[2.0.21] User Shield

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
79%
Very Good
12%
Good
6%
Fair
2%
Poor
2%

Total votes: 66

Demuzi

Re: [2.0.21] User Shield

Post by Demuzi »

This mod is fantastic. It does exactly what I need and was easy to install with easymod once I realized I had to move the contrib folder and rename it. Many thanks for removing the filth from my memberlist!
Dhiammara

Post by Dhiammara »

Hi Wolf

Many thanks for a great mod. This is actually the first mod I've installed, and I upgraded to v2.0.22 prior to installing both EM and User Shield. Retrospectively I should have checked whether this mod was compatible with v2.022 first (silly me :shock: ).

Anyway, everything seems to have worked fine, and the mod seems to be working - I created a normal user account, and a 'pretend' spammer account to play around with.

My query is...I've checked the ftp structure of the files. I note that in the user_shield folder I created contain the following after installing the mod using EM

backups folder
processed folder
install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt
install_user_shield_v_1_2_1.xml
modx.subsilver.en.xsl
post_process.bat
post>process.sh
update_config_v1_2_1.php

Should I leave these on the ftp server, or delete any or all of the above. I was under the impressiong that config files should be deleted, but I'll take your advice in this matter.

Thanks again - it was a tiring process clearing out the inactive users on a daily basis before I installed this mod.
enigmah

Post by enigmah »

First: I love this MOD :D

I'm using "account activation" -> "admin" together with User Shield, so that there is no need for me as the admin to receive for every new registered user an activation request E-Mail. I prefer to activate all new users via the memberlist add-on from User Shield.
How can I disable the activation request mails?

Thanks!
iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

enigmah wrote:First: I love this MOD :D

I'm using "account activation" -> "admin" together with User Shield, so that there is no need for me as the admin to receive for every new registered user an activation request E-Mail. I prefer to activate all new users via the memberlist add-on from User Shield.

Thanks!
That is a default feature of phpBB3 btw, account activation I mean. User Shield for phpBB3 would be a great modification as well.
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
thecomputergal

Can't delete inactive users

Post by thecomputergal »

Thanks for a great mod! However, I can't delete inactive users from the list. I see the checkbox, but there is no button or other link that would allow me to delete. I am using the SoftGreen skin. Don't know if that's the problem.

Thanks!
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

Hi Demuzi,
Demuzi wrote:This mod is fantastic. It does exactly what I need and was easy to install with easymod once I realized I had to move the contrib folder and rename it. Many thanks for removing the filth from my memberlist!
Thank you so much for the kind words. It is appreciated! ;)

Good luck to you.
Wolf
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

Hi Dhiammara,
Dhiammara wrote:Hi Wolf

Many thanks for a great mod. This is actually the first mod I've installed, and I upgraded to v2.0.22 prior to installing both EM and User Shield. Retrospectively I should have checked whether this mod was compatible with v2.022 first (silly me :shock: ).
As mentionned on the first page (3rd post), it is compatible with v2.0.22 without any changes. ;)

Dhiammara wrote:My query is...I've checked the ftp structure of the files. I note that in the user_shield folder I created contain the following after installing the mod using EM

backups folder
processed folder
install_user_shield_v1_2_1.txt
install_user_shield_v_1_2_1.xml
modx.subsilver.en.xsl
post_process.bat
post>process.sh
update_config_v1_2_1.php

Should I leave these on the ftp server, or delete any or all of the above. I was under the impressiong that config files should be deleted, but I'll take your advice in this matter.
The only files that are safe to delete above, if you want to preserve your option to revert back to a "pre" User Shield state, are the following:

1] install_user_shield_v_1_2_1.xml
2] modx.subsilver.en.xsl
3] update_config_v1_2_1.php

If reverting back to a "pre" User Shield state is not important to you, and after making sure that all features work as advertised, then you can delete all of them including the folders. It's also important to mention that in the case of this installation, there are no security issues concerning config files left on the server whatsoever. Also, by deleting the whole lot, you will still have "orphaned" entries (installation information) in the EasyMOD tables... pointing to nowhere.

Dhiammara wrote:Thanks again - it was a tiring process clearing out the inactive users on a daily basis before I installed this mod.
You are most welcome and good luck to you! 8-)

Best regards,
Wolf
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

Hi enigmah,
enigmah wrote:First: I love this MOD :D

Thanks!
As it's been a while since I've looked at the code, I can't remember offhand the file(s) and code to modify, but yes it's very possible. Maybe I can find some time this week-end to lay it out for you, but no promises. As I've mentionned in the 3rd post of the 1st page of this thread, after 1 year of supporting this MOD, I am no longer in a position to continue to do so.

Also, User Shield v1.2.1 will not send a confirmation that the account has been activated to the new member. This feature is only available in v1.4.2 which unfortunately has not been released and probably will not. On the other hand phpBB v3, which is now very close to going gold has a module in the ACP very similar to User Shield (feature-wise) which will do this, if memory serves me right.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck to you!

Best regards,
Wolf 8-)
Wo1f

Re: Can't delete inactive users

Post by Wo1f »

Hi thecomputergal,
thecomputergal wrote:Thanks for a great mod! However, I can't delete inactive users from the list. I see the checkbox, but there is no button or other link that would allow me to delete. I am using the SoftGreen skin. Don't know if that's the problem.

Thanks!
Yes, that's where the problem lies. Take a look at this post (including the reply below it) which will guide you as what needs to be done to correct this.

• I am not sure how to do this manually? What needs to be changed?
[/url]

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and many thanks for the kind words!

Best regards,
Wolf 8-)
thecomputergal

Post by thecomputergal »

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!

I would like to know if I'm understanding what is happening. Please let me know if there is anything I have wrong in my understanding here
1) The skins aren't related to the functionality programming. Instead a "skin" is different programming to the areas that affect the look/feel of the pages.
2) If #1 is true, anyone should be able to write code that affects the functionality and apply it to all skins, without interferring with the skin.
3) This idea assumes, in a matter of speaking, that the files contain two distinct sets of code, that can be manipulated independently: skins and mods.
4) However, now there are potential update issues. Someone who writes a mod, has no idea what skins are being used by any given user, but the skin files have functionality code, which has to be changed. Does a program, such as EasyMod, have any way of going through all installed skins to make the changes?
5) Could this issue be addressed by using CSS for all skins?
6) So, what I need to do is go into the three files you mentioned, in the posts you sent me to, and make the appropriate changes, as if I were doing a manual install, instead of an EasyMod install.

I appreciate your advise on the big picture!
Nora
enigmah

Post by enigmah »

Wo1f wrote: As it's been a while since I've looked at the code, I can't remember offhand the file(s) and code to modify, but yes it's very possible. Maybe I can find some time this week-end to lay it out for you, but no promises. ...

... On the other hand phpBB v3, which is now very close to going gold has a module in the ACP very similar to User Shield (feature-wise) which will do this, if memory serves me right. ...
Thanks, for your reply. Your support is exelent! But I can understand completely that you would like to stop the time-consuming support after that long time.
Especially when in near future phpBB3 will has implemented a similar feature.
I searched already for the code part in which I can disable the mail notification. Up to now without success.
But I'm a real newbie in phpBB and your MOD is the first one for my board :-) - but I succeeded in installing it manually.
In fact I hoped that a skilled user could mention me the part in the code so that I could modify it.
Don't bother to search only for me the code part!
Either I'll find it on my own or I'll switch in the near future to phpBB3.
Greets
jessica6

Post by jessica6 »

I'm at version 2.0.22, and am interested in this mod. But should I just wait for v3? Will v3 pretty much do this same thing?
I'm also curious how difficult it will be to upgrade from 2.0.22 to v3..
Venicewebsite

Post by Venicewebsite »

Okay, now this I know has to be a stupid question....Sorry for the lack of intelligence.

I am attempting to install the mod User Shield and right off the get go - I looked thru it all and I know how to do all of it but one thing...Decipher the directions! Go Figure

I am sure it's just me but here it is.

When the directions say look in the line for "What Ever I am looking for"] and it directs me #-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------

Am I looking in that particular line and looking for the next very next comma and adding the line because it didn't say after the Semicolon add the new line...

Again, I am no Php guy by any means but If I am sure exactly where these lines go I can breeze thru this.

Thanks for your support

Ken The Idiot
will_hough
Former Team Member
Name: Will Hough

Post by will_hough »

Hey Wo1f -

Is there an add on to User Shield that will send the "You have been activated" email when the user is activated?
chris_iow

Post by chris_iow »

Demuzi wrote:This mod is fantastic. It does exactly what I need and was easy to install with easymod once I realized I had to move the contrib folder and rename it. Many thanks for removing the filth from my memberlist!
Hi,

I have tried to install using easymod but have had problems.

What did you do with the contrib folder to enable it to be installed using easymod ?

Bye For Now

Chris IOW

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”