[2.0.21] User Shield

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
79%
Very Good
12%
Good
6%
Fair
2%
Poor
2%

Total votes: 66

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:54 pm

mobile homeless wrote: Well, I'm back to report that I finally got around to installing User Shield. Your detailed post above was a big help and, ironically enough, I ended up using the advice in the quote instead of going with the manual install

The Easymod instructions were good, especially when combined with your reminders and pointers on the installation. I realized this was the most prudent method and can recommend it highly as a hassle-free approach if you follow the directions, which are near full-proof.

Very very pleased to hear this. :wink:

mobile homeless wrote: The User Shield mod installed without a hitch and was working immediately.

That was the plan. Really glad to see it did work out for you. Often, when using EasyMOD, other problems unrelated to User Shield are all of a sudden revealed, and the majority of user issues that I've dealt with in this thread have been such cases. I din't mention this when you observed:

mobile homeless wrote: I do full backups of my forum but probably not enough. I surely did one the other day before moving from 2.0.20 to .21. I had wanted to install EasyMod but to be honest, some of the problems in full view here left me feeling a bit leery, especially since my forum has been running without a hitch. I just didn't feel like jumping through a cavalcade of problem/error hoops.

... as I believe that my job is not to impose on you one method over another, but rather make sure that you are comfortable with the method you choose.

mobile homeless wrote: One question. Is it possible to make an inactive forum member with quite a few posts, profile visible if a member clicks on it or ventures into the memberlist? I have made him inactive but don't want it to seem like no one can see his profile as he has @3500 posts.

Check your pm's!

mobile homeless wrote: Again, thanks for the effort and the detailed instructions, outlining both the manual and Easymod approach.

You are most welcome and your confirmation does emphasize that with some preliminary work, and even though the installer has no MOD installation experience, it's well within anyone's reach to be successful, regardless of the method.

Best regards,
Wolf

Note: Let me know if the pm answered your request.

Podchef

EM won't work

Post by Podchef » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:56 pm

Hey, I'm trying to install this great sounding mod but EM gives me this critical error:

Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [memberlist.php] could not find:

WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS;

MOD script line #281 :: FAQ :: Report

Any ideas what I need to do to fix this? I'm pretty new to modding but the spammers are killing me.

thanks,

Podchef

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi Podchef,

This is what it's looking for:

Code: Select all

$sql = "SELECT count(*) AS total
		FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
		WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS;
If you look in your memberlist.php around lines 275 to 280, you'll see why it can't find it. Some other MOD or a personal modification changed this line

-- > WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS;

... and that's why EasyMOD can't find it. You have the option of temporarily modifying that line back to it's default syntaxe (as in the code snippet above) and trying again with EasyMOD. Can you post what you have as it may indicate that you have other modified lines elsewhere that you haven't been notified about yet. Are you using EasyMOD's preview feature?

Let me know.

Best regards,
Wolf :wink:

Podchef

Post by Podchef » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 am

Found the offending article:

$sql = "SELECT count(*) AS total
FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS . " AND user_active = 1";

I'm going to change it back and try again.
Not sure which mod altered it.

Thanks.

Podchef

Mod installed

Post by Podchef » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:42 am

Got User Shield installed and without a hitch--I think.

Every thing seems to be working fine and I can't see that anything was broken by my "fix".

Let's hope that between User Shield and some of the other mods both Human and Bot spammers will slow down before they drown my fledgling forum.

Thanks a million.

Wo1f

Re: Mod installed

Post by Wo1f » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:50 pm

Podchef wrote: Every thing seems to be working fine and I can't see that anything was broken by my "fix".

Good news. But I can tell you that you seem to already have in place a MOD that hides "inactive" users, or maybe just a personal mini-hack that was done at some time. Just keep an eye on things and make sure everything works as advertised.

Podchef wrote: Let's hope that between User Shield and some of the other mods both Human and Bot spammers will slow down before they drown my fledgling forum.

Thanks a million.

You are very welcome Podchef and good luck to you. 8)

Best regards,
Wolf

jodeci

Re: Users do not go away

Post by jodeci » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Wo1f wrote: Hi buzz baiter,
buzz baiter wrote:I got the mod installed and everything seems to be normal, however, when I select all inactive users and choose Delete, they do not go away, they still show up in the member list. The mod says, they have been deleted and they no longer show up in the inactive users screen, but they are still members of my forum.

8O err... I have no idea but ... I do have some imagination. Let's give this one a try and see if we can stir up some trouble. :lol:

1] Open this file --> memberlist.php
2] Find this line of code --> WHERE user_id IN ( $cb_ids ) "; <--
3] Replace with this line of code --> WHERE user_id IN' ( $cb_ids ) "; <--
4] Logged in as admin., go to the memberlist "non-actives only" sort filter
5] Select 1 member in the list and delete
6] Make a screen capture of the "General error" message and post it back here
7] Undo the above changes to "memberlist.php"

Are you ok with this? Let me know.

Best regards,

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem and tried the above method. However, regardless of the code twist, there is no error message (both tested with IE/FF). After selecting "deleter user", I am redirected to the full member list instead, and the user is still there.

Another possibly related bug(?) is that the "Non-active only" option via memberlist.php does not work. The full memberlist is returned, not filtered at all.

Thanks in advance!

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:45 pm

Hi jodeci,

1 ] How did you install User Shield?
2 ] Do you have a heavily modded board?
3 ] Have you installed the "Profile Control Panel" MOD or any other MODs that alters memberlist.php?

If you can link me to your "memberlist.php" taking care to rename it "memberlist.txt", I'll look it over. I have to admit that you really have me curious about this one. Unfortunately, "buzz baiter" never came back to me as to how he solved his issue. So I'm still as perplexed as I initially was. :?

Let me know about the above and I'll see what I can do about it.

Best regards,

jodeci

Post by jodeci » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:08 am

Wo1f wrote: 1 ] How did you install User Shield?
2 ] Do you have a heavily modded board?
3 ] Have you installed the "Profile Control Panel" MOD or any other MODs that alters memberlist.php?

Thx Wolf, I'll PM the link to memberlist.txt to you.

1) User Shield was installed manually.
2) I wouldn't say heavy, just a few anti-spam and admin mods.
3) No, I don't have Profile Control Panel, but I did apply WebEngineer's Preventing registration abuse on phpBB technique to memberlist.php, perhaps this is the problem?

skaloumbakas

this is a challenge isn't it?

Post by skaloumbakas » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:41 am

If you are NOT using EasyMOD to install User Shield, you MUST update the CONFIG table by following these instructions:

Remember to change the default TABLE PREFIX in file "update_config_v1_2_1.php" if your board does not use " phpbb_ "
1] Run this file: update_config_v1_2_1.php - located in the install folder off the root of your forum (eg. In your browser URL field, type the following: http://xxx/xxx/install/update_config_v1_2_1.php )

Once done, a message confirming a successful update will be displayed along with a reminder to delete the "install" folder including it's content, before returning to your forum.

#
#-----[ SQL ]
#
# Remember to change the default TABLE PREFIX below if your board does not use " phpbb_ ".
#

INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` (`config_name`, `config_value`)
VALUES ('username_hide_inac', '1');

Dear Wolf,

Instead of running the file, could I enter the SQL order in the BOX (shown in the screen capture of my phpMyAdmin below) and press "Go" ?

And another thing.

Since I am running a very old version, there is a chance that it will fail to comply, WHAT WILL BE THE SQL STRING to uninstall the table?
(Yes, I know, I am many versions back :!: , but it is a heavily modded board and I made some artistic changes to fit my main web-site, so I am very reluctant to update. I like the way it is to be honest :) )

I have already made the changes in the 11 files (in memberlist.php I have found some small differences in what I was supposed to find but, I will give it a try...) and now I am ready to update the database. :roll:

Thanks and congratulations for your MOD and support.

BTW, is your MOD called 'user shield' or 'user stealth' ? :wink:
Last edited by skaloumbakas on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christos Skaloumbakas

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:17 pm

jodeci wrote: Thx Wolf, I'll PM the link to memberlist.txt to you.

3) No, I don't have Profile Control Panel, but I did apply WebEngineer's Preventing registration abuse on phpBB technique to memberlist.php, perhaps this is the problem?

I've got the file and I'm on it. I'm not familiar with the above mentionned MOD, but it's likely that they don't play nice together. Will know in a few.

Wo1f

Re: this is a challenge isn't it?

Post by Wo1f » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi skaloumbakas,
skaloumbakas wrote: Instead of running the file, could I enter the SQL order in the BOX (shown in the screen capture of my phpMyAdmin below) and press "Go" ?

Yes, you certainly can.

skaloumbakas wrote: Since I am running the 2.0.xx version, there is a chance that it will fail to comply, WHAT WILL BE THE SQL STRING to uninstall the table?
(Yes, I know, I am 20 versions back :!: , but it is a heavily modded board and I made some artistic changes to fit my main web-site, so I am very reluctant to update. I like the way it is to be honest :) )

I would have to review the proper syntax to use (good idea as it may come in handy). In the meantime, you could use phpMyAdmin and browse the "_config" table, look for this field --> "username_hide_inac" and click the red x. That should take care of it.

skaloumbakas wrote: I have already made the changes in the 11 files (in memberlist.php I have found some small differences in what I was supposed to find but, I will give it a try...) and now I am ready to update the database. :roll:

You have my best wishes for a succesful install.

skaloumbakas wrote: BTW, is your MOD called 'user shield' or 'user stealth' ? :wink:

:lol: ssshhhhhhh... now everyone is going to notice that I'm a klutz... sometimes. There's actually a little story behind it, and now that you've brought it up, it's going to give me a chance to tell it.

User Shield aka User Stealth aka Hide Username aka Restrict Username has been around for a while. Originally, it was included with another MOD of mine (that's still in the DEV forum as Restrict Username, for a lack of time to properly finish it ... but soon to be finished I might add 8) ). As Restrict Username grew into 2200 + lines of code, I decided to separate them. I was looking for a "descriptive name" for what is now known as User Shield, and had settled on User Stealth. That happened just before this:
MOD history wrote: ## 2006-05-10 Version 1.1.7a
## - Renamed Hide Username to User Shield (Suggested by shakey_1 - Ty!)

I adopted shakey_1's suggestion immediately. And even though someone asking for support in User Shield's development thread mentionned this, I din't correct it right away and completely forgot about it. The funny thing is that I've seen the installation template a thousand times, and still did not see that it was still tagged as User Stealth instead of User Shield. So there you go...

The upcoming major update to User Shield is properly identified as such in the installation template. But, I will have a smaller update available for those who do not want to update to the new version, which will still be tagged as User Stealth in the installation template, in order to avoid inconsequential edits at the risk of some confusion. You also don't need to rub it in as I've banged my head on the keyboard a few times with this one. Yep ... a klutz I tell you... sometimes. :lol:

skaloumbakas wrote: Thanks and congratulations for your MOD and support.

Thank you for the kind words and you are most welcome!

Best regards,
Wolf

Note: Will get back to you with the "sql uninstall string" and check your pm's.

skaloumbakas

Post by skaloumbakas » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks a million for your interest.

I will give it a try and I'll let you know :roll:
Christos Skaloumbakas

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:15 pm

@ jodeci

Allright, your memberlist.php had a few edits out of place and I have adjusted them accordingly. I also tested this file in my User Shield environment (replacing the original) and everything is just fine. Now, I'm not sure about the edits in the other files but as soon as you copy the file back to your server (taking care to rename it properly), we'll find out right away if anything else needs to be adjusted.

You can pick up the file here:
  • Your adjusted memberlist
[/url]

Hope this takes care of your issue, if not just let me know. And if it does, I want to know also! :wink:

Best regards,
Wolf

jodeci

Post by jodeci » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:33 am

Hi Wolf,

I don't know what you did, but whatever it was it works like magic.
Thanks a lot!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”