Page 1 of 21

[2.0.20] registration disable website signature

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:47 pm
by Extensions Robot
MOD Name: registration disable website signature
Author: EXreaction
MOD Description: When a user registers the website and signature sections are hidden. If they enter in anything in the hidden fields(only a bot would do that) they are denied from registration and if you turned the IP ban on, their IP Address is automatically banned.

MOD Version: 1.1.11 (Updated 05/19/06)

Download File: registration disable website signature 1.1.11a.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 6300 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:57 am
by TerraFrost
MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Hides the signature and/or website fields from the registration page.

Technically, they can still be submitted, but the only registrants likely to submit that kind of data when the fields aren't visible are bots, and Visual Confirmation can take care of them.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:01 pm
by EXreaction
Hope you guys like it! :D

ScreenShot here:
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=Unt ... 163720.png
(that is during registration...when you edit it by hitting the profile button, it is the way it normally is)



Known incompatibilitys/problems:
Anti-Spam ACP
Anti-spam bots registration
(pretty much anything that adds switches over the website and signature field)


If you notice any other mods that are incompatible with this mod, please report it to me...I will try to find a way to fix it, and tell everyone what it is. Thanks. :)

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:08 pm
by Romario737
Well guys... simple question. Can anybody tell me if there is a MOD that does not add a new user to Memberlist until this person activates his account? I am sick and tired to clean this sh^^ every week. Bots just register (with, or without www-link -- this does not matter), and never activate their account.
Thanx in advance!

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:26 pm
by CharlieSummers
Romario737 wrote: Can anybody tell me if there is a MOD that does not add a new user to Memberlist until this person activates his account?


That would be seriuosly cool, and I admit I'm a little surprised it doesn't work that way by design...I don't mind occasionally running through and deleting non-activated accounts, but it is frustrating to have to check daily for those moron spammers who submit solely to get their website in the search engines.

I vaguely remember a mod (or perhaps just discussion of a mod) similar to this one that disabled the ability to input the user URL until after the user was registered and made an initial posting. I searched, but couldn't find it. I don't want to disable user URLs completely, I only want to make sure the only people who may have user URLs aren't advertising little blue pills or pr0n, you know?

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:26 pm
by EXreaction
Romario737 wrote: Well guys... simple question. Can anybody tell me if there is a MOD that does not add a new user to Memberlist until this person activates his account? I am sick and tired to clean this sh^^ every week. Bots just register (with, or without www-link -- this does not matter), and never activate their account.
Thanx in advance!


I believe there is, but this isn't the proper place to ask that question. ;)

Try the mods search
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/mod_search.php

Or look for it yourself in the mods database
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?db=1

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:31 pm
by EXreaction
CharlieSummers wrote: I vaguely remember a mod (or perhaps just discussion of a mod) similar to this one that disabled the ability to input the user URL until after the user was registered and made an initial posting. I searched, but couldn't find it. I don't want to disable user URLs completely, I only want to make sure the only people who may have user URLs aren't advertising little blue pills or pr0n, you know?


That is basically what this will do...so far it only hides it, but in a few days(I am currently working on upgrading my site) I will add some more so the fields will be blanked out when they submit it if they are registering...and I could make it so that they have to post atleast once too...but I don't think that is necessary...

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:07 am
by mamba
Romario737 wrote: Well guys... simple question. Can anybody tell me if there is a MOD that does not add a new user to Memberlist until this person activates his account? I am sick and tired to clean this sh^^ every week. Bots just register (with, or without www-link -- this does not matter), and never activate their account.
Thanx in advance!


Real people also register and never activate. I use this code to clean up the user file now and then:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=298724

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:20 am
by mamba
I'm trying this MOD (in conjunction with the Visual Confirmation code that no longer seems to stop pr0n registrations) and I'll report back if it works.

It struck me that the pr0n people, and maybe even bots, may start dropping their URLs into the other visible fields
(i.e
ICQ Number:
AIM Address:
MSN Messenger:
Yahoo Messenger:
Website:
Location:
Occupation:
Interests:
)

Anyone else see this hole?

I'm wondering whether to put the logged-in switch around all these fields as a unit rather than only the website and signature. Easy enough to do.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:02 am
by EXreaction
mamba wrote:
Romario737 wrote:Well guys... simple question. Can anybody tell me if there is a MOD that does not add a new user to Memberlist until this person activates his account? I am sick and tired to clean this sh^^ every week. Bots just register (with, or without www-link -- this does not matter), and never activate their account.
Thanx in advance!


Real people also register and never activate. I use this code to clean up the user file now and then:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=298724


Nice...you should make that into a mod...so there is a button in the adminCP...have it get a list of the users who are spammers and have it display that...then put checkboxes that are checked by default which asks you if you want to delete them... It would be sweet! :D
mamba wrote: I'm trying this MOD (in conjunction with the Visual Confirmation code that no longer seems to stop pr0n registrations) and I'll report back if it works.

It struck me that the pr0n people, and maybe even bots, may start dropping their URLs into the other visible fields
(i.e
ICQ Number:
AIM Address:
MSN Messenger:
Yahoo Messenger:
Website:
Location:
Occupation:
Interests:
)

Anyone else see this hole?

I'm wondering whether to put the logged-in switch around all these fields as a unit rather than only the website and signature. Easy enough to do.


Ya, that is what I did on my website...but I haven't found any that add in links in other sections yet. :)

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:47 am
by mamba
So far so good. No porn bastards in the last few days.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:26 pm
by noth
mamba wrote: I'm trying this MOD (in conjunction with the Visual Confirmation code that no longer seems to stop pr0n registrations)


eeerrrrr Visual Confirmation code that no longer seems to stop pr0n registrations 8O

wait up Visual Conformation that no longer seems to stop pr)n reg?

ooops, I think we have a problem Houston

:evil: jees that day has finally come

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:33 pm
by EXreaction
Ya, it seems a few get by our visual confirmation once in a while too...

I uploaded 1.0.2 yesturday...and that makes it so that even if they do enter in something in the sig/website section while they register, it is blanked out...

(its easy to upgrade to...so don't worry about that...you already did half the work then)

8)

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:00 pm
by mamba
Downloading the MOD I still see only 1.0.1 :?:

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:05 pm
by EXreaction
Yep, they have not validated it yet...it should be validated within a few days...