[2.0.20] registration disable website signature

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
65%
Very Good
12%
Good
8%
Fair
6%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 49

Welshcat

Re: [2.0.20] registration disable website signature

Post by Welshcat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Well I installed the mod with the birthday field modifications to prevent bots from still entering information into that field. However, to my horror, this morning I found that a bot still managed to register with that field filled in anyway. This particular bot always shows that has never activated itself as a member yet it seemed to be able to bypass this defence and enter in a value, even though you should only be able to do that if you activate your membership and then come and fill that in later on.

Incidentally, I have the myprofile space mod installed on my forum. Therefore every new registrant should always have a myprofile space-style profile as soon as they register. This is a screenshot of how the profile (myprofile space) of normal users or even human spammers etc would look on my forum:

However, this bot always has the old profile style. This screenshot here shows how the profiles appear whenever the bot registers. It's always exactly the same pattern:

As you can see, the birthday field is always filled in. This causes headaches later because all of these spammers' birthdays appear at the bottom of the forum en masse and the profiles have to be amended each day. However, the bots never fill in the website and signature fields as these are hidden too. The question of course arises as to what is the incentive for the bots to keep registering if the website or signature fields never show up and they haven't even filled them in? Are they just registering for the sake of inputting their birthdays? Surely if they can bypass all of these mods then wouldn't they at least post some links in the website and signature fields rather than just filling in their date of birth?

How could this bot still register and fill in the birthday field? I thought they should have been stopped, just in the same way that they should be prevented from filling in other fields (eg ICQ, location, interests etc as mentioned previously in this thread where people also wanted those fields hidden and bots unable to register if they filled them in).

Please help. I thought this had finally solved the problem but now I find that I'm back at square one (yet again).

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:43 pm

You obviously have issues with your includes/usercp_register.php file....if you like post a text link to it (open the file save it as whatever.txt, upload to your forum and post a link to it) and I will have a look at it for you.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Welshcat

Post by Welshcat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:33 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:You obviously have issues with your includes/usercp_register.php file....if you like post a text link to it (open the file save it as whatever.txt, upload to your forum and post a link to it) and I will have a look at it for you.
Thank you. The link to the usercp_register.php text is here:

http://www.siberiansiren.com/usercp_register.txt

I also added the part of this mod to stop bots from entering their ICQ numbers too, but nevertheless, the bot still managed to register with its ICQ number when it shouldn't even be able to get through. :evil:

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Give this one a try.

Backup your current one first though before overwriting.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer

Welshcat

Post by Welshcat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:59 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:Give this one a try.

Backup your current one first though before overwriting.
Ok i'll try that thanks. What did you alter on it, just so i know if it affects any other mods?

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Use winmerge in my sig to see the differences.

Welshcat

Post by Welshcat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:57 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:Use winmerge in my sig to see the differences.
Well the modifications you made still didn't stop the bots registering. The bot can still register with its birthday and ICQ number in the profile. :(

I don't understand why it isn't stopping them from registering in the first place?

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Please try the file again, I made one small adjustment but see no reason why it would allow anyone to register if those fields are not blank. Can you unhide those fields in the tpl and test to see what is happening?

Is this getting off topic?

Welshcat

Post by Welshcat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:00 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:Please try the file again, I made one small adjustment but see no reason why it would allow anyone to register if those fields are not blank. Can you unhide those fields in the tpl and test to see what is happening?

Is this getting off topic?
I don't think it's off topic because while this mod relates specifically to website and signature fields, the wider context of it is about hiding any field and whether bots can still manage to register even if they try to fill those in. I hid the ICQ section too using the instructions specified on around p.16 of this thread and the bot still managed to fill that in. This particular bot can even register under usernames (eg "Doctor" and all variations of it) and email addresses/hosts that I have specifically banned and can use banned words.

This is really annoying because it seems as if I'm permanently at the mercy of these bots no matter what I try.

crashfirephoenix

Post by crashfirephoenix » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 pm

hey, would you be able to edit this so that it works with phpbb 3.0.1? :)
Last edited by crashfirephoenix on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:49 pm

Do you know what this mod does? Have you ever used phpBB3?

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:57 pm

You should probably note that this is a phpBB2 MOD, and that the registration page on phpBB3 doesn't even have the website fields (or any of the other profile fields) available in the stock download package. ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

crashfirephoenix

Post by crashfirephoenix » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:07 am

my bad. client asked me so I decided to ask here. I guess I should have checked out the register form for phpbb3 first :P

rkayw

Post by rkayw » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:56 am

for some reason I can't view the movie clip in the Mod download.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 am

That is because it is not a movie clip. Open it with Notepad.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”