[2.0.19] Search Box

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
10
91%
Very Good
0
No votes
Good
0
No votes
Fair
0
No votes
Poor
1
9%
 
Total votes: 11

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Posts: 28532
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:36 am

[2.0.19] Search Box

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Search Box
Author: alfatek
MOD Description: When you click in the search link at the top of your pages, a search box appears.
If you don't have javascript it degrades and goes to search.php as usual.


MOD Version: 1.0.1 (Updated 03/06/06)

Download File: searchbox_1.0.1.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 101125 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
User avatar
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Posts: 3758
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:30 am
Location: San Mateo, CA
Name: Douglas Bell
Contact:

Post by webmacster87 »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Uses JavaScript to display a small Forum Search box when the Search link in the forum header is clicked.
martijn2
Registered User
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:10 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by martijn2 »

Sounds good, any demo available? Is it like vBulletins search box?
Edit: ah, just seen it on the MOD authors site, looks indeed very cool!
Only one small question, is it possible to have the same effect as vB has when clicking it? Expanding from the top-left to the bottom-right I mean ;)
R45
Registered User
Posts: 2830
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:42 pm

Post by R45 »

One small thing, in overall_header.tpl

Code: Select all

<a href="search.php" class="nav">{L_ADVANCED_SEARCH}</a>
Should be

Code: Select all

<a href="{U_SEARCH}" class="nav">{L_ADVANCED_SEARCH}</a>
For the sessions, nice mod though.
alfatek
Registered User
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:04 am
Contact:

Post by alfatek »

alfatek
Registered User
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:04 am
Contact:

Post by alfatek »

martijn2 wrote: Sounds good, any demo available? Is it like vBulletins search box?
Edit: ah, just seen it on the MOD authors site, looks indeed very cool!
Only one small question, is it possible to have the same effect as vB has when clicking it? Expanding from the top-left to the bottom-right I mean ;)


I tried that using script.aculo.us (it's like an addon for the prototype javascript framework that i used: http://script.aculo.us/ ), the problem is the browser compatibility. I opted to use a simple solution but that works in all browsers i could test.

It's really easy to add the effects but when i tried some browsers would behave strange with some effects.
alfatek
Registered User
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:04 am
Contact:

Post by alfatek »

R45 wrote: One small thing, in overall_header.tpl

Code: Select all

<a href="search.php" class="nav">{L_ADVANCED_SEARCH}</a>
Should be

Code: Select all

<a href="{U_SEARCH}" class="nav">{L_ADVANCED_SEARCH}</a>
For the sessions, nice mod though.


1.0.1 uploaded with this correction :)
shakey_1
Registered User
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 am

Post by shakey_1 »

Very nice! I have been looking for something like this. Thanks!
User avatar
igorw
Former Team Member
Posts: 8024
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Is this something simmilar to used here, because that rocks!

EDIT: Installing btw, and testing on custom theme :)
martijn2
Registered User
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:10 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by martijn2 »

It's similar to the one on the site you posted ;)
Only you still need to click the Search link once for it to appear
User avatar
igorw
Former Team Member
Posts: 8024
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

I created an "addon" like that, but it always flickers...

Any ideas? Thanks!

evil

Code: Select all

&nbsp;<a onmouseover="return searchTooltip();" href="{U_SEARCH}" class="mainmenu" id="searchlink"><img src="templates/subSilver/images/icon_mini_search.gif" width="12" height="13" border="0" alt="{L_SEARCH}" hspace="3" />{L_SEARCH} <img src="templates/subSilver/images/icon_mini_menu_down.gif" width="8" height="5" border="0" /></a>
						<div id="searchbox" style="display:none;z-index: 100;" onMouseOut="searchTooltip(); return false;">
						<form action="{S_SEARCH_ACTION}" method="POST">
						<table class="forumline" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" border="0">
						  <tr>
						    <th class="thHead" height="25"><a onclick="searchTooltip(); return false;" href="#" style="float:right;color: #FFF;font-size: 9px;font-family:Verdana, sans-serif; text-decoration: none;">(X)</a>{L_SEARCH_QUERY}</th>
						  </tr>
						  <tr>
						    <td class="row1" align="center">
						      <input type="text" style="width: 180px" class="post" name="search_keywords" size="30" /> <input class="liteoption" type="submit" value="{L_SEARCH}" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_terms" value="all" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_forum" value="-1" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_time" value="0" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_cat value="-1" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="sort_by value="0" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="sort_dir value="ASC" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="show_results value="posts" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="return_chars value="200" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_fields" value="all" />
						    </td>
						  </tr>
						  <tr>
						    <td class="catBottom" align="center">
							  <a href="search.php" class="nav">{L_ADVANCED_SEARCH}</a> 
							</td>
						  </tr>
						</table>
						</form>
						</div>&nbsp;
sbourdon
Registered User
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:29 pm

Post by sbourdon »

eviL<3 wrote: I created an "addon" like that, but it always flickers...

Any ideas? Thanks!

evil

Code: Select all

&nbsp;<a onmouseover="return searchTooltip();" href="{U_SEARCH}" class="mainmenu" id="searchlink"><img src="templates/subSilver/images/icon_mini_search.gif" width="12" height="13" border="0" alt="{L_SEARCH}" hspace="3" />{L_SEARCH} <img src="templates/subSilver/images/icon_mini_menu_down.gif" width="8" height="5" border="0" /></a>
						<div id="searchbox" style="display:none;z-index: 100;" onMouseOut="searchTooltip(); return false;">
						<form action="{S_SEARCH_ACTION}" method="POST">
						<table class="forumline" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" border="0">
						  <tr>
						    <th class="thHead" height="25"><a onclick="searchTooltip(); return false;" href="#" style="float:right;color: #FFF;font-size: 9px;font-family:Verdana, sans-serif; text-decoration: none;">(X)</a>{L_SEARCH_QUERY}</th>
						  </tr>
						  <tr>
						    <td class="row1" align="center">
						      <input type="text" style="width: 180px" class="post" name="search_keywords" size="30" /> <input class="liteoption" type="submit" value="{L_SEARCH}" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_terms" value="all" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_forum" value="-1" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_time" value="0" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_cat value="-1" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="sort_by value="0" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="sort_dir value="ASC" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="show_results value="posts" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="return_chars value="200" />
						      <input type="hidden" name="search_fields" value="all" />
						    </td>
						  </tr>
						  <tr>
						    <td class="catBottom" align="center">
							  <a href="search.php" class="nav">{L_ADVANCED_SEARCH}</a> 
							</td>
						  </tr>
						</table>
						</form>
						</div>&nbsp;


Very interesting; if someone could figure this out, it would be perfect!

Thanks! :wink:
alfatek
Registered User
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:04 am
Contact:

Post by alfatek »

eviL<3 wrote: I created an "addon" like that, but it always flickers...

Any ideas? Thanks!


!?! I can't understand what you're trying to do and i couldn't find the differences in the code you posted... To do the animations i talked about, you only have to change the javascript.

In my tests i believe opening the box works with a effect similar to vbuletin, but closing it doesn't work in IE (it does a jump and then closes.
Jane Doe
Registered User
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Post by Jane Doe »

Tested with:
Opera 8.02, FF 1.5.0.1., IE 6.0.2900.2180 Sp2, AvantBrowser 10.1 Build 25

all perfect.
Great mod. Thanks.
Blitze
Registered User
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:06 pm

Post by Blitze »

Greetings,

first of all, great mod. I installed it and I'm just loving it.

Except I'm having a little problem with posting_body.tpl. I have the fast polls mod installed and there seems to be conflicts between the two mods. The functions (function edit_options(caller) ....) of fast poll mod appears in input fields and it displays about 15 of such fields.

Does any body have this problem?
Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Post Reply

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”