOY!
eXtreme Styles wasn't messing with the EM.

On to bigger and better breaks...
/scratches his head on how to install mods under EM....
/walks over to the EM thread :mrgreen:
phpBB3 Rocks!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”