Fix For The Firefox "Remember Passwords" Problem

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
65%
Very Good
18%
Good
10%
Fair
No votes
Poor
8%

Total votes: 40

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:28 pm

I'm not the only one complaining about this problem and it has been around for a while. I was afraid that since the MOD author chose to mostly replace found code rather than modify it, installed code would be lost. I went through and checked and found only a couple of small adjustments needed to be made...

If there is a conflict with other approved phpBB admin MODs, it would be nice to know which ones and why...

niksa

Post by niksa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 pm

NightriderXP wrote: I'm not the only one complaining about this problem and it has been around for a while. I was afraid that since the MOD author chose to mostly replace found code rather than modify it, installed code would be lost. I went through and checked and found only a couple of small adjustments needed to be made...

If there is a conflict with other approved phpBB admin MODs, it would be nice to know which ones and why...

Well what other MODs do you have installed that affect the memberlist function? Also, is this a problem in every template? Are you using 2.0.19? Maybe we can help figure out which one might be affecting it.

As it is... I have this mod installed on a clean 2.0.19 and a modded 2.0.19, and both show the memberlist perfectly. :?

T0ny
Name: Tony

Post by T0ny » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:31 pm

NightriderXP, first, sorry this MOD has been causing you problems.
I'm not the only one complaining about this problem and it has been around for a while.

4 days :)
I was afraid that since the MOD author chose to mostly replace found code rather than modify it, installed code would be lost.

The MOD (as of v1.0.2) requires that the entire line to be changed be un-modified from the phpbb 2.0.19 original, before replacement is done. This should eliminate the possibility of overwriting existing changes.
I went through and checked and found only a couple of small adjustments needed to be made...

Could you share these adjustments?

Agreed, however, how would a MOD author check compatability with every other approved admin MOD available?

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Ok, I will have to get back to this later. But in the mean time, what function file(s) would be the culprit in causing this problem? I have installed a lot of MODs but if I can search for the most important and likely file(s) that would conflict with this MOD, I could do a search and tell you which other MODs I've installed that modify it/them...

T0ny

Post by T0ny » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 pm

what function file(s) would be the culprit in causing this problem? I have installed a lot of MODs but if I can search for the most important and likely file(s) that would conflict with this MOD

Without knowing what exactly you are attempting to do that generates the "Sorry, but that user does not exist" error I can't really say which modified file would be most likely to be causing the problem. All I can can offer you is the full list of files modified by the MOD:

admin/admin_ug_auth.php
admin/admin_users.php
templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/admin/user_select_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/search_username.tpl

Hope this is of some help

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:32 am

T0ny wrote:
what function file(s) would be the culprit in causing this problem? I have installed a lot of MODs but if I can search for the most important and likely file(s) that would conflict with this MOD

Without knowing what exactly you are attempting to do that generates the "Sorry, but that user does not exist" error I can't really say which modified file would be most likely to be causing the problem. All I can can offer you is the full list of files modified by the MOD:

admin/admin_ug_auth.php
admin/admin_users.php
templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/search_username.tpl

Hope this is of some help

The tpl files don't contain any functionality that determines whether a member is valid or not, nor does it contain any other functionality. Tpl files are for display purposes. So it should be safe to rule them out of the search...

The problem that I, as well as many others, have had with this MOD is that when a member name is entered or chosen in the Management option in Users Admin, and when the Look up user button is selected, the error message that I posted above appears, regardless of which member we choose or regardless of whether the member name is typed in or selected by the Find a username script. The functionality runs normally before this MOD is installed and after it is removed...

So basically, since many others have complained of the same problem, if there is a conflict with another MOD, it is a popular one. So this MOD needs to play nice with that one too...

So guess what? I have figured out the problem and found that this MOD does conflict with a very popular MOD. It conflicts with the Attachment MOD of all things. The problem comes because this MOD introduced a new variable, user_name and took out the username variable. But the Attachment MOD is still looking for the username variable. So this MOD breaks the functionality in the Attachment MOD, which is integrated into the admin_users.php file...

Here is the problem. This MOD changes this line in

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
admin/admin_users.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]---------------------------------------------------
#
if ( $mode == 'edit' || $mode == 'save' && ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['username']) || isset($HTTP_GET_VARS[POST_USERS_URL]) || isset( $HTTP_POST_VARS[POST_USERS_URL]) ) )

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]---------------------------------------------------
#
if ( $mode == 'edit' || $mode == 'save' && ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['user_name']) || isset($HTTP_GET_VARS[POST_USERS_URL]) || isset( $HTTP_POST_VARS[POST_USERS_URL]) ) )
The very next line added by the Attachment MOD is this:

attachment_quota_settings('user', $HTTP_POST_VARS['submit'], $mode);
Still there is nothing broken at this point. But when you look at the attachment_quota_settings function, you find this line of code:

$u_name = get_var('username', '');
Guess what you get after the Firefox Fix MOD is installed? Nothing. But when the username variable is replaced with user_name, then the correct value is found. This is what breaks the Management functionality after this MOD is installed on boards where the Attachment MOD is also installed...

So what is the purpose of creating this user_name variable and removing the username variable? Other MODs are being designed to work with the username variable so the changes from this MOD will interfere with all other MODs that work with the username variable. Isn't there a way to fix the Firefox problem without breaking all the other MODs that might be expecting the username variable???

smooky57

Post by smooky57 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:03 pm

NightriderXP wrote: Are you ever going to fix this problem? After this MOD is installed, the Management option can no longer find ANY members of the community...

this problem is here :

#
#

<td class="row1" align="center"><input type="text" class="post" name="username" maxlength="50" size="20" /> <input type="hidden" name="mode" value="edit" />{S_HIDDEN_FIELDS}<input type="submit" name="submituser" value="{L_LOOK_UP}" class="mainoption" /> <input type="submit" name="usersubmit" value="{L_FIND_USERNAME}" class="liteoption" onClick="window.open('{U_SEARCH_USER}', '_phpbbsearch', 'HEIGHT=250,resizable=yes,WIDTH=400');return false;" /></td>

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]---------------------------------------------------
#

<td class="row1" align="center"><input type="text" class="post" name="user_name" maxlength="50" size="20" /> <input type="hidden" name="mode" value="edit" />{S_HIDDEN_FIELDS}<input type="submit" name="submituser" value="{L_LOOK_UP}" class="mainoption" /> <input type="submit" name="usersubmit" value="{L_FIND_USERNAME}" class="liteoption" onClick="window.open('{U_SEARCH_USER}', '_phpbbsearch', 'HEIGHT=250,resizable=yes,WIDTH=400');return false;" /></td>

#

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 pm

How does that resolve the conflict with the Attachment MOD? Or does that correction make it so that there is no conflict at all???

T0ny

Post by T0ny » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:29 pm

OK, here is a new BETA version of the MOD http://mods.servebbs.com/fix_firefox_pwd_1.1.0.mod

Anyone willing to take a risk on testing this for me :) should remove any previous version they have installed before installing this one.
I currently have this running OK on Win2K/Apache2.0/PHP4.4.1 and Linux/Apache2.0/PHP4.4.1 (both vanilla phpbb 2.0.19)

Changes:

admin/admin_users.php & admin/admin_ug_auth.php will now copy the value from $HTTP_POST_VARS['user_name'] to $HTTP_POST_VARS['username'] (assuming $HTTP_POST_VARS['username'] is not already set). This should, hopefully, ensure compatability with any MOD that relies on $HTTP_POST_VARS['username'] being available.

I've checked the PHP documentation and found nothing that says "Dont add items to Auto Global arrays" so hopefully this will be compatible across all platforms.

Any problems, post here :wink:

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:51 am

I will be happy to test this for you since I am the one who uncovered the problem. I don't use Firefox very often, so I'm going to have to rely on my co-admin to test to make sure the problem she's had in the past ever surfaces again. I originally installed this MOD for her benefit...

ClodTalk

Post by ClodTalk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:03 am

I have the attachement mod installed and have just installed your beta script! Its all working for me! I'm using Netscape 7.2 and phpBB 2.0.19

Thanks man! I so needed this mod!

T0ny

Post by T0ny » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback ClodTalk, glad its working OK for you.

realix

Post by realix » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:34 pm

#
#

$username = ( !empty($HTTP_POST_VARS['username']) ) ? phpbb_clean_username($HTTP_POST_VARS['username']) : '';

#
i dont have this line..

T0ny

Post by T0ny » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:24 pm

i dont have this line..

If you are running phpbb 2.0.19 then chances are that some other MOD you have on your board has changed that line. Not to worry though, I'm currently working on a rewrite that should help reduce incompatabilities like this. The current BETA version is available at http://mods.servebbs.com/fix_firefox_pwd_1.1.1.mod if you want to try it out.

T0ny

Post by T0ny » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:29 pm

Further changes: http://mods.servebbs.com/fix_firefox_pwd_1.1.1.mod

This removes the edits to templates/subSilver/admin/user_select_body.tpl which are no longer needed. The good news (for eviL<3 at least) is that this version is compatable with "Enhanced Admin User Lookup"

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”