[2.0.17] Amazon Link MOD

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
43%
Very Good
No votes
Good
14%
Fair
14%
Poor
29%

Total votes: 7

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.17] Amazon Link MOD

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Amazon Link MOD
Author: amjohnno
MOD Description: Creates a link in the forum view which searches Amazon based upon the title of a topic. Customisable, and very useful for adding additional advertising to a website.

MOD Version: 1.0.6 (Updated 10/26/05)

Download File: amazon_link_mod_1.0.6.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 22209 Bytes

Security Score: 0
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This is a Amazon-integration MOD. With the MOD enabled in chosen forum(s), each topic will display a "BUY!" button which links to amazon using topic title as amazon keyword.
amjohnno

Release Notes

Post by amjohnno »

MOD Title: Amazon Link MOD
MOD Description: Adds a customisable link to Amazon using an affiliate ID and topic title.
Latest Release: 1.0.6

Basically, this MOD places an image in line with topic titles in the Forum view which searches Amazon for the title of the topic. This is useful for those wanting discrete advertising, and especially those who use film/game/book tiles as topic titles such as review forums.

New Features in latest update:

- Japanese Amazon site added to the MOD.

Features:

- Admin area.
- Choice of UK, US, Canada, Germany, France or Japan Amazon websites*.
- Enter your own affiliate ID.
- Select which types of topic the link is displayed next to (normal/sticky/announcement).
- Choose which forums it is displayed in.
- Select to open link in new window.
- Image changes depending upon the currency.
- Turn it on or off in the admin panel.
- Select your images folder

*China has not been added as it doesn't use the same affiliate scheme.

Whilst many Amazon add-ons would force authors affiliate ID once every 10 or so links, this does not. If you enter an affiliate ID, yours is the only one which is used. If you want to use this MOD but don't have an ID, then and only then will it revert to that of the author.

Forum View:

Amazon Admin Panel:

Forum Management Panel:
Last edited by amjohnno on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amjohnno

Next Update

Post by amjohnno »

I'm currently working on an update to 1.0.5a whereby you will be able to select which department on Amazon you would like to search in each individual forum. So say you have a forum about movies, and one about music, you can have it so that one searches the DVD department and the other searches music.
DVDs and Stuff.net
"I would like to say hello to my parents and my Shoalin Master, but they are all dead"
Van Zant

Post by Van Zant »

hey just a few suggestions wondering if you could do it?

do you think it would be possible to impliment this into BB codes?

so for example [amazon]The Davinci Code[/amazon] would make it a link to search Amazon with your referrers ID?

also about the country settings...what if members are from a range of countries? wouldn't that be a problem?

can you have it on in some forums and not in others?

p.s. this sounds like an AMAZING mod and would love to install it :)
amjohnno

Post by amjohnno »

Van Zant wrote: do you think it would be possible to impliment this into BB codes?

so for example [amazon]The Davinci Code[/amazon] would make it a link to search Amazon with your referrers ID?

also about the country settings...what if members are from a range of countries? wouldn't that be a problem?

can you have it on in some forums and not in others?

As regards the BB code, I actually have that exact thing on my website. I downloaded the MOD which does the same thing with Google, and simply edited the links and names. You can find that here. For an example of what I did with it, click here. With this, there isn't the option to alter the details at will, but you can change it when you edit the code.

I did think about allowing you to have different countries depending upon the user viewing it, but I couldn't come up with a way of establising which members would see what. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

And finally, you do get to choose which forums it is displayed in. You simply go to Management under Forum Admin in the control panel, select edit next to the forum you wish it to appear in and tick the box.
DVDs and Stuff.net
"I would like to say hello to my parents and my Shoalin Master, but they are all dead"
Gollem99

Post by Gollem99 »

I really want this mod but easymod errors it:
FIND FAILED: In file [templates/subSilver/viewforum_body.tpl] could not find:

<td class="row1" width="100%"><span class="topictitle">{topicrow.NEWEST_POST_IMG}{topicrow.TOPIC_TYPE}<a href="{topicrow.U_VIEW_TOPIC}" class="topictitle">{topicrow.TOPIC_TITLE}</a></span><span class="gensmall"><br />
{topicrow.GOTO_PAGE}</span></td>

MOD script line #241

Any idea?
amjohnno

Post by amjohnno »

Gollem99 wrote: I really want this mod but easymod errors it:
FIND FAILED: In file [templates/subSilver/viewforum_body.tpl] could not find:

<td class="row1" width="100%"><span class="topictitle">{topicrow.NEWEST_POST_IMG}{topicrow.TOPIC_TYPE}<a href="{topicrow.U_VIEW_TOPIC}" class="topictitle">{topicrow.TOPIC_TITLE}</a></span><span class="gensmall"><br />

MOD script line #241

Any idea?

Do you have any other MODs installed? This is the most logical problem. I personally have the subheading MOD which would interfer with the installation of this. Basically, that bit of the code is what is used to display the Amazon links on your page. What you can do is to that seperately if you wish.

If you are using the subheading MOD, the best thing to do would be to undo what you did when installing that MOD, and install this one first. Then reinstall the subheading MOD. If it's any other MOD interferring, then do the same thing but with that. Otherwise, the best thing to do would be to open the amazon.txt file before uploading it to your website, and deleting the following from it:

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
templates/subSilver/viewforum_body.tpl
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#
<td class="row1" width="100%">
<table width="100%"  border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
      <tr>
	<td>
          <span class="topictitle">{topicrow.NEWEST_POST_IMG}{topicrow.TOPIC_TYPE}<a href="{topicrow.U_VIEW_TOPIC}" class="topictitle">{topicrow.TOPIC_TITLE}</a></span><span class="gensmall"><br />
		{topicrow.GOTO_PAGE}</span>
        </td>
          <td width="50" valign="middle">{topicrow.AMAZON_LINK}</td>
      </tr>
</table>
</td>
After this, try using EasyMOD again to install it. This will add the important bits of code to the files except for the one used to display it. Then, manually open the templates/subSilver/view_forumbody.tpl file in a text/html editor, and do the following:

Find:

<span class="topictitle">{topicrow.NEWEST_POST_IMG}{topicrow.TOPIC_TYPE}<a href="{topicrow.U_VIEW_TOPIC}" class="topictitle">{topicrow.TOPIC_TITLE}</a></span><span class="gensmall"><br />
      {topicrow.GOTO_PAGE}</span>

Then, before it add:

<table width="100%"  border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
      <tr>
	<td>

And after it, add:

</td>
          <td width="50" valign="middle">{topicrow.AMAZON_LINK}</td>
      </tr>
</table>
One of those methods should hopefully do the trick.
DVDs and Stuff.net
Gollem99

Post by Gollem99 »

Thanks for the reply, it is now working very nicely :)

The first solution did the trick by manually editing it. Thanks alot :)
amjohnno

Post by amjohnno »

No probs :wink:
DVDs and Stuff.net
Minoesj

Post by Minoesj »

Looks like a great mod and it is great that you can choose at what forum you use it (that's its best feature, more mods should work on that).
Thanks for that!
But will this work with the CH-Mod ?
Animal Rights Concerns offering Animal Rights and Vegan Resources.
Go Vegan and start a more compassionate lifestyle today!
amjohnno

Post by amjohnno »

Minoesj wrote: But will this work with the CH-Mod ?

Although I'm not 100% sure, I've taken a look at the code for both, and it doesn't look like either of them interfers with the other, so hopefully it should be ok. But as I said, I'm not 100% sure! :D
DVDs and Stuff.net
beckyg

Can't execute query

Post by beckyg »

Hi!

I'm trying to excute the mod in my Admin area, but I keep getting the following error message:

Could not execute query.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'editors.AMAZON_CONFIG_TABLE' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM AMAZON_CONFIG_TABLE WHERE amazon_id = 1

Line : 115
File : admin_amazon.php
I checked my SQL database and there is a file called phpbb_amazon_config. Should I rename it to just amazon_config?

Thanks!

-Becky
amjohnno

Post by amjohnno »

It's probably something to do with the 'editors.' bit in the SQL error. AMAZON_CONFIG_TABLE is not the name of the table itself, but rather it refers to the name of a table which is stored elsewhere. I think this is a security feature. So when the editors. bit is added, phpBB won't be able to find the actual table name. Your best bet is to look through the code and see whether this has been added, and if so delete it.
DVDs and Stuff.net
DeadDingo

Post by DeadDingo »

Is it possible to have Amazon.co.jp added to this please. It would be ideal for our forum

Thank

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”