[2.0.21] User Shield

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
79%
Very Good
12%
Good
6%
Fair
2%
Poor
2%

Total votes: 66

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi Loopz,

I did try to answer your post last night, soon after my reply to bper. The phpBB server wasen't very cooperative though and kept timing out, so I decided to do the same. :lol:
Loopz wrote: I have installed this manually and i get no errors at all but i cant seem to get the mod active. In my ACP i can see the option to enable it (by default on mine its set to NO which is worrying as i read by default it is set to YES). I have enabled the MOD and submitted that but on return to the configuration page, its back to disabled.

The most common explanation for this behavior is when the database update is omitted. If you are absolutely sure that the required database update was done and was successful, then aside a conflict with another MOD, I'm not sure what else might be causing this. There's also the fact that when you switched to the "subSilver" style, you get the same behavior, which points to a common cause. There are 3 files affected by the ACP option, aside the database update:

1 ] admin/admin_board.php
2 ] language/lang_english/lang_admin.php
3 ] templates/yourTemplate/admin/board_config_body.tpl

When not using the "subSilver" style as default, then you have to make sure that the edits required by User Shield for the following 3 files are repeated also for your default template:

1 ] templates/yourTemplate/index_body.tpl --> 3 actions to integrate
2 ] templates/yourTemplate/memberlist_body.tpl --> 4 actions to integrate
3 ] templates/yourTemplate/admin/board_config_body.tpl --> 1 action to integrate

If you would like to review the installation steps, you can refer to this recent reply in this thread (if need be):
  • How do I install User Shield
[/url]

Conclusion... I would triple check the edits affecting the first 3 mentionned files, and then triple check the required edits affecting the second 3 mentionned files which are specific to your non-subSilver default style. If you are still faced with the same problem, have you installed any other MODs recently that may have modified files that User Shields also modifies?

Loopz wrote: First thanks for writing what appears to be a very popular Mod.

Thanks you for the kind words and let me know about the above.

Best regards,
Wolf :wink:

bper

Post by bper » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi Wolf - I downloaded the Code Changes version and it has 2 files, the install file and a readme file. It appears the readme is setup to do the changes manually. I have Easymod installed on the forum and am not sure what I need to do to intall it using easymod. It's been a while since I used it and don't want to mess anything up.

Can you give me any advice. I would think easymod would be better and less prone to errors then doing it manually. I realize when I'm done, I need to put the install file in the forum directory and run it, then delete it - bper :D

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:00 pm

bper wrote: Hi Wolf - I downloaded the Code Changes version and it has 2 files, the install file and a readme file. It appears the readme is setup to do the changes manually. I have Easymod installed on the forum and am not sure what I need to do to intall it using easymod. It's been a while since I used it and don't want to mess anything up.

Can you give me any advice. I would think easymod would be better and less prone to errors then doing it manually. I realize when I'm done, I need to put the install file in the forum directory and run it, then delete it - bper :D

Here are the steps I used when dealing with EasyMOD:
  1. Create a new folder on your server under the "admin/mods" folder such as: yourforumroot/admin/mods/newfolder
    (a meaningful folder name such as "codechanges_to_v2022" is recommended)
  2. Upload "phpbb-2.0.21_to_2.0.22.txt" to this new folder on your server
  3. Access EasyMOD's "Install MODs" feature through the ACP (MOD Center) and you're all set to go
    (the preview feature gives you a chance to review changes before they are actually done, so it's a good idea to take a peek)
  4. Create another new folder off the root of your forum such as: yourforumroot/install
  5. Upload (copy) "update_to_latest.php" into this newly created folder
  6. Run the file from your browser URL field such as: http://www.yourforumroot.org/forum/inst ... latest.php
  7. When done, immediately delete the "install" folder and it's content
  8. Check that everything works ok and you're done

Hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Wolf

bper

Post by bper » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:14 pm

Thanks again Wolf - This worked perfect and only took a couple of minutes with EasyMOD. I recommend doing it this way for those like me that don't mess with this stuff all day long. Have a great New Year and don't watch to much football. BTW - I already had the mods folder on the forum server for when I installed User Shield, just made a new folder within it for the new upgrade file - bper :D :D :D

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:24 am

Glad to hear it bper and you are most welcome! :wink:

Loopz

Post by Loopz » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:26 pm

Wo1f

Thanks for your reply :) I went through the files etc that you pointed out. Before i used your update_config_v1_2_1.php to enter the database enteries but as i have phpmyadmin i thought i would take a different approach this time around and try manual entry. I received the following error which i think confirms the database entry is there already. phew :)

Code: Select all

#1062 - Duplicate entry 'username_hide_inac' for key 1 
I restored my pre-updated files for

templates/yourTemplate/index_body.tpl
templates/yourTemplate/memberlist_body.tpl
templates/yourTemplate/admin/board_config_body.tpl
admin/admin_board.php
language/lang_english/lang_admin.php

and entered the changes again. All was fine except i forgot to mention this slight difference which i'm sure shouldnt make a difference but just in case....

For Memberlist_body.tpl i couldnt find

<td class="catBottom" colspan="8" height="28">&nbsp;</td>
but i could find

<td class="catBottom" colspan="{NUM_COLUMNS}" height="28">&nbsp;</td>
so after the amendment it looks like this

<td class="catBottom" colspan="{NUM_COLUMNS}" height="28" align="center">{ACTIVATE_INACTIVE}{DELETE_INACTIVE}</td>
I uploaded all the files again and its the same scenario. My board is very heavily modified imho so i wouldnt be suprised if something is clashing. Off the top of my head i have the following modifications

ADR (game)
Legend of the Green Dragon (which uses a seperate database)
Rabbitoshi
Statistics module
Cash Mod
View Last Posts since visit Mod
Arcade_MOD_v2.1.6
Quick Reply Mod
Spoil Mod
Point system Mod
Chatroom Mod

If need be i could send you all the files that need changing on your mod to see if you can spot anything obvious but i'm scratching my head as what it can be (but i dont know the language of course).

Let me know...still like to get this baby up and running :)

NJ

Lost mod on update

Post by NJ » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:19 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask or if it has already been answered elsewhere. I tried a Search and received URL not found instead of a reply to my query.

I installed User Shield and it was working wonderfully.

Then I received the notice of the upgrade; so, I installed the upgrade, but in the process lost User Shield. However, the forum adminstration site thinks it's still installed. Is there a way to uninstall it and start over?

Thanks so much. I'm pretty new at working with forums administration, but it's an incredible tool!

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:05 pm

Loopz wrote: I uploaded all the files again and its the same scenario. My board is very heavily modified imho so i wouldnt be suprised if something is clashing.

If need be i could send you all the files that need changing on your mod to see if you can spot anything obvious but i'm scratching my head as what it can be (but i dont know the language of course).

Let me know...still like to get this baby up and running :)

Good work Loopz, and I think at this point that it would be more productive if you did send me your files (rename them with a TXT ext.). I'll integrate them in my test environment and see what pop's up. If all is good, then we'll take a closer look at the MOD list you supplied, find the ones that may have common edited files with User Shield and take it from there.

As soon as you make those files available, I will take a look at them.

Best regards,
Wolf

Wo1f

Re: Lost mod on update

Post by Wo1f » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi NJ,
NJ wrote: Then I received the notice of the upgrade; so, I installed the upgrade, but in the process lost User Shield. However, the forum adminstration site thinks it's still installed. Is there a way to uninstall it and start over?

Thanks so much. I'm pretty new at working with forums administration, but it's an incredible tool!

Did you use the:

1 ] "Changed Files Only" upgrade
2 ] "Full Package" upgrade

Once I know which package you used, then I'll be able to help you. As for EasyMOD declaring User Shield as installed, you'll need to go into this table (with phpMyAdmin) --> "__easymod" and delete the entry for User Shield (noting down the MOD ID), as you will also need to delete all entries related to the MOD ID in this table --> "_easymod_processed_files". Once done, you will be able to reinstall User Shield... but I still need to know which installation package you used <-- very important.

Let me know.

Best regards,
Wolf

NJ

User Shield and phpBB upgrade

Post by NJ » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:44 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.

I used the changed files only version.

1) I backed up the database and the forum directory. However, I did not use my head and back up the remote version, which has the mods installed. Mistake #1!

2) Mistake #2, instead of opening the directories in the "Changed files" upgrade and just updating the specific files, I replaced the whole directories, which, of course, lost the other files in those directories. That meant that I had to roll back to the original archived version on some of the directories, but not others. I guess I won't do that one again! It's all in the file management.

Current status: the upgraded forum works; all data is fine, but your wonderful mod is gone. Since then the number of spammers who have registered has gone way up. I haven't approved them, but their profile is visible until I delete them. Good thing I told the robots not to catalog the profile!

Thanks for your help! And a Happy New Year.

skaloumbakas

problem with activation notification...

Post by skaloumbakas » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:33 am

Dear Wo1f,

If you recall, I have installed your STEALTH (he,he) MOD successfully in my very old forum version. I just noticed today a small problem:

I have set the activation to ADMIN and I created a dummy registration for testing ...
- When I activated the new user account through the link of the PM the forum has sent me, the user was notified for the activation event.
- When I activated the new user account through the inactive membership table, such a notification to the user has not been sent.

Happy New Year
Christos Skaloumbakas

Wo1f

Re: User Shield and phpBB upgrade

Post by Wo1f » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:24 pm

NJ wrote: I used the changed files only version.

Allright. In this case, the "Code Changes" package would of been more appropriate as you could of used EasyMOD to install it, without disturbing User Shield.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 12#2701812

I know it's no comfort to you after the fact (I'm not rubbing it in :wink:), I just want to make sure you realize that the "Code Changes" package is the one to use when you have installed MODs and you don't want to reinstall them. This package installs just like a MOD.

NJ wrote: Current status: the upgraded forum works; all data is fine, but your wonderful mod is gone. Since then the number of spammers who have registered has gone way up. I haven't approved them, but their profile is visible until I delete them. Good thing I told the robots not to catalog the profile!
Wo1f wrote: As for EasyMOD declaring User Shield as installed, you'll need to go into this table (with phpMyAdmin) --> "__easymod" and delete the entry for User Shield (noting down the MOD ID), as you will also need to delete all entries related to the MOD ID in this table --> "_easymod_processed_files". Once done, you will be able to reinstall User Shield...

I took for granted that you installed User Shield with EasyMOD. Did the above quoted info help you at all, or did you install manually? If you installed manually and according to your detailed mistakes #1 and 2, there's probably some remaining User Shield edits in this file only (as all others would have been lost when you overwrote those folders - but I'm not 100% sure):

1 ] templates/subSilver/admin/board_config_body.tpl

All you need to do is to delete User Shield's changes for that file (on your server). Then try reinstalling using EasyMOD but make sure to use the preview feature to confirm User Shield has been completely uninstalled.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Best regards,
Wolf

Wo1f

Re: problem with activation notification...

Post by Wo1f » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi skaloumbakas,

Read all about it here:
  • A reply in this thread on November 2nd 2006
[/url]Note: It is included in the upcoming version.

skaloumbakas wrote: Happy New Year

Back at you! 8)

Best regards,
Wolf

Note: Haven't forgotten about your request to remove User Shields database modification when in need. Will pm you with this info once the holiday season is over.

skaloumbakas

Post by skaloumbakas » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:02 pm

Oh well... 31 pages for this topic is too much for me to follow. Sorry for that :oops:

Thanks

Waiting for your updated version...
Christos Skaloumbakas

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:49 pm

@ Loopz

I've gone through the files you sent me, and paid special attention to these 3:

1 ] admin/admin_board.php
2 ] language/lang_english/lang_admin.php
3 ] templates/yourTemplate/admin/board_config_body.tpl

I then integrated them in my test environment and cannot find anything wrong with them. Everything works as advertised. This was done on a phpBB v2.0.22 (subSilver style) with User Shield only.

I also have to doubt at this point that a conflict exists with 1 or more of your other installed MODs as the edits I've seen within these 3 files would not interfere with the database end of things.

Have you check any of the other ACP options to see if this is board-wide or specific to User Shield's option. I would also, using phpMyAdmin, go back to the "__config" table and manually delete User Shield's modification and recreate it (copy and paste in the SQL window or the updater file is fine, whichever method you're confortable with).

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
Wolf

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”