Smartfeed

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
76%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 50

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

janesjo wrote: Hi

According to the log:
"2006-03-01 - Version 1.0.2
## - Changed one line of SQL in smartfeed.php which might cause a problem for those not using MySQL"

My problem is that i wanna make this mod work correctly with MSSQL. Under MSSQL u can't get access to private forums. Can u please give me some pointers?

Great mod btw :-)

/Cheers

It should work fine under the latest version, although I did not try it specifically with MSSQL since I don't have it installed. I kept the SQL very generic and moved the time logic out of the SQL (where it was done by MySQL functions) into PHP.

The current version is 1.0.4. If necessary you can get it from my web site at:

http://www.potomactavern.org/tavern/smartfeed.zip

To subscribe to private forums you must be logged in and actually have privileges to private forums, otherwise they will not appear. This should not be a problem with MySQL.

richey

Post by richey »

Hello,

to the writers above (regarding "how to use the newsfeed": there is a great intro on enabling RSS feeds in Firefox without any extension at http://johnbokma.com/firefox/rss-and-li ... marks.html .

I have a question myself: how can I create an XML file (like index.rss), valid for all users (I don't have special usergroups except one for moderators) to put it in the main directory of my board?
I tried the URL generator but it seems to generate a user-dependent URL and XML file. My goal would be that users can easily add the feed to their browser as a Live Bookmark by clicking the related icon in the Firefox adress bar. I would like to preconfigure it user-independent like to show up all entries of the last 48 hours, and if a user wants it to match his last board login date, he would have to create his own using the interface. Is there a way for that?

thanks....

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Smartfeed_url.php is the user interface program. To do what you would like done would probably require a special program, since most of the URL logic is actually in Javascript.

Can be done, but this is pretty complex so it is not high on my priorities list. I can be bribed, however. :wink:

richey

Post by richey »

after I posted this question, I wasn't sure if it was an intelligent one.

Wouldn't the solution for my problem be to create the URL & related XML file when not being logged in and then storing this as index.rss on the server? Of course, then the user would always just see the 'general' forums and my preconfigured fetch time (like 24 hrs).

edit: I'm completely confused now: how can I actually create a 'basic' XML/RSS file for my board so that Firefox will nicely offer to add a Live Bookmark when the user clicks on the related icon???? I found that when I create it by pasting the URL from smartfeed_url.php in the browser, it contains the related entries of the board.... I seem to mix something up here... :?

richey

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Yes, it's easy enough to use smartfeed_url.php while logged out to create a URL that will advertise all your public forums as an RSS feed.

I might add there are other RSS mods for phpBB which do similar things. Mine has more features and allows authenticated access to private or protected forums.

Anyhow, once you have created the URL, it's easy to advertise it. You have to add a <link> tag to your board. The easiest way to do this is to edit overall_header.tpl in the /templates folder. For example on my board it looks like this:

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS" href="http://www.potomactavern.org/rss.php" />
Place it after the <title> tag.

I would suggest though to have Smartfeed generate a URL that returns RSS instead of Atom newfeed format.

You will change the href value to have the value generated by Smartfeed.

wwwench

Smartfeed

Post by wwwench »

I had "weirdness" issues getting valid feed URI's with my 2.0.20 forum running in PHP Version 5.1.2-1-MySQL version 5.0.19 setup.

But when under PHP Version 4.3.9 - MySQL 4.0.25 it was oki.

TY for the mod.
-there is no place like 127.0.0.1-

Jimerson

Post by Jimerson »

Great release.

Thanks so much :)

-Jim

MarkDHamill

Re: Smartfeed

Post by MarkDHamill »

wwwench wrote: I had "weirdness" issues getting valid feed URI's with my 2.0.20 forum running in PHP Version 5.1.2-1-MySQL version 5.0.19 setup.

But when under PHP Version 4.3.9 - MySQL 4.0.25 it was oki.

TY for the mod.

Yeah, I think some of the bugs that have been reported are due to this. The PHP libraries for MySQL 5.0 are different, obviously, and some of the underlying names of the calls are different too. This makes mysql4.php and mysql.php somewhat incompatable. Presumably some future release of phpBB will handle MySQL 5.0 better.

wonko the sane

Post by wonko the sane »

This is a great mod.

It lacks some of the features of topics_anywhere (what happened to that btw? Its dropped off this site?!?) but makes up for it with great other features!

Im trying to figure out how to remove the '(reply)' on the end and the forum name which is displayed in the feed - anyone know?

Also it would be cool to have a way to limit the number of posts :)

dkinzer

Post by dkinzer »

I installed this mod on my forum and ran into a couple of problems. The origin of the problem is that my phpBB configuration file is not named config.php and is not located in the phpBB forum directory. In my common.php, I have modified the include for the configuration file so that the forum works correctly.

Anyway. at line 178 of smartfeed_ur.php and at line 138 of smartfeed.php the code reads:

Code: Select all

include($phpbb_root_path . 'config.'.$phpEx);
I don't think that these lines are necessary since common.php has been included much earlier in the file and, consequently, the configuration file has already been read. Anyway, I just commented out these two lines and the PHP code executes with no problems.

That said, I can't seem to get the generated URL to work with Feedreader 3.0. I am a total novice when it comes to RSS so I may be doing something wrong. Here is the URL for my forum's SmartFeed.

[Update] If the generated URL contains a limit specification like "limit=6%20HOUR", then when I attempt to use the generated URL I get a message from smartfeed.php that says:
There is an error in the URL you used to retrieve this newsfeed. As a result, no content can be returned. Use this error information as a guide to correcting the problem. Please note that you must use <a href="http://zbasic.net/forum/smartfeed_url.php">this program</a> to create a URL that can be used with SmartFeed. The error is: Limit parameter is not a recognized value.
Don Kinzer
ZBasic Microcontrollers
http://www.zbasic.net

richey

Post by richey »

Hello,

another question - sorry to be a pain in your neck.

Is there a way to avoid being replies listed several times?
I get huge lists displayed every day in a quite active board, and sometimes one third of the pulldown list of the "Live Bookmark" is just filled by the numerious replies to ONE topic ... :?

thanks!

jokieman31

Post by jokieman31 »

wonko the sane wrote: This is a great mod.

It lacks some of the features of topics_anywhere (what happened to that btw? Its dropped off this site?!?) but makes up for it with great other features!

Im trying to figure out how to remove the '(reply)' on the end and the forum name which is displayed in the feed - anyone know?

Also it would be cool to have a way to limit the number of posts :)

Actually I think the only way to limit the number of posts would be to have the script process each and every post entirely which could cause quite a bit of load on your server if it has to pull 300 messages, process them all, and post them in the news reader as opposed to just pulling the subject title as a link and giving your members the option to view the forum post on your forum. IMO the way it is now is the better way to go I think unless you have a lot of bandwidth available. Probably less complicated too.

The only complaint I have isn't with this mod at all (great mod, and supported too, that's a big plus.) it's with PHPBB having an inability to parse content for Mobile devices. If that could be added as a standard feature for PHPBB, then a mod like this would become one of the most popular.

Imagine being able to surf your forums from your PDA or WAP enabled cell phone. hehe.

Although I do agree about removing the reply. Might be something we can do on our own, I really haven't had time to sit down with the code like I want to but I think I will in the next couple of days.

Below is the reply I pulled from the beta thread and moved over here:
From what I've seen and read Adsense is probably the most popular. There's a couple different ways adsense is being used for the forums currently. the most popular way seems to be displaying an ad block below the first post. In a feed, if it can be done I'd guess top or bottom would be more than sufficient. I'd probably run it at the bottom, but some might like it at the top.

Not really seeing a difference. Whether it's 1 word, 10, or 50, it seems to be pulling the same amount of information. Perhaps it's my news reader.

In any case after playing with your feed it looks like most news readers only pull the topic title and link back to the actual message anyway regardless of whether or not you ask to pull the entire message, which is all that I think is needed. I tried it with myyahoo using RSS2.0 and got the same effect as I did with newsfox. Pulls the topic titles as links which is cool.

Thanks for looking into it.

jokieman31

Post by jokieman31 »

richey wrote: Hello,

another question - sorry to be a pain in your neck.

Is there a way to avoid being replies listed several times?
I get huge lists displayed every day in a quite active board, and sometimes one third of the pulldown list of the "Live Bookmark" is just filled by the numerious replies to ONE topic ... :?

thanks!

Maybe someone could write a bit of code to filter out more than a single reply to that topic. Could get hairy though because the reply subjects can change from post to post.

richey

Post by richey »

Hi,

this is really not a 'hot topic' (like the one above on limiting the listed items :wink: ), just wanted to let you know:

when I check the resulting RSS file at feedvalidator.org, I get numerous warning messages (most of them related to missing or incorrect header meta tags and too much overhead in the <description> tags).

I will try to figure out how to fix this.

richey

Post by richey »

jokieman31 wrote: Could get hairy though because the reply subjects can change from post to post.

yes, I think they should be sorted out based on the thread number of the individual entry to be listed.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”