Smartfeed

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
76%
Very Good
14%
Good
10%
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 50

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

See my private message.

To the rest: I hope to have a new version out within a week. Testing it now. New features:

Code: Select all

##	 2006-05-08 - Version 1.0.5
##		- "Category Order, Forum Order, Forum Topic Last Post Time (Desc) Topic Post Date/Time" is now called Standard Order
##		- Added two new sort types, "Standard Order, Last Posts First" and "Post Date/Time, Last Post First". In "Post Date/Time, Last Post First"
##		  you can also select the maximum number of posts to return. (It is difficult to make this logic work for the other sort types, given the
##		  limitations of SQL, so the field is hidden for other sort types.)
##		- Item title now includes author name when the post subject is left blank. This helps distinguish posts in the newsreader since most will
##		  have the same post subject.
##		- You can specify the maximum number of words per post to appear in the newsfeed. This is not recommended, however, as it may lead to
##		  validation warnings or even errors, due to poorly formatted and embedded HTML in the feed.
##		- The board administrator can require IP authentication for all users. This is done by changing this line in /includes/smartfeed_constants.php to true:
##			define('SMARTFEED_REQUIRE_IP_AUTHENTICATION', false); 
##		- Warning: if IP authentication is turned on, it is possible that a feed error will occur if the reader previously had turned that off. This can be fixed
##			by each reader rerunning smartfeed_url.php and copying the new URL into their newsreader.
##		- You can change how how the time of the post appears in the feed item by changing this line in /includes/smartfeed_constants.php:
##			define('SMARTFEED_DATE_FORMAT', 'd M Y h:i A '); 
##		- A Dutch translation is now available, thanks to Nic Mertens <nicmertens@telenet.be>, and is included. 
Anyone who wants to Beta test it for me can do it here:

http://www.potomactavern.org/smartfeed_url.php

Leave comments here.

If you want to see it as a regular user, log in as "smartfeed" with the password "smartfeed".

The forced IP authentication is hard to test though unless I enable it in my configuration file, which I don't plan to do.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Hi. A new reasonably well tested version of Smartfeed (Version 1.0.5) is now available for download at the URL below only. It includes all the features in the previous post, plus it displays the version number of Smartfeed in the feed and in smartfeed_url.php.

I'll wait a week or so before asking them to update the mod number here. That process can take weeks anyhow.

Download from:

http://www.potomactavern.org/tavern/smartfeed.zip

Please note that if you decide to require IP authentication that those who have URLs created without IP authentication will not be able to get a feed. They will get an error message in the feed telling them to recreate the URL by invoking smartfeed_url.php.

Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

I installed the mod on my forum, and I ran into a couple of problems. Most serious seems to be this one. When I generate the URL and place it in a browser, I get these SQL errors:

Warning: mysql_free_result(): 23 is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/db/mysql4.php on line 318

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/db/mysql4.php:318) in /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/smartfeed.php on line 655

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/db/mysql4.php:318) in /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/smartfeed.php on line 656

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/db/mysql4.php:318) in /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/smartfeed.php on line 577

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/db/mysql4.php:318) in /home/domain/public_html/bulletin/includes/feedcreator.class.php on line 420
It's recommended that members review our guidelines: http://www..com http://www.mydomain.com/bulletin/smartfeed.php?feed_type=ATOM1.0&limit=LF&sort_by=standard 2006-05-13T16:08:43-05:00 SmartFeed phpBB Modification (mhamill@computer.org) 
Is this an incompatibility issue? I am still running 2.0.17

Thanks,
AC
Last edited by Alphacarbon on Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

For the first problem, comment out all the lines in smartfeed.php. Change this:

$db->sql_freeresult ($result);
to this:

//$db->sql_freeresult ($result);
Others have reported this problem. I haven't been able to confirm what is happening, but I think it is a problem with using MySQL 5.0 with phpBB. I'd be curious to know what version of MySQL you are using.

This was developed to version 2.0.20. I would think it would work under 2.0.17, but I have not tested it. I am surprised to see error messages like this from smartfeed.php. Do you have other mods installed? Usually the root problems for these conflicts are mod conflicts.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

On the MySQL 5.0 issue, I did find this topic:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=352966

In phpBB 2.0.19 some changes were made to support MySQL 5.0, although I don't know what they were:
[Fix] changes to support MySQL 5.0

So it may not be a bad idea to upgrade to the latest installation of phpBB and see if it solves the MySQL problems, i.e. if you are using MySQL 5.0. If it does, let me know.

Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

My cpanel says that my SQL is 4.1.19-standard.

I think upgrading my phpbb will be the best thing to do. Unfortunately, my phpbb is heavily moded, and it is going to be hell for me to upgrade it.

Wouldnt commenting out that line cause any problems elsewhere?

Thanks,
AC

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

No, go ahead and try commenting out those lines. What I wrote was the proper way to do things however MySQL will free query results anyhow when the next query is executed.

Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

Hello again,

I commented out the lines, but the results were not being updated.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I imagine the warning messages have changed. Yes, you probably either want to upgrade phpBB or use a different RSS mod.

If you find updating phpBB daunting, consider using a tool like WinMerge.

http://winmerge.sourceforge.net

I find using WinMerge along with tool that integrates FTP into Windows like Webdrive makes upgrading a lot less painful.

Wernher

Post by Wernher »

Dit XML-bestand lijkt geen geassocieerde stijlinformatie te hebben. De documentboom wordt hieronder getoond.

<!--
generator="SmartFeed phpBB Modification (mhamill@computer.org)"
-->

<rss version="2.0">

<channel>
<title>PSPSMM</title>
<description>SMM unOfficial site - PSP Community - PSPSMM</description>
<link>http://www.pspsmm.com/smartfeed.php</link>
<lastBuildDate>Mon, 15 May 2006 01:41:15 +0000</lastBuildDate>

<generator>
SmartFeed phpBB Modification (mhamill@computer.org)
</generator>
<language>en-US</language>
<pubDate>Sun, 14 May 2006 23:41:15 +0000</pubDate>
<ttl>60</ttl>

<item>
<title>Error in your SmartFeed URL</title>
<link>http://www.pspsmm.com/smartfeed.php</link>

<description>
There is an error in the URL you used to retrieve this newsfeed. As a result, no content can be returned. Use this error information as a guide to correcting the problem. Please note that you must use <a href="http://www.pspsmm.com/smartfeed_url.php">this program</a> to create a URL that can be used with SmartFeed. The error is: Unable to retrieve information from database to create newsfeed.
</description>
</item>
</channel>
</rss>

i get that in FF and i didnt downloaded the version you posted in you last post, how can i solve it? my url is www.pspsmm.com

edit;

it doesnt work anymore when using show only topics, the rest is working fine but i just wanted to use that function :(

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The error is in the newsfeed:
Unable to retrieve information from database to create newsfeed.

This only happens if a database error of some kind occurs, such as bad SQL or inability to connect to the database. This is quite unusual. Unless you modified phpBB to remove tables or columns it is hard to see how this could be a result of the SQL I used.

Looking at your site, it looks like you are using some type of portal with a phpBB integration. That is likely the problem. This modification was developed assuming a pure phpBB 2.0.20 environment.

Wernher

Post by Wernher »

thats bad :( but can someone give me a link to a mod wich only lists the news on ezportal?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I don't think you will find many mods here that are specifically for ezportal. This is a phpBB site.

Wernher

Post by Wernher »

i hope there is a mod for it, there are many people using it

Kalipo

Post by Kalipo »

Looking at your site, it looks like you are using some type of portal with a phpBB integration. That is likely the problem. This modification was developed assuming a pure phpBB 2.0.20 environment.

ezportal isn't a true CMS, rather an addtional page that resembles one. No db changes/additons are made while using it. For all intents & purposes, it's still a pure phpBB.
can someone give me a link to a mod wich only lists the news on ezportal?

RSS your own site in a block on your ezportal?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”