[01/12/06] Spam Words

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
76%
Very Good
13%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
4%

Total votes: 68

kazper

Post by kazper » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:33 pm

This is a wonderful, wonderful mod. Had a few troubles getting it to work since my forum was already heavily modded so sorting out those in-lines was tense, but it works great :D

A few suggestions for useful features I'd love (if they are possible):

1) A Ban button on the admin panel where you review flagged posts. If it's flagrant anonymous spam you could clik that one button and the IP would be banned (and post deleted perhaps).
2) Currently the "auto-ban" for repeated violations only work against registered members (correct me if I'm wrong), and it'd be great if there was some way to keep a DB of the IPs of caught messages so it could also auto-ban by IP those anonymous spammers after eg 5 tries on their part.

Of course if #1 is implemented #2 isn't really neccessary and will be mostly for the lazy ones (like me ;) ) I realize that with this mod it isn't strictly neccessary to ban the spammer's IPs but in the long run it'll be easier and cut down on the number of posts to review.

acemi

Great mod

Post by acemi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:05 pm

Brilliant!
Less than a day after installing the mod my forums got hit by a spambot and this mod worked a dream. Not a single spam post got through.

A feature I would like to see in future versions is an option in the control panel => flagged posts that will enable the moderator to select the spam posts and delete all the selected posts at once. For now I want to be able to check that no real posts are being dumped in error.

The word list will take some refining especially using wildcards; e.g. *tit* will destroy posts containing title, petite, titrate, aptitude, etc.

kazper

Post by kazper » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm

A few more feature requests - those more useful I think:

1) Modify search.php so it will not return flagged posts
2) Modify so flagged posts do not show up as "Last Post" and "Unread Posts" on index.
3) Definitely add some way to see the posting IP of the filtered posts.

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:33 pm

1) Good suggestion - easy to do
2) Will be solved by doing 1)
3) Already exists in the Spam Words Log

PANDYMiC

Post by PANDYMiC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm having a bit of a problem with my implementation of the spam words modification.

Due to the heavily modified nature of our forum, I had to install the mod manually. Everything seems to have gone without a hitch. The Administration panel works flawlessly and the client-side code works for the most part, with the exception of a small hitch.

When running in "Error" mode there are no problems. The user receives the error message and a PM is sent. When in "Flag" mode, however, the script stalls at posting.php. The event is logged, and a PM is sent, but no posts appear on the "Flagged Posts" page and the browser returns a blank page (PHP fails execution at one point before the template is output)

I've tried re-installing the script twice but have made no further progress. Is there something I'm overlooking?

wmwgt

Post by wmwgt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:55 pm

First of all: Excellent MOD. Thank you for it!!

And even if it's not really a bug or a big thing ... shouldn't it be include('./page_footer_admin.'.$phpEx);

instead of
include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/page_tail.'.$phpEx);

in the "admin_spamwords_log.php" file ??

best
wm WGT
They made me do it !

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:04 pm

Geeze yes! I don't know what I was thinking! I will correct that.
Thanks,
Joe

wmwgt

Post by wmwgt » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Another thing ...

In line 252 in admin/admin_spamword_log.php the href of the link is incorrect. There is one qoute too much and the inline-closing slash should not be there in the <a>-Tag I guess ...

I think it should be 'IP' => '<a href="http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=' . $log_row[$i]['log_ip'] . '">' . $log_row[$i]['log_ip'] . '</a>',

instead of

'IP' => '<a href="http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip="' . $log_row[$i]['log_ip'] . '" />' . $log_row[$i]['log_ip'] . '</a>',

With the second link there was no valid IP-address in the link which cause the dnsstuff-service to use my actual IP instead of the spammers IP.

-------------
If you explode the message before highlighting it won't work with spam-words defined to have more than one word, e.g. "sex partner". But also this is just a small thing, maybe happened only to me ... :oops:

Hope that I didn't post rubbish, cause I wasn't check the whole thread for it ...

best
wm WGT
They made me do it !

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Looks right. The link worked for me, but you're right - the code was foo-bar'ed.

PANDYMiC

Post by PANDYMiC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:13 am

I have not seen this question yet touched upon in this thread. I was wondering whether this modification searches through BBCode within a post?

I'm attempting to limit the use of the [url] tag for all members who have under a specified number of posts. This is all within the bounds of what this mod is capable of.

Thanks.

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:16 am

This MOD looks at the post text, then strips out bbcode, then checks whether any spam words are in the post.

RyaSke

Post by RyaSke » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:59 pm

Hello Joe!

First I want to thank you for the great hack ... it is beyond valuable for our forums.

Secondly, I'd like to suggest a feature:
Instead of having just EDIT and DELETE in the flag posts dialog, you should have a "Post Anyway" feature that will unhide the post. That way, if a word was used in a way that is OK, it should be able to be posted without editing.

Finally, there is one hack I've been searching all day for that I just can't seem to find. I was hoping you may be able to help me implement it within your own "spam words" hack.

I'd like all posts that contain a [url] or <a href=*>, AND THAT DOES NOT contain the root URL of our website, to go into your flag posts for editing or deletion. This way, any inks to outside websites will not show to guests, bots, or other registered users (unless we click "Post Anyway")

1) Is this possible? 2) could you help me implement this into your hack?, and if not 3) could you suggest someplace I could go for help? (im still a newbie to PHP)

I thank you very much and await your response Joe.

If anyone else would like to assist me in this, please feel free! (I can offer anyone a 10% discount code for any products on our website!! PM me for the URL and coupon code)

the closest hack I found to this would be http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/6071 . although it just detects the URL from another site and opens it in a frame, doesnt stop it from appearing. Maybe this can be merged with your mod, minus the frames?

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:13 pm

I give you code for free and you give me a 10% discount on whatever it is your selling...? Sounds like a GREAT deal to me...

Anyhow, you can already do 1) by editing the post in the flag window. Just hit edit and submit, and the post is approved. 2) is possible, but I don't have the time to do it myself. 3) You could always ask in the MOD requests forum - the folks around there are always very helpful.

Here's a hint. You can check the outgoing links with a regex somewhat like this:

if(preg_match('#(<a href=)(.*)([^yoursitenamehere])#', $message))
{
throw boiling water at the rogues here...
}

Sincerely,
Joe
Last edited by Joe Belmaati on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyaSke

Post by RyaSke » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:18 pm

hah thanks the reply joe

I would love to give you a free product but I am only the marketing director here (I handle promotions and coupons), I cant get myself in trouble.

I now see what you mean with the edit post links, thank you very much for pointing out it is already possible.

i just saw your edit THANKS!

RyaSke

Post by RyaSke » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:46 am

hey joe.. i reread your thread and it seems with all these suggestions, that your likely to work on another version eventually. for that reason, I have a one suggestions and two bugs? to bring to your attention

suggestion: when a mod is logged in and viewing the forum, you should have a "you have a new PM" type indicator that shows there are new posts awaiting review in the "flagged posts" section *click here to see*.

Bugs?
- the "view unanswered posts" link and "Last Post" column on forum index, indicate the post was made.
- flagged posts has 1-4 page count when there are no other pages

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”