[2.0.20] Annual Stars

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
71%
Very Good
21%
Good
7%
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 14

green-goblin

Post by green-goblin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:48 pm

Works great, thanks.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:40 pm

You're welcome. :-)

BTW, if anyone has graphics that would work with this MOD and wants me to host them, I am happy to do so. Simply provide a link to the graphics either in this topic or via PM and I will download them, host them on my server, and update my first post in this topic with a link.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

groovez

Post by groovez » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:07 pm

im just not able to install this mod i think

and i really want it

my viewtopic file and tpl are both changed by another mod
and it doesnt even look like it was anymore, i just cant figure it out :s

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:54 am

They should not have changed that much, I don't think. The changes for this MOD are fairly minor. If you have a specific question (but do not post your entire "viewtopic.php" file or I will ignore you forever :-)) give it a shot.

groovez

Post by groovez » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:32 am

sorry for late reply, but i kinda gave up :)

now im ready to give it another try lol

when i execute the mod with EM
it gives me this error

Code: Select all

Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [viewtopic.php] could not find:

$poster_joined = 

MOD script line #166 :: FAQ :: Report
can find the word "joined" either :/
some &poster commands but nothing that looks like "joined"

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:08 am

On a standard phpBB install (2.0.22) that line is line number 842. The block of code looks like this:

Code: Select all

$poster_from = ( $postrow[$i]['user_from'] && $postrow[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Location'] . ': ' . $postrow[$i]['user_from'] : '';

$poster_joined = ( $postrow[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Joined'] . ': ' . create_date($lang['DATE_FORMAT'], $postrow[$i]['user_regdate'], $board_config['board_timezone']) : '';

$poster_avatar = '';

drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: [2.0.20] Annual Stars

Post by drathbun » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:20 pm

I now have some stars for dark-colored backgrounds that were provided by a user of this MOD. See this post for a download link. I also added a FAQ, although it hardly seems necessary for a MOD this small.

DizzyDazzle

Re:

Post by DizzyDazzle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:49 pm

drathbun wrote: Additional graphics provided:
Download stars for dark background - provided by DizzyDazzle, thanks
You're welcome! And thank you for keep knocking out such great MODs, including this one! 8-)

beggers

Post by beggers » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:18 am

I just installed this and it worked perfectly the first time! I made my own star ( Image ) to match the dark gray background of my site. For a star this small you really don't want to use a transparent image. Make it non-transparent with no aliasing and it will look fine. I used Xara Xtreme for stuff like this. They have standard star images that you can modify.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:04 pm

beggers wrote:For a star this small you really don't want to use a transparent image. Make it non-transparent with no aliasing and it will look fine.
Is there a down-side to having a transparent image? I don't mean to be picky, I'm honestly curious. Graphics are not my best area, and I'm always looking to improve my knowledge in that area.

beggers

Post by beggers » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:49 am

drathbun wrote:
beggers wrote:For a star this small you really don't want to use a transparent image. Make it non-transparent with no aliasing and it will look fine.
Is there a down-side to having a transparent image? I don't mean to be picky, I'm honestly curious. Graphics are not my best area, and I'm always looking to improve my knowledge in that area.
I'm not a graphics expert, either, but I believe that when you make an image with a transparent background, the anti-aliasing tries to blur the edges of the image so that the transition to the background is smoother. This requires more colors, results in a larger image and can create an undesirable "halo" effect around the image. In most cases aliasing looks good, but in small images such as these stars, the edges can become jagged. You can see this in one of the images included with the mod: Image

I also made a different star with a transparent background: Image . It looks okay on this light background but not so good on a darker background - very jagged. I ended up using a star with a fixed gray background. Take a look in my memberlist: http://www.wwe-club.com/phpBB2/memberlist.php

Hopefully one of our local graphics experts can help sort all this out. I guess the main thing is to experiment and see what works best on your color scheme.

I'll tell you one thing, though. Everyone loves this mod!

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks for the explanation, it all makes sense. I certainly realize that using the anti-aliasing creates more colors, but for a graphic this small it didn't seem to matter too much. But on the other hand simple is often better. :) The star that I use is about 965 bytes, and no doubt that could be smaller if it had fewer colors. It appears so frequently that I expect it's cached quite rapidly though.

I'm happy that your members are finding it useful. I'm wondering about an update thought. The oldest board that I manage is over five years old, and so there are folks with 5 stars. I am thinking about having a progression of stars where you get five stars as individual stars and then when you get to Six stars you get one big star + one smaller star. Ten years would be two big stars, something like that. It would be easier to quickly do a "visual count" with 1 big star and 2 little stars than sitting there and counting out 7 smaller stars. Any thoughts from anybody?

beggers

Post by beggers » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:08 pm

drathbun wrote:Thanks for the explanation, it all makes sense. I certainly realize that using the anti-aliasing creates more colors, but for a graphic this small it didn't seem to matter too much. But on the other hand simple is often better. :) The star that I use is about 965 bytes, and no doubt that could be smaller if it had fewer colors. It appears so frequently that I expect it's cached quite rapidly though.

I'm happy that your members are finding it useful. I'm wondering about an update thought. The oldest board that I manage is over five years old, and so there are folks with 5 stars. I am thinking about having a progression of stars where you get five stars as individual stars and then when you get to Six stars you get one big star + one smaller star. Ten years would be two big stars, something like that. It would be easier to quickly do a "visual count" with 1 big star and 2 little stars than sitting there and counting out 7 smaller stars. Any thoughts from anybody?
I think it's perfect the way it is. I think having big and little stars would be confusing. I've got a couple of members with 6 stars and I like the way they look. Well, it might be an issue way down the road if the stars don't wrap and end up widening the template, but I think that was already discussed. Thanks.

bamavamp

Post by bamavamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Since this mod does not work with leap years, does that mean a star will not show up on leap years? 2008 is a leap year, our forum opened in Feb of 2007, so what will the result be if we install this mod and we hit the year mark--will an icon even show or is there a way to fix it?

I have yet to install this mod--I think its a great idea but I wanna know how its gonna work considering this will be our first year and it is a leap year. Thanks!

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:05 am

It's not that it won't work with leap years, it just doesn't attempt to recognize them. What that means is that on a leap year everyone will get their next "annual" star a day earlier. The math is quite simple; it just determines how many full increments of 365 days a member has been a member of your board and displays a star for each increment. With leap years you'll get to 365 days one day earlier, that's all.

It could be made exact with very little work, but to be honest, I believe that it's good enough the way it is. :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”