[2.0.20] registration disable website signature

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
65%
Very Good
12%
Good
8%
Fair
6%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 49

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

I'd like to point out this post of a simular working instant IP ban mod:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 68#2341368
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Ramon Fincken wrote: I'd like to point out this post of a simular working instant IP ban mod:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 68#2341368

That mod has basically been abandoned by it's author. ;)
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

true but I saw that this mod also uses a instant ban principle, Am I right?
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

It can if you turn it on, though I don't like the idea anymore of instant banning IP's(I made this mod before I really thought of what could happen when all those IP's start to rack up from dynamic addys).
DooMAD

Post by DooMAD »

Another satisfied customer here. I tried this mod first, but it hid the website and signature fields in all users' profiles, regardless of postcount. The version in this thread seems to work better, for me anyways. Thanks!
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

I installed this mod manually by editing the few files and it does not work. All it does is stop the signature and website fields from being entered in the profile. It still registers the spammers... they're still filling up my forums. Please help!
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Swanny wrote: I installed this mod manually by editing the few files and it does not work. All it does is stop the signature and website fields from being entered in the profile. It still registers the spammers... they're still filling up my forums. Please help!

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. ;)

All this mod is supposed to do is hide the signature and website fields during registration and stop registrations if either are filled in. :)

This mod can't do anything if spammers register without filling in the signature or website field. ;)
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

I think I have another mod conflicting with this because I only have two mods. I removed the other mod so I'll wait a few days and see if that was the problem. I'll report back if there is a mod incompatibility.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Swanny wrote: I think I have another mod conflicting with this because I only have two mods. I removed the other mod so I'll wait a few days and see if that was the problem. I'll report back if there is a mod incompatibility.

What other mod is installed? I can check if it is conflicting just by looking at the install file. :)
DooMAD

Post by DooMAD »

Ah, crap, that didn't last long. 5 new ones today, just without a website or signature. I considered asking about extending the mod to include other fields like ICQ, location, occupation and interests, since none of them are actually needed during registration, but one of the bots didn't fill in any of them, so it would have still got through.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

DooMAD wrote: Ah, crap, that didn't last long. 5 new ones today, just without a website or signature. I considered asking about extending the mod to include other fields like ICQ, location, occupation and interests, since none of them are actually needed during registration, but one of the bots didn't fill in any of them, so it would have still got through.

Actually, I have a mod that does that already if you are interested. 8)
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=399374

It is quite a bit more complex though(adminCP interface and everything). :)

I am hoping to get a chance to update the Anti-Spam ACP this week. I have a few bigger things I wanted to change. :)
True Crime Fanatic

Thank you!

Post by True Crime Fanatic »

Thank you!
Teraisa J. Rogers
True Crime Fanatic
http://TrueCrimeFanatic.com
tdtime

Post by tdtime »

I just tried this mod and it has now caused folks to not be able to register. The page just reloads with a new visual code thing for them to type in, over and over.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

tdtime wrote: I just tried this mod and it has now caused folks to not be able to register. The page just reloads with a new visual code thing for them to type in, over and over.

Recheck over all the changes you made and make sure they are in the correct place.

What version of phpbb do you have? Do you have any other mods installed(if so, name them)?
bzarras

Post by bzarras »

OK, I unzipped everything OK, but I have a .mod file, what do I do with it? I'm not familiar with that file format.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”