[2.0.20] Simple Image Upload

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
60%
Very Good
19%
Good
7%
Fair
10%
Poor
5%

Total votes: 42

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.20] Simple Image Upload

Post by Extensions Robot » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:16 pm

MOD Name: Simple Image Upload
Author: TehShunT
MOD Description: This is a very simple alternative to attachment mod. It works only with images and allows users to quickly add images to posts. All images are stored on third party image hosting service and bbcode for images is automatically inserted in posts when users upload images. Thumbnails are automatically created on image hosting server. This mod is very easy to install and very easy to use.

MOD Version: 1.0.3 (Updated 05/19/06)

Download File: simple-image-upload_v1.0.3a.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 2039 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:15 pm

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Image is uploaded to an online image host called PostImage.org.
Last edited by ycl6 on Mon May 01, 2006 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:34 pm

What this mod is about:

This mod is a simple version of attachment mod. It works only for images.

All images are hosted on third party image hosting service, so you don't need to worry about disk space. Thumbnails are generated for all images so uploading large images won't break your posts.

How it works:

Uploading images is as simple as it can get:

1. When starting new thread or posting reply you see "add image to post" link below textarea:

2. Click that link, popup will appear where you should select image and add description to that image (description is optional):

3. You click "upload it" link, image is uploaded and bbcode is automatically inserted in post:

4. You click "submit" to submit post and thumbnail of image appears in post (just like thumbnails posted above)

Installation of this mod is very simple. Alternative installation methods (including one that doesn't require editing of tpl files, so if you have lots of templates installed you can use it) are available here: http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?t=8121

Why is it better than imageshack/etc integration mods?

1. It inserts bbcode in post. You don't need to do copy/paste from popup. Its much easier to use.

2. Unlike all major image hosting services, postimage.org doesn't allow hotlinking of images. This means it doesn't waste terabytes of bandwidth on useless avatars and signatures. So it uses faster internet connection and better hardware to make sure image hosting is always very fast.

3. No popup advertizing or activex junk. And there never will be any.

Translations:

To use image hosting in your language you need to add "lang" parameter to popup url. See third post of this thread on how to do it: http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?t=8121
Last edited by Arty on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

Capmaster

Post by Capmaster » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:37 pm

I'd still rather see a simple inline image attach that allows the poster to browse their hd, pick the file, and have the image inserted ..full size and not thumbnails.

For now I'm using the near-perfect Attach mod, but it has that damned border around the image, with no option to turn it off :cry: .

My workaround was to create a separate forum to attach. Then they can right-click to get the URL, and then go to the regular forum and out it between IMG tags. Or they can live with the ghey border, which some do.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:42 pm

This mod is different. Its image hosting service integration, not like attachment mod.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:24 pm

This is nice, but is there a way to post a link for a full image into the message instead of a thumbnail? Would that be a code modification i the MOD or a limitation imposed by PostImage.org???

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:55 pm

NightriderXP wrote: This is nice, but is there a way to post a link for a full image into the message instead of a thumbnail?

No, there isn't.
NightriderXP wrote: Would that be a code modification i the MOD or a limitation imposed by PostImage.org???

Limitation of postimage.org.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:00 pm

Ok, thanks CyberAlien...

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:05 am

Great MOD CyberAlien!
Thanks! :mrgreen:
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

Ken Walker

Post by Ken Walker » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:28 am

Just wanted to say thanks for a fantastic mod! I love it I love it I love it.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:20 pm

I've added "Why is it better than imageshack/etc integration mods?" section in my first post in case if anyone wonders why use this instead of imageshack.

Stewie Griffin

Post by Stewie Griffin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:40 pm

I highly recommend it.
I had originally implemented this on my board about a month ago until I read the guidelines for uploading images to the database. My site may contain some very questionable subject matter (extreme gore, sexual innuendo, etc) that is not suitable for uploading to his server. To avoid risk of being banned, I took it off my community and am just having ppl manually put in the tags.

When I did have it on, I placed a few test subjects up. Worked as it states, and doesn't bog anything down. Quick and not a problem at all. I thought I would have an issue like the Imageshack i-frame thingee (a slow killer), but this is just perfect for those that want an image up, submitted, and move on to the next thread.

Great job, CA, and a big thanks for supplying everyone with a new free image server. :wink:

Uncle Charlie

Post by Uncle Charlie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:35 pm

What happens to the pictures are they secure?

Uncle Charlie

Where do you upload the code.

Post by Uncle Charlie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:00 pm

Where do you upload the downloaded code.

I've downloaded the xtreme style so that I can install the simple image upload.

However, I don't see any documentation on where to upload the mods on my server. In otherwords how to install it to make it work.

Any Help would greatly be appreciated.

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: Where do you upload the code.

Post by Arty » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Uncle Charlie wrote: What happens to the pictures are they secure?

Images are hosted on expensive dedicated server. It uses raid10 disk array so in case if one hd fails there is a mirror. Also there are daily full backups. So images are quite secure.
Uncle Charlie wrote: Where do you upload the downloaded code.

Use ftp or whatever you used to upload phpBB. Hovewer, if you are using some free forum hosting service then you can't install any mods because you don't have access to files.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”