Smartfeed

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
76%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 50

daza

Post by daza »

MarkDHamill -

I just want to say thanks for this great MOD and the consistent support you provide for it. I am also very glad to see my suggestion about "last posts first" made it into a version. I am currently using 1.0.4 and will upgrade now.

Cheers!

nibblers

authentication?

Post by nibblers »

Hi-

There was talk about authentication with a username and passowrd, and I think i can remember hearing there simply wasnt a feeder that supported it. I was poking around feedreader and see an option for user/pass whn i right click>edit feed.

Can this be utilized? Am I confused? :D

Thanks again for the best phpbb MOD ever.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The current version of Smartfeed supports authentication. The u and p parameters must be supplied to access protected forums and if they do not match then protected forums cannot be accessed. In addition there is a feature that allows the generated URL to only be used from a particular range of IPs, further enhancing security.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

nibblers

Post by nibblers »

Can you define protected forums? I can clean my cache and cookies after logging out of forum, and by simply using my URL-I can draw all forums with no u/p -

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

A protected forum is a private or hidden forum which non-registered users cannot read, and can include forums for which you have to belong to a user group.

prongs_386

Post by prongs_386 »

hi, Im new to this feeds thing.

What I am looking for and not sure whether this does it or not, is a scrolling box on the side of my forum (overall_footer.tpl) which will contain the latest posts.

I installed the mod and generated an url with RSS but when i linked to it on the site it didnt have anything showing. I am using firefox.
please help.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

This won't do that, although some people have figured out ways to use RSS mods like this one to do what you want. It is much more efficient to use some non RSS mod.

Off hand I don't know of a mod that does what you want in the footer.

sceltic

Post by sceltic »

This is a good mod, but can it be adjusted to do just topic titles

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I think that would defeat the purpose behind a newsfeed, which is to show content. Arguably a list of titles is not content, but the posts are the content.

I am sure it could be hacked to do it, but I won't be doing it.

DynoGT

Post by DynoGT »

Hey Mark,

I just installed this last night and I was able to create a Live Bookmark in FF, but how do I create a link for the regular RSS for IE?

Thanks

Fridmarr

Post by Fridmarr »

Has anyone had any luck using this mod with the Plus version of phpbb? When I click on the Generate URL button I get a few Javascript errors, mostly "object expected" stuff.

EDIT: I also noticed that if I'm not logged in, it works fine.

Fridmarr

Post by Fridmarr »

I've done some playing with the javascript, and I noticed that the primary problem is a syntax error on the page rendering. There is a section that looks like

Code: Select all

//    //if (document.news.ip_auth[0].checked == true)
{
  url = url  + "a string value";
}
The same thing happens a few lines later with the remove_yours check, the IF statement is commented out, but the following statement block is not.

Basically I simply uncommented out the IF statement and I can get it to generate the url. Any idea why the javascript is being generated like that?

ppcsurfr

Post by ppcsurfr »

MarkDHamill wrote: Not yet, but this sounds like a feature that I should add in a subsequent version.

phpBB itself converts the post time to your local timezone based on your profile. That is why it matches your clock. phpBB stores posts date times I believe in Universal Time. The +8 hours that you are seeing is your board's offset from GMT set in the Administrator Control Panel. Without using localization in a profile, the simplest way was simply to report all posts in the board time zone.

I would settle for a correct time stamp even if included the offset.

If ou'll see my previous post, my actual post which already converts it to my timezone shows that the post was made at Posted: 25 Aug 2006 02:20 am my local time. The correct universal time with offset should have shown as 24 August 18:20 pm GMT +0800 in the Smartfeed result, but it shows this instead.

<description><em>ppcsurfr</em> wrote at <em>24 Aug 2006 11:20 AM GMT + 8 Hours</em>
It shows two converted times... first, the time as it is posted in Smartfeed and the second, hidden in the XML as published date.

I'm experiencing double time conversions. Is there a way to fix this?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Fridmarr wrote: I've done some playing with the javascript, and I noticed that the primary problem is a syntax error on the page rendering. There is a section that looks like

//    //if (document.news.ip_auth[0].checked == true)
{
  url = url  + "a string value";
}
The same thing happens a few lines later with the remove_yours check, the IF statement is commented out, but the following statement block is not.

Basically I simply uncommented out the IF statement and I can get it to generate the url. Any idea why the javascript is being generated like that?

Hmm, unless I inadvertently put it that way when I packaged it up, I'm not sure why this is happening.

I keep my most current version at this URL and I don't see it there:

http://www.potomactavern.org/tavern/smartfeed.zip

Update, my code at this point in smartfeed_url_body.tpl is:

if (logged_in)
			{
				url = url + "u={USER_ID}";
				// <!-- BEGIN switch_required_ip_authentication -->
				url = url + "&p={PWD_WITH_IP}";
				// <!-- END switch_required_ip_authentication -->
				// <!-- BEGIN switch_no_required_ip_authentication -->
				if (document.news.ip_auth[0].checked == true)
				{
					url = url + "&p={PWD_WITH_IP}";
				}
				else
				{
					url = url + "&p={PWD}";
				}
				// <!-- END switch_no_required_ip_authentication -->
				if (document.news.remove_yours[0].checked == true)
				{
					url = url + "&removemine=1";
				}
			}
What is happening is that the Javascript will render differently depending on whether you are logged in or not and whether IP authentication is desired or not, since I am using the template technology to show code only in certain conditions. The URL syntax is different depending on whether you are logged in or now.

The switch is set by this code in smartfeed_url.php:

if (!$userdata['session_logged_in'])
{
	$template->assign_block_vars('switch_not_logged_in', array());
	$template->assign_vars(array('NOT_LOGGED_IN_MSG' => $lang['smartfeed_not_logged_in']));
}
else
{
	$template->assign_block_vars('switch_logged_in', array());
	$template->assign_vars(array('L_LASTVISIT' => $lang['smartfeed_lastvisit'],
		'L_IP_AUTHENTICATION' => $lang['smartfeed_ip_auth']));
	if (SMARTFEED_REQUIRE_IP_AUTHENTICATION == false)
	{
		$template->assign_block_vars('switch_no_required_ip_authentication', array());	
	}
	else
	{
		$template->assign_block_vars('switch_required_ip_authentication', array());	
	}
Last edited by MarkDHamill on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

DynoGT wrote: Hey Mark,

I just installed this last night and I was able to create a Live Bookmark in FF, but how do I create a link for the regular RSS for IE?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean. smartfeed_url.php gives you a URL to use. In IE if you want to save this URL as a bookmark, copy and paste it into the URL field and bring it up, then select Favorites -> Add to Favorites.

IE 6.0 has no live bookmark feature, but I understand the next version which should be out soon will have impressive RSS capabilities. I have not tested it in IE 7.0 beta.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”