Simple Subforums

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
61%
Very Good
18%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 322

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Simple Subforums

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Simple Subforums
Author: pentapenguin
MOD Description: This MOD is a simple subforums MOD that doesn't include any extras and makes only one small database change. It supports only one level deep subforums that should be enough for most forums.
Please remember that this MOD requires the eXtreme Styles MOD.: https://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=125251

MOD Version: 1.0.2 (Updated 09/21/06)
Tested on phpBB Version: 2.0.21

Download File: simple_subforums_1.0.2b.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 38757 Bytes

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
ycl6

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This is another sub-forum MOD and support one-level of nested sub-forum only.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Good job pentapenguin! Simple, yet effective. :)

Does this still require XS? /me goes off to RTFM on this one
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

DOWNLOAD HERE UNTIL phpBB.com MODDB IS BACK UP:
http://pentapenguin.sourceforge.net/

:!: :!: IMPORTANT NOTE :!: :!:
Please upgrade to 1.0.1 ASAP! This update fixes a security hole. This is a very simple fix that takes just 1 minute. To make a long story short, somehow or another a bad error managed to get into the MOD install guide. I sincerely apologize for this and I will try extra harder to make sure it doesn't happen again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot ycl6 and the MOD Team for validating this! :D

Beta version link for historical purposes only:
[MODDB] Simple Subforums MOD

Many, many thanks go out to CyberAlien for developing the major part of this MOD!

Code: Select all

##############################################################
## MOD Title: Simple Subforums MOD
## MOD Author: pentapenguin < [email protected] > (Jeremy Conley) http://www.pentapenguin.com
## MOD Author: CyberAlien <n/a> (Vjacheslav Trushkin) http://www.phpbbstyles.com
## MOD Description: This MOD is a simple subforums MOD that doesn't include any extras and makes only
## one small database change. It supports only one level deep subforums that should be enough for most forums.
## MOD Version: 1.0.0
## Installation Level: Intermediate
## Installation Time: 30 Minutes
## Files To Edit: 20
## admin/admin_forumauth.php
## admin/admin_forums.php
## includes/functions.php
## includes/functions_admin.php
## language/lang_english/lang_main.php
## templates/subSilver/admin/forum_admin_body.tpl
## templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl
## templates/subSilver/modcp_body.tpl
## templates/subSilver/modcp_split.tpl
## templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl
## templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl
## templates/subSilver/subSilver.cfg
## templates/subSilver/viewforum_body.tpl
## templates/subSilver/viewtopic_body.tpl
## index.php
## modcp.php
## posting.php
## search.php
## viewforum.php
## viewtopic.php
##
## Included Files: 3
## contrib/admin/xs_simple_subforums.cfg
## templates/subSilver/images/folders_big.gif
## templates/subSilver/images/folders_new_big.gif
##
## License: http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU General Public License v2
## For security purposes, please check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## for the latest version of this MOD. Although MODs are checked
## before being allowed in the MODs Database there is no guarantee
## that there are no security problems within the MOD. No support
## will be given for MODs not found within the MODs Database which
## can be found at http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## Author Notes:
##
## Please remember that this MOD requires the eXtreme Styles MOD.
## See the DIY INSTRUCTIONS below for download links.
##
## Instructions for use: to create a subforum, simply go to your admin panel->Forum Admin->Management.
## From there, click on the "Edit" link next to a forum, and select the parent (main) forum from the 
## "Category / Forum" dropdown box.
##
## This MOD includes a built-in update checker.
## To access the update checker, go to your admin panel->eXtreme Styles->Styles Management->Check for Updates
##
## To run the required SQL updates please see this article in the phpBB.com knowledge base: 
## http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=264
## Or use the SQL Generator Tool available here: http://www.phpbbstyles.com/sql.php
##
## This MOD is EasyMOD friendly! (http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?sid=&f=17)
##
## For additional language and style downloads, please visit http://www.pentapenguin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1416
##
## Thanks go out to CyberAlien for originally developing this MOD! :-)
## MOD History:
##   2005-10-30 - Version 1.0.0
##      - Initial Release
##
## Before Adding This MOD To Your Forum, You Should Back Up All Files Related To This MOD
Please ask if you have any questions!
Enjoy! :mrgreen:

FAQs
Q: EasyMOD can't find the Simple Subforums install file.
A: The Simple Subforums install file for EasyMOD is in the contrib directory. Move simple_subforums_1.0.2.txt from the contrib folder to the simple_subforums_1.0.2 folder. So move simple_subforums_1.0.2/contrib/simple_subforums_1.0.2.txt to simple_subforums_1.0.2/simple_subforums_1.0.2.txt.

Q. Okay, I got this installed, how do I make a subforum? There's no option!
A. Yes there is. ;) You just need to go to your admin admin panel->Forum Admin->Management. From there, click on the "Edit" link next to a forum, and select the parent (main) forum from the "Category / Forum" dropdown box. That's all!

Q. I need help installing this on other styles!
A. Sorry, but I am unable to provide help for installing on every style out there -- it's impossible. Just try installing it yourself. The key to installing on non-subSilver files is to look for template variables. i.e. {SOMETHING} -- in other words, capital letters in braces. Some of the HTML code (the stuff in the <blah> tags is different but the template variables are the same). Once you find a template variable you can try FINDing or ADD, AFTERing.

Q. Is this MOD EasyMOD compatible?
A. Yes, it should be. I tried my best to make it work with any phpBB installation but you could run into problems. If EasyMOD says that it couldn't FIND something, just cut the problematic FIND statement out (and it's related other action like AFTER, ADD) and do it manually.
Last edited by pentapenguin on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: Good job pentapenguin! Simple, yet effective. :)

Thanks!
MennoniteHobbit wrote: Does this still require XS?

Yup, it does.
The reason for that is this MOD shifts some of the processing to the template side to make fewer core code changes.
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
CoRuP7ioN

Post by CoRuP7ioN »

I have xs installed..but i think i did something wrong with the installation...

I installed subforums, and had a few errors (missing lines) but did them manually... and it installed fine... and i click on my site.. and my portal works fine... but when my forums load.. the only thing that shows is the overall header.. no forums at all.. what did i do wrong..? and where do I actually add subforums to a forum and such? it didnt add anything to the admin control panel... was it supposed to?? Someone please help!!!

somebody said its uner forum>settings or sumthing... can sum1 tell me whats causeing my forums to not work? I think its index.php
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Link to your site since my crystal ball is a bit cloudy? ;)
CoRuP7ioN

Post by CoRuP7ioN »

http://www.adventgamers.com/

click forums on the navigation bar to the left
KenzieGIRL

Post by KenzieGIRL »

does this work with the cash mod?
James78

Post by James78 »

Well, I have the Cash MOD and it gave me no problems. So, I don't think it'll give you any problems either. Yes, it seems to work with Cash MOD so far. :D
Last edited by James78 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Hey cool, wasn't this in BETA not too long ago? well works great!

does this work with the cash mod?

Working good with cash MOD over here.
hlrsenet

Post by hlrsenet »

Gold modification, a must-install mod! Well done, straight to the point (or straight-forward), very simple, and professional. This mod should rather be built in with future phpBB2 releases.

Example: HLRSE Mapping Forums
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

CoRuP7ioN wrote: I have xs installed..but i think i did something wrong with the installation...

I installed subforums, and had a few errors (missing lines) but did them manually... and it installed fine... and i click on my site.. and my portal works fine... but when my forums load.. the only thing that shows is the overall header.. no forums at all.. what did i do wrong..? and where do I actually add subforums to a forum and such? it didnt add anything to the admin control panel... was it supposed to?? Someone please help!!!

somebody said its uner forum>settings or sumthing... can sum1 tell me whats causeing my forums to not work? I think its index.php

You forgot

<!-- ENDIF -->
before

<!-- END forumrow -->
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

KenzieGIRL wrote: does this work with the cash mod?

I don't use Cash MOD so I can't say 100% sure, but I don't think there would be any conflicts but James78 and Peter77sx both say it works okay (thanks guys for that!). :)
Peter77sx wrote: Hey cool, wasn't this in BETA not too long ago?

Yup. ;)
James78

Post by James78 »

Just dropped in to say this works very well and doesn't stop other permissions added by other mods (example: attachment mod) from working in the subforums. I know that you guys said that the subforums only go one level deep, but I was wondering how to make it so that you could have multiple levels of subforums. You don't have to help me, I'm just curious. :D

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”